SciFi Film Festival is an annual festival held in Sydney, Australia, dedicated to exploring and celebrating sci-fi and fantasy genre films and filmmaking.
The festival presents an annual eclectic program showcasing new talent, established creatives and other industry professionals from around the globe that draw a diverse range of audiences.
The SciFi Film Festival, now located at Event Cinemas, in the centre of Sydney's CBD, the heart of the entertainment district.
The festival attracts iconic film professionals as judges and advisers:
· Australia’s Bruce Beresford, The Director of Breaker Morant and 5 Academy Award winner Driving Miss Daisy,
· Hollywood Producer Andrew Sugerman, 30 years as an Independent Filmmaker and Producer, accredited Academy Award Judge and
· Ken Stewart, Producer and former senior creative marketing executive at Paramount Pictures
- Hollywood Producer, Andrew Cosby, American comic book creator, film producer, screenwriter, and most notably the co-creator of the hit SyFy TV series Eureka.
Awards will be presented during the SciFi, at the discretion of the organisers and the Jury Panel.
Mary Shelley Award for Best SciFi Feature Film
Mary Shelley Award for Best Short Film
Mary Shelley Awards are named in memory of the teenage girl who invented modern science fiction in 1818 with her novel Frankenstein, or, The Modern Prometheus. Shelley, went on to create The Last Man (1826), which set the scene for the end of the world in the year 2100. Shelley was inducted into the Science Fiction Hall of Fame, 2014, posthumously.
Lotte Reiniger Award for Best Animation Award (Charlotte "Lotte" Reiniger) is presented in memory of the first feature-length animated genre film in the history of cinema. The The Adventures of Prince Achmed is a 1926 German film, made during the Weimar period.
Georges Méliès Award for Best Special Effects is named after the great French pioneering work in film and innovative special effects.
Léon Theremin Award Best Music/Sound is presented in honour of one of the first electronic musical instruments and the first to be mass-produced. Thanks to its eerie sound effect, the theremin became the signature sound by the 50’s, for science fiction film and television.
Best Female Actor
Best Male Actor
Chris Murray Vanguard Award, an honorary award designed to recognise an industry figure of singular vision whose determination and achievements provide inspiration to those who follow.
Discovery Student Film Award is open to students who are registered in a recognised film school, college or university, when they have made their film.
Terms and Conditions
1. All filmmakers/applicants or entity submitting a film to the SciFi Film Festival (hereafter known as ‘SciFi’, ‘SFFF' ‘We’, ‘Us” and ‘Our”), accept and agree to comply with the following Terms and Conditions
2. SciFi only accepts online registrations and submissions to be assessed. We accept films in any language… However, films not made in English must have English subtitles.
3. The person submitting a film to SciFi Film Festival is ‘You’ or ‘Your’ and You agree that Your film may be screened at SciFi Film Festival event, if it is selected.
4. We only accept films that have been produced during and after 2016
5. All submission fees are non refundable.
6. How to Submit
• Complete and submit Your online submission form.
• Pay relevant Submission fee
• You will receive confirmation of Your successful registration
• Films must be submitted via an online platform.
Student and Young Filmmaker category entrants must be registered in a recognised film school, university, college, high school, middle school or elementary school with proof of ID from the institution to qualify for the relevant fees.
You must supply the following:
• Your Student ID
• Name of school, college or university
• Name of Your Course
• Lecture or teacher
• Email of lecturer or teacher
7. Filmmakers submitting must also supply:
• Production credits and contact details
• 5 Photos for promotional purposes, no smaller than 1024 x 576 pixels
• Media pack for promotional use by SFFF
• Film Poster
• A short trailer of the film (Optional)
8. All films will be accepted and assessed with the view to screening them at a SciFi event(s). However, only films included in the Official Selection will be screened at a cinema venue(s). If Your entry is selected as part of the Official Selection for SciFi, You must provide Us with a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) in order for it to be screened. You will receive instructions on how to submit your DCP.
9. Cinema screenings are scheduled during the festival and or event at the discretion of SciFi. We undertake to make every effort to adhere to the published schedule program, however, SciFi reserves the right to alter this schedule and venue at any time for any reason. SciFi does not accept any liability for any costs claimed to arise as a result of a change in the scheduling.
10. Awards may be presented during the SciFi, at the discretion of the organisers and the Jury Panel.
11. By submitting a film, You grant us the right to screen Your film at one or more SciFi Film Festival event, copy and/or reproduce, modify, adapt and any part thereof, up to one (1) minute of the film submission. We may also use Your submission and any other promotional material/photo’s and/or information submitted by You to communicate it to the public in all media, including via our website and publicity materials, or to advertise and promote SciFi, event(s), its products and services, or all, and to showcase Your film.
12. You own the copyright to Your film as its author and represent and warrant that You have (and will continue to have during the duration of SciFi and thereafter) all necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions we need to use Your film and You will provide evidence of such on our reasonable request.
14. We accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by any person as a result of submitting a film to SciFi and its curation and all related events.
15. You indemnify and hold harmless SciFi from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening materials entered.
For further information contact SciFi Film Festival: email@example.com