Since 1995, The Victoria Film Festival (VFF) has presented the best Canadian and international feature, documentary, and short film to Victoria and Vancouver Island in a ten-day celebration of cinema. Eclectic and inspiring, the festival hosts a wide array of film directors, producers, distributors, and programmers as guests and participants. With a continuing legacy of great workshops, installations, filmmaker lounges, and a legendary opening Gala, this year’s celebration of film and filmmakers is taking place in British Columbia’s capital city February 3rd -12th 2023!
Best Feature Film
Best Canadian Feature
Best Canadian First Feature ($1000 prize)
Best Short Animation
Entertainment Audience Favourite
Audience Favourite Short ($500 prize)
Cultural Currents Award ($1000 prize for film that best facilitates inter-cultural understanding/insights)
Deadline & Fees for Entries
Earlybird postmark deadline: June 24, 2022
Regular postmark deadline: July 22, 2022
Late postmark deadline: August 26, 2022
Notification Date - January 6th, 2023
VFF is now only accepting entries digitally.
All cheque or money orders payable to Victoria Film Festival.
All funds must be in Canadian or US Dollars.
If paying via cheque/money order, include the name of the film being submitted on the payment.
1. May be fiction, documentary, animation or experimental of short or feature length. Virtual or augmented reality projects will also be considered.
2. Only films completed in 2021 or 2022 will be considered.
3. Films which have received television or theatrical exposure in the Victoria, B.C. area prior to the festival are not eligible.
4. Films available and accessible online are not eligible.
5. Please include two film stills and a director's head-shot with your entry. These can be emailed or included with submission.
6. VFF only accepts online screeners for programming purposes. Entries should be submitted by secure password-protected internet link. The link must NOT be visible to the public.
7. If selected for the festival, exhibition prints may be presented via DCP or a QuickTime compliant file by January 13, 2023. Filmmakers must deliver final format as requested for festival in-person and on—line screening. No exceptions. Shorts will be compiled into programs for screening. Digital delivery of titles is preferred.
8. Virtual or augmented reality projects are exempt from some of these requirements as outlined in their category rules.
The festival will provide a complimentary Guest Pass for two representatives from each feature (75+ minutes) presented and six complimentary tickets to one screening of the film. Short filmmakers will receive one complimentary Guest Pass and two complimentary tickets to one screenings of their film.
Entries will be reviewed by a Selection Committee appointed by the Festival Director and Program Manager. The Selection Committee provides a list of those works which it feels should be invited to participate in the VFF and will provide a short list of nominees for VFF awards. Entrants will be notified of the decisions of the Festival by January 6, 2023.
1. All shipping costs to Victoria must be paid by the participant.
2. The Festival will pay the cost of outbound shipping.
3. For international films, our print traffic coordinator will contact you with specific instructions.
4. Promotional materials of selected films become the property of the VFF and can be used to promote the festival and the programs of the festival in all mediums.
The Victoria Film Festival will make every effort to ensure the safe keeping of all films and videos submitted for exhibition. However, the applicant in applying to the festival agrees to release the Festival, its Officers, Directors, and other representatives from any and all claims arising in any way from the submission of materials by or on behalf of the Applicant, whether film, video or otherwise to the festival. If you wish to insure your film, please make arrangements with the Program Manager. You accept these conditions by submitting to us.
Your submission implies that you have the legal right to represent and submit this film for consideration along with your acceptance of The Victoria Film Festival regulations. By submitting this form, you also agree to allow the festival the use of your film and its publicity materials for promotional purposes. Please agree below.
You accept these conditions by submitting to us.