Every year we do this festival we make it the best experience we can for our film makers because we, as fellow artists, and production personnel, understand that it is important to take a moment to acknowledge the hard work, dedication, time and energy for the work you do. Also to reflect on the work that was accomplished and to see where, as artist, there is room to grow, to try new things, take more risks, go for new goals. Growth is crucial as artists, because without it remain stagnant. Art can not survive in a stagnant environment. So we created this to not only acknowledge the hard work that is done by artists, but to provide an environment to network, and polish the craft we love very much.
The African World Festival is an annual celebration of the African diaspora’s diversity, shared heritage and cultures. The festival is hosted by the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in Detroit, MI, one of the world’s largest museums dedicated to the African-American experience, which houses over 35,000 artifacts and archival materials. The festival features spoken word performances, live traditional and folk music, dance troupes, arts & crafts and a plethora of food options and other activities for attendees of all ages. Spanning the course of three days with past attendance of over 50,000 people, the festival provides a delightful weekend of educational entertainment and enriching performances.
The African World Film Festival is used to showcase the work of talented independent filmmakers local to Detroit and across the nation. We encourage people from all backgrounds to submit their films focused on people of African descent.
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM: @africanworldfilmfestival AND TWITTER: AfricanWorldFF
- InkTip publishing opportunity to winner
- 3 month publishing opportunity to iPitch.tv to ALL accepted AWFF filmmakers
- 1 year publishing opportunity to iPitch.tv to winner of AWFF
1. Short Films must not exceed 20 minutes in length, or less than 3 minutes including credits. Feature films must not be less than 45mins and more that 2 hours in length, including credits.
2. All non-English language films MUST have English subtitles or no dialogue.
3. A separate non-refundable entry fee is required for each submission.
4. Submissions may NOT be withdrawn from the Festival once they have been entered, except at the sole discretion of the Festival.
5. All selected films may be excerpted (up to 2 minutes) for publicity purposes.
6. After selection, notification letters will be sent electronically: all acceptance letters will be accompanied by a telephone call: please provide an email address, and telephone number.
7. A DVD copy will need to be sent to the film festival before August 12, 2019.
8. Projects MUST be completed after January 1st
9. Filmmaker MUST have proper license to all copyrighted music, video, and images projected in their short film.
10. All accepted films will be screened. Please note we do not screen Blu-Ray DVDs.