AFRICAN WORLD FILM FESTIVAL WILL HAPPEN IN TANDEM WITH THE AFRICAN WORLD FESTIVAL DATES FOR 2018 ARE AUGUST 17TH-19TH. DONT FORGET TO FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM: africanworldfilmfestival AND TWITTER: AfricanWorldFF
The African World Festival is an annual celebration of the African diaspora’s diversity, shared heritage and cultures. The festival is hosted by the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in Detroit, MI, one of the world’s largest museums dedicated to the African-American experience, which houses over 35,000 artifacts and archival materials. The festival features spoken word performances, live traditional and folk music, dance troupes, arts & crafts and a plethora of food options and other activities for attendees of all ages. Spanning the course of three days with past attendance of over 50,000 people, the festival provides a delightful weekend of educational entertainment and enriching performances.
The 35th Annual AWF will host a film festival to showcase the work of talented independent filmmakers local to Detroit and across the nation. We encourage people from all backgrounds to submit their films focused on people of African descent.
We are accepting all genres: drama, comedy, horror, coming to age, you name it.
Categories (not exclusive to):
Features, Shorts, Documentaries, Animation and Music Videos.
August 17th-19th 2018
Charles H. Wright Museum Theatre
315 E Warren Ave Detroit, MI 48202
This is your day! We welcome you to please travel to Detroit to your viewing. We will have your results in in enough time to plan for the trip.
African World Film Festival and InkTip are now partners for this years festival, and to celebrate this beautiful partnership we are giving away a InkTip script listing to the winner of this years African World Film Festival! Thats right! On top of being shown at the African World Festival your work will be PUBLISHED on InkTips website for producers to see around the world! So be sure to get your idea in now! You never know who may be watching.
- Audience Choice Award
- Best Actor/Actress Award
- Best Cinematography Award
- Best Best Directors Award
- InkTip publishing opportunity to winner
- 3 month publishing opportunity to iPitch.tv to ALL accepted AWFF filmmakers
- 1 year publishing opportunity to iPitch.tv to winner of AWFF
1. Films must not exceed 20 minutes in length, or less than 3 minutes including credits.
2. All non-English language films must have English subtitles or no dialogue.
3. A separate non-refundable entry fee is required for each submission.
4. Submissions may NOT be withdrawn from the Festival once they have been entered, except at the sole discretion of the Festival.
5. All selected films may be excerpted (up to 2 minutes) for publicity purposes.
6. After selection, notification letters will be sent electronically: all acceptance letters will be accompanied by a telephone call: please provide an email address, and telephone number.
7. A DVD copy will need to be sent to the film festival before August 12, 2017.
8. Projects MUST be completed after January 1st, 2015.
9. Filmmaker MUST have proper license to all copyrighted music, video, and images projected in their short film.
10. All accepted films will be screened. Please note we do not screen Blu-Ray DVDs.