The city of Castrovillari announce the 1st edition of the CASTROVILLARI FILM FESTIVAL (CVFF) which will be held in the city of Castrovillari on 24 and 25 August 2019.
We want to create a young and international festival in which the short films will be screened inside the ancient and magical ARAGONESE CASTLE, inside the old city of Castrovillari in souther Italy.
The castle was built between 1461 and 1490 at the behest of Ferdinand I of Aragon. For years it has been a symbol of oppression and suffering, retaining its role of city's prison for over 500 years. After ten years of restoration, the Castle reopened after a long period of closure in 2011, becoming one of the most important cultural centers of the city.
To promote a meeting between the authors, the directors of the selected short films will be hosted by the festival that will cover the accommodation costs (travel costs are borne by the participants). Authors will be contacted via email for all information.
Under the artistic direction of director Antonio La Camera and composer Francesco Sottile, the screening evenings will bring the best of the international short films to the audience with the aim of create a film festival aimed at young filmmakers. For this reason the jury that will award the prizes will be made up of professionals from the world of cinema all under 30 who have already participated with their works in important international festivals such as the Venice Film Festival, BFI Future Film Festival, Calgary Int. Film Festival, St. Louis Int. Film Festival, Braunschweig International Film Festival, RIFF - Russia-Italia Film Festival.
The festival will be documented by local television that will interview the directors and guests.
This year's jury will be composed by Rossella Inglese (director, screenwriter), Andrea Benjamin Manenti (director of photography), Antonio Romagnoli (director, screewriter), Andrea Gatopoulos (producer, director), Francesco Sottile (composer), Antonio La Camera (director).
The jury will award the following prizes which will be divided into cash prizes, technical sponsorships and trophies made by local artists:
BEST NARRATIVE SHORT FILM (€ 300.00 + trophy)
BEST DOCUMENTARY/EXPERIMENTAL SHORT FILM (trophy)
BEST ANIMATION SHORT FILM (trophy)
BEST DIRECTOR (trophy)
BEST SCREENPLAY (trophy)
BEST ACTOR (trophy)
BEST ACTRESS (trophy)
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY (trophy)
BEST EDITING (trophy)
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE (trophy)
In order to enhance the work of young Calabrian directors, a section will be dedicated exclusively to short films directed by Calabrian authors:
BEST CALABRIAN SHORT FILM (trophy)
- The call is open to all national and international works.
- All films must have been made in or after 2015.
- All films must have a maximum duration of 30 minutes.
- The theme of the works will be free.
- Each participant may submit more than one work, but will have to perform registration
for each one of them.
- All films must be submitted with English subtitles.
- Filmmakers are responsible for sorting out the copyright on their own materials.
- By submitting to us, you give us the right to screen your film in front of a live audience.
- We may promote clips from your film on social media.
- We retain the right to change the date and venue of the festival under special
circumstances. All filmmakers will be informed about any changes through our online
- Registration can only be made through the FilmFreeway online platform.