We hope that you and your loved ones are remaining safe and healthy. It has been a difficult year and a time for change for many of us around the world. Webfest Berlin is no exception. After much deliberation and with a very heavy heart I must announce that we have decided to cancel the Webfest Berlin event for 2020 and that Webfest Berlin will close its doors indefinitely at the end of our 2020 online season. We will continue with our monthly online selections, promotions, and awards, and all awards which would have been given at the festival will be announced online in November.
New Year, New Decade, New Webfest Berlin!
After 5 editions of presenting, recognizing, and advancing international short form series, we’ve learned a lot here at Webfest Berlin. We’ve learned about the evolution of the market, what makes successful shows, and how we can best support and expose incredibly talented creators and their shows. So, for our 6th edition, we’re putting our lessons into action and launching a serious upgrade of Webfest Berlin in 2020.
One of the most incongruous aspects of a ‘Webfest’ is that we promote creations for the web, ‘IRL’. But our selections deserve a bigger push in their native home than 1 social media post leading up to the festival and a show name posted on our website or newsletter. Our new concept gives MUCH more online promotion to our selections by focusing on the selections of each category for an entire month. That’s right, each month from May to October, a different category’s selections will be announced, promoted, discussed, reviewed, and judged. Then, at the end of the month the category’s award winner is announced!
What does that mean for Webfest Berlin selections? More views, more fans, and more opportunities to engage with the general audience, buyers, distributors, and talent scouts.
What does that mean for the general audience, buyers, distributors and talent scouts? Less noise. Every month, a ‘best of the best’ selection in each category will be released. No sorting through lists of shows of all genres. No googling obscure show titles. No sitting through hours of screenings to see that one show you’re curious about. Just direct links to at least one episode of each official selection on our website, in our newsletters, and on our social media channels.
Our 2020 theme is #WFBTRENDSETTERS. Each month we’ll highlight series and creators that we believe are setting the trends of the year. Whether it’s writing, pacing, visual technique, genre, time period, or format, we’re just scratching the surface of the possibilities that the web provides for series. As always, we’re keeping a close eye on ‘what’s next’!
Make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube, signup for our newsletter, and submit your series to take part in this exciting new evolution of Webfest Berlin!
Who knows?? Maybe YOU are the #WFBTRENDSETTER who will #BEWHATSNEXT at Webfest Berlin 2020.
Find out more about the opportunities that Webfest Berlin offers at www.webfest.berlin
Best Sound Design
What's Next: Writer
What's Next: Director
What's Next: Producer
Best German Series
Grand Prize Winner
GENERAL RULES FOR SERIES SUBMISSION:
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Applicant can submit more than one series to the festival.
- Each submission requires an entry fee.
- Content submitter must be 18 years of age or older.
- Submission must have at least TWO (2) produced episodes produced at time of entry - EXCEPT FOR PILOT CATEGORY SUBMISSIONS
- Submissions must have at least ONE (1) episode publicly accessible online during the entire month of their category's focus.
- All series are eligible to submit regardless of production date.
- Episodes cannot exceed 20 minutes in length. Series with individual episodes exceeding 20 minutes in length are welcome to submit a shortened version(s) of an episode(s) for the purpose of entering into the festival.
- Please choose the genre that best represents your series even if your series can be classified under more than one category.
- Duplicate submissions under a different category are allowed, but a separate submission form and payment must be made.
- Previous Webfest Berlin Official Selections must submit a minimum of 2 episodes from a new season of the project to be eligible for consideration.
- Entries that are not in English must be dubbed in English or have English subtitles for at least 2 episodes.
- A minimum of 4 series will be selected in each category. Selections will be announced on the 1st of each month between May and October. Juries for each category will consist of past Webfest Berlin winners plus one vote to be determined by public voting.
- Additional German series of any genre will be selected and announced on October 1. German series submitted before each category's deadline will be considered for both the category selection and the German series selection. German series submitted AFTER the category deadline will not be eligible for best in category awards, but may be selected and are eligible for all other awards.
- Submissions must be the intellectual property of the submitter, and/or their team. No proxy submissions.
- By submitting to Webfest Berlin, you confirm that you hold the rights to (or are authorized to use) any and all audio and video in your web series.
- Webfest Berlin will not be held responsible for any claims stemming from the failure of the creator/submitter to properly obtain the rights to material submit and/or screened.
- All Decisions made by Webfest Berlin are final.
- All federal and state laws apply.
- By participating in the Webfest Berlin, each participant agrees to hold Webfest berlin and its employees, directors and representatives harmless from any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind in connection with the event or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of any prize.
- You grant Webfest Berlin the right to use the name, logo and content of your web series for awards presentations, highlight reels, and promotional material.
- Webfest Berlin reserves the right to amend guidelines, selection criteria, awards, screenings, and activities at any time if necessary.