CLOSET CINEMA is an Albuquerque-based nonprofit organization dedicated to showcasing queer cinema in an attempt to highlight the richness of the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender experience. We serve our diverse communities by producing the Way OUT West Film Fest and other events.
A FEW FACTS
One of the State's largest film festivals. Closet Cinema is recognized as New Mexico's leading GLBT non-profit organization dedicated to presenting a diverse array of GLBTQ images through film media arts. Way OUT West Film Fest will be celebrating its twentieth annual event this Fall.
In 2022, WOWFF with an attendance of 5,000 is one of the top LGBTQ film festivals in the Southwest.
WOWFF will run for 10 days, October 13-22, screen over 100 features, shorts, and documentaries in over 30 programs, and represent over 20 countries, while hosting an array of guests and filmmakers - creating a truly regional experience.
The festival this year is planning to hold in-person as well as virtual screenings throughout the ten days.
Each year, our film loving audience picks their favorite films for our Audience Awards. Awards go to Favorite Feature Film, Favorite Documentary Film, and Favorite Short Film
Way OUT West Film Fest
Film Submission Guidelines
October 13-22, 2023
Each year, our film-loving audience picks their favorite films for our Audience Awards. Awards go to Favorite Feature Film, Favorite Documentary Film, and Favorite Short Film
FESTIVAL EXHIBITION FORMATS
Preferred - Blu-ray (NTSC), DVD (NTSC OR PAL), DCP in some cases.
Early — Entry postmarked by June 15, 2023 ($20.00 fee per title)
Regular — Entry postmarked by July 31, 2023 ($30.00 fee per title)
Late — Entry postmarked by August 15, 2023 ($40.00 fee per title)
Extended — Entry postmarked by Aug 30, 2023 ($50.00 fee per title)
HOW TO ENTER
1. Submit your online screener using one of our submission portal (FilmFreeway).
2. All entry forms must be postmarked by August 30, 2023
3. Films in the festival need to be a New Mexico premiere. So note whether the film is a world, US, Southwest, or New Mexico premiere on the entry form.
4. Entry fees are as follows: $20.00 per title for early bird deadline which is June 15, and $30.00 per title for the regular deadline which is July 31. The late deadline is August 15 ($40.00)
5. In addition to the preview screener, you may send photos (EPK) and other publicity materials.
6. If your work is accepted we will notify you by no later than September 16. We will require your exhibition tape or print by September 20.
7. We will return your exhibition copy (unless it is not being forwarded to another festival or destination) by November 12. Please note, we do not return DVD exhibition copies.
8. The shipment of exhibition materials to the festival must be paid by the applicant. Return shipment of exhibition materials will be paid by the festival. Closet Cinema accepts no responsibility for loss or damage of entries during shipment to or from the festival.
9. Unfortunately, we are not able to pay film rental fees for submitted works.
10. Once a film is submitted it may not be withdrawn.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. Entrant has read, understood and fully agrees with all submission guidelines, terms and conditions, and eligibility requirements.
2. The film is not the subject of any litigation or threatened litigation.
3. The entrant is duly authorized to submit this film to the competition.
4. The entrant holds the Way OUT West Film Fest and sponsor organizations harmless and indemnifies it from any damage to media en route or otherwise during the course of the festival's possession of the film. In addition, the entrant agrees to hold the Way OUT West Film Fest harmless and indemnify it from cost and/or damages incurred as a result of any litigation and or threatened litigation as a result of the screenings of the film.
5. All films not in English must have English subtitles.
6. The number(s), date(s), time(s), and location(s) of the screenings of films are at the discretion of the Festival.
7. The Festival reserves the right to complete any information not supplied by the filmmaker from whatever source available and will not be responsible for any incorrect information.
8. The entrant acknowledges and agrees that all matters not covered by these regulations, and questions arising from them, will be decided by Festival organizers or programmers at their discretion.
9. The Board of the Way OUT West Film Fest reserves the right to disqualify entries for any reason. All judges' decisions are final.
10. By submitting this film, the entrant hereby grants the Way OUT West Film Fest all necessary rights to screen this film and use short clips of the film for the purposes of advertising and promotion.