DUST and Justin Lin’s YOMYOMF present a sci-fi short film competition for student filmmakers. The winner will get a chance to work with DUST executives and develop their short film submission into a show bible or feature film outline.
Filmmakers participating in the competition are asked to incorporate one of three selected quotes from H.G. Wells’ iconic novel, “The Time Machine,” credited with popularizing the concept of time travel. The quote must be said aloud in the short film to be considered for the competition, which will result in very different (and distinct) presentations of the material.
The selected quotes are
“We are always getting away from the present moment”
“It sounds plausible enough tonight, but wait until tomorrow."
"There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”
All films must be between 1 and 3 minutes to be considered.
The winner will get the opportunity to develop their short film submission into a show bible or feature film outline with the DUST executive team.
YOMYOMF x DUST Short Sci-Fi Film Competition- OFFICIAL RULES (the “Official Rules”)
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING. ENTRY IN THIS CONTEST CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
1. SPONSOR: The YOMYOMF x DUST Short Sci-Fi Film Competition (the “Contest”) is sponsored by Dust Studios, LLC (“Dust”) and YOMYOMF, LLC (“YOMYOMF,” with Dust, the “Sponsors”).
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the contiguous forty-eight (48) United States and the District of Columbia who are film students and are eighteen (18) years of age or older at the time of entry (“Entrants”). Void in Puerto Rico and where prohibited or restricted by law. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
The following persons are ineligible to enter or win the Contest: Employees, interns, or contractors of Sponsors, YOMYOMF, LLC. (“YOMYOMF”), Sponsor’s advertising or promotion agencies, those involved in the production, development, implementation or handling of this Contest (defined below), any agents acting for, or on behalf of the above entities, their respective parent companies, officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, service providers, prize suppliers and fulfillment companies, and any other person or entity associated with this Contest (collectively, the “Contest Entities”). Household Members and Immediate Family Members of such individuals are also not eligible to enter or win. For purposes of these Official Rules, “Household Members” shall mean those people who share or have shared the same residence for at least three months in a year and “Immediate Family Members” shall mean parents, step-parents, legal guardians, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, or spouses, regardless of where they live. YOMYOMF is not responsible for the collection, submission, or processing of entries, the administration of the Contest, the selection of winners or the fulfillment of prizes. Entrants are providing information to Sponsor and not to YOMYOMF.
SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RESTRICT PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST OR DISQUALIFY ANY ENTRY IN THE CONTEST FOR ANY REASON INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY ACT IN VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES OR ANY DISRUPTIVE, UNETHICAL, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT.
3. CONTEST PERIOD: The Contest begins at 8:00:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time (“PDT”) on June 1, 2019 and ends at 11:59:59 PM PDT on July 31, 2019 (“Contest Period”).
4. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, go to http://watchdust.com/competition through the Contest entry portal (the “Website”) during the Contest Period and follow the instructions and submit a fully-cleared science fiction short film between one (1) to three (3) minutes in length that includes one of the three following quotes, spoken and/or clearly heard, from HG Well's The Time Machine (i) "We are always getting away from the present moment", (ii) "It sounds plausible enough tonight, but wait until tomorrow" or (iii) "There is no intelligence where there is no need of change" (collectively, the “Material”)
LIMIT: One Entry per person regardless of method of entry. All required Entrant information must be fully complete and legible. Entries must be electronically received by Sponsors during the Contest Period. Each Entry must be submitted by the Entrant him or herself. Entries received after the close of the Contest Period or by any other method of entry will be automatically disqualified. All Entries must comply with the Entry Requirements set forth below. Sponsors are not responsible for late, lost, undelivered, invalid, incomplete, misdirected, illegible, destroyed or damaged Entries, all of which will be disqualified. Entrants agree to be bound by and acknowledge compliance with these Official Rules.
Entrants are submitting their information to Sponsors. Entrants should direct questions or comments to Sponsors. Entrants may be required to submit as part of registration on the Website certain contact information, including but not limited to the Entrant’s name, age, address, phone number, email address, or social media usernames. All content submitted by Entrant, including the Entries, and any contact information shall be referred to hereafter as “Submission Materials.”
By entering the Contest, Entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that: (i) the Entry is an original work created solely by the Entrant; (ii) that the Submission Materials do not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the Submission Materials, (iii) Entrant owns and controls without any limitations, restrictions, or encumbrances whatsoever, the performance, exhibition, advertising, and all other rights granted to Sponsors hereunder in and to the Entry and Entrant has obtained all necessary licenses and permissions as may be required for the full and unlimited exercise and enjoyment by Sponsors of all of the rights herein granted in the Entry to Sponsors; (iv) the Entry does not contain any product placement, brand integration, sponsorship or any type of endorsement; (v) the synchronization rights and master use rights for music contained in the Entry has been obtained, and Sponsors will not be required to make any payment with respect thereto to any third-party (e.g., any performing rights organizations) as a result of their exploitation of the Entry as provided herein. Submission Materials must not, as determined in the sole discretion of Sponsors, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content. By entering the Contest, Entrants certify that they have read, understood and agreed to the terms of these Official Rules; and (vi) the Entry has not been previously distributed, exhibited or otherwise exploited in any media.
5. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Submission Materials must comply with the requirements set forth below. If Submission Materials fail to comply with any of these requirements or any other provisions of these Official Rules, Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify the Entrant and the Entrant’s submission will not be eligible to win.
a. Must not contain material that violates or infringes another's rights, including without limitation, privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, including copyright infringement, or legal or moral rights of any third party, living or deceased;
c. Must not disparage Sponsors, the Project, the Judges, or any other person or party affiliated with the Contest, the Material, and administration of this Contest;
d. Must not include any personally identifiable information (e.g., Entrant's address or telephone number);
e. Must be the sole, exclusive and original work of the Entrant and must not contain images or artwork, music, quotes, parodies or other materials not created by Entrant or not properly licensed from a third party and fully paid for;
f. Must not contain any logos, brand names or trademarks, and must not otherwise contain an advertisement, solicitation, or other commercial content;
g. Must not contain, facilitate, reference, or use material that is fraudulent, indecent, lewd, pornographic, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
h. Must not contain, facilitate, reference or use material that contains prohibited content which shall include, but is not limited to, content that promotes, suggests, or encourages the use of firearms/weapons/ammunition, any illegal drugs, prostitution, pornography, profanity or other adult content, violence, or the use of alcohol or tobacco products, or the taking up of arms against any person, government or entity;
i. Must not contain any viruses, spyware, malware, or other malicious components that are designed to harm the functionality of a computer in any way;
j. Must not contain, facilitate, reference, or use material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, ethnicity, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, political orientation, citizenship, ancestry, marital status, or age;
k. Must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where the Entry is created; and
l. Meets all the terms of these Official Rules.
6. HOW TO WIN:
Prize: One (1) “winner will be chosen at the sole discretion of Sponsors (the “Judges”), who will review and judge the Submission Materials privately and in their sole discretion. An Entrant will be will be selected by the judges as a “Winner” based on the originality, creativity and overall quality of the Entry. The Winner will be selected on August 31, 2019 12:00 PM PT. The Winner will be notified and confirmed via e-mail to the information provided by the Entrant.
All Entrants selected must meet all eligibility requirements, including without limitation the timely execution and return of all necessary releases and documents (if any) required by Sponsors. By entering this Contest, Entrants give their express permission to be contacted by Sponsors by telephone, email and/or postal mail for promotional purposes only. Sponsors reserve the right to disqualify anyone not fully complying with the Official Rules.
Sponsors shall have no liability for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by a potential winner for any reason. If, despite reasonable efforts, a potential winner does not respond within one (1) business day of the first notification attempt (or a shorter time if required by exigencies), or if the Prize or Prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to such potential winner, such potential winner will forfeit his or her prize and an alternate winner may be selected. Sponsors, in their sole discretion and time permitting, will attempt to contact up to two (2) potential winners of a Prize in accordance with the above procedure, after which the Prize in question may go unawarded if it remains unclaimed. If any potential Prize winner is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules or declines the prize for any reason prior to award, such potential Prize winner will be disqualified and an alternate Prize winner may be selected. A potential winner must verify his or her address and return within one (1) business day an affidavit of eligibility. Failure of any winner to return the affidavit of eligibility within the specified time period may result in forfeiture of the Prize and selection of an alternate winner from the remaining eligible entries for that prize. A Prize will not be awarded until all such properly executed forms are returned and such forms must be returned by September 5, 2019 12:00 PM PT. Upon verification of the Winner’s eligibility, Sponsors will deliver the Prize to the Winner at the Event.
Prize: The Winner will have the opportunity to develop their short film submission into a show bible or feature film outline with Dust (the “Prize”).
Prizes are not available for sale. Winner is not entitled to the difference, if any, between the actual and approximate retail value of the Prize. The Prizes must be accepted as awarded, are non-transferable, non-exchangeable and not redeemable for cash or otherwise. Sponsors make no representations or warranties with respect to the Prizes. Sponsors make no representations or warranties with respect to the Prize, and make no guarantee that any production will result from the Prize. No cash equivalents, transfers or substitution of the Prizes are permitted, except by Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to substitute Prizes of comparable value if the Prizes listed are unavailable, in whole or in part, for any reason. THE WINNER IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF THE PRIZE. ANY OTHER COSTS OR EXPENSES ASSOCIATED WITH THE PRIZE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMTIATION, ANY EXPENSES ASSOCIATED WITH THE ENTRIES, WILL BE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PRIZE RECIPIENT. Sponsors reserve the right to modify prize award procedures at their discretion. The approximate retail value the Prize is Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000). If the Contest is canceled, rescheduled for any reason, or if Sponsors determine that the winning Entries are not suitable or cleared for exhibition, for any reason in their sole discretion, Sponsors shall have no further obligation to the Winner. Sponsors may require that the Winnes sign additional documents relating to the Prizes, including, without limitation, a license agreement relating to the production of the Entry.
8. LICENSE: Each Entrant retains ownership of his or her own Submission Materials. Each Entrant hereby grants to Sponsors and their affiliated companies and designated agents a non-exclusive, transferable, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty free, unconditional, fully paid license and right:
a. to post and to make, have made, use, copy, reproduce, modify, and create derivative works of, the Submission Materials and any materials provided by the Entrant , in any and all media, throughout the universe now known or hereafter devised, in perpetuity,
b. to publicly perform or display, import, broadcast, transmit, distribute (directly and indirectly), or license the Submission Materials (and derivative works thereof) in any and all media, throughout the universe now known or hereafter devised, in perpetuity, and
c. to sublicense to third parties the foregoing rights, including the right to sublicense to further third parties.
Each Entrant consents to the use of the name, statements, photographs, videos, and likenesses of himself/herself and any other person appearing in the Submission Materials, for publicity purposes, as well as any other purpose. If requested, Entrant will sign any documentation that may be required for Sponsors or their designees to make use of the rights Entrant is granting to use the Submission Materials.
9. ODDS OF WINNING: The odds of winning are determined by and depend upon the total number of eligible Entries received during the Contest Period and the decisions of the Judges using the criteria outlined above. Many will enter, few will win.
10. RELEASE: By participating, Entrants agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless YOMYOMF, Sponsors, Judges, and each of their respective parent(s), subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, and each of their respective officers, directors, members, managers, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any injuries, losses, damages, claims, or causes of action, including without limitation personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of or in connection with participation in the Contest or acceptance, possession, use, misuse or nonuse of the Prizes, and the marketing, promotion, use, exhibition, distribution or other exploitation of the applicable Entry.
11. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Released Parties are not responsible for lost, incomplete, late, damaged, undelivered, inaccurate or misdirected Submission Materials; failures or malfunctions of data networks or telephone systems or other communications malfunctions; interrupted or unavailable network, Internet Service Provider (ISP), cable, satellite, server or other connections; miscommunications, failed computer hardware or software or other technical failures; lost, misrouted or scrambled transmissions; any error, omission, interruption, defect or delay in any transmission or communication; traffic congestion on the Internet or for any technical problem, including but not limited to any injury or damage to Entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation in this Contest; printing, typographical or other errors appearing within these Official Rules or in any Contest-related advertisements or other materials; or other errors or problems of any kind whether mechanical, human, technical, electronic or otherwise, including, without limitation, errors that may occur in connection with the administration of this Contest, the processing or judging of Submission Materials the announcement of the prize, the incorrect uploading of any Submission Materials, or in any other Contest-related materials. This limitation of liability is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect, or consequential damages; loss of data, income or profit; loss of damage to property; and claims of third parties. ENTRANTS AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES HAVE NOT MADE NOR ARE IN ANY MANNER RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY, TITLE, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NONINFRINGEMENT), IN FACT OR IN LAW, AS REGARDS TO THE ENTRY PROCESS, THE CONTEST, THE PRIZES, OR ANY COMPONENTS OF THE PRIZES IN THE CONTEST.
12. PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited, participation in this Contest constitutes each Entrant's consent to Sponsors’ (and Sponsors’ agents) use of entrant's name, likeness, voice, opinions and biographical information for publicity, advertising, trade or promotional purposes in any media or manner, now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, without further payment, consideration, notice or approval.
13. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Winning the Prize is contingent on fulfilling all the requirements set forth herein. Mass entries, automated entries, entries submitted by third parties, and any entries or prize claims that are late, incomplete, fraudulent, illegible, unidentified or delayed will be void. All entries and prize claims are subject to verification. Proof of entry does not constitute proof of receipt. Entrants agree to abide by these Official Rules. Decisions of Sponsors will be final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. Void where prohibited. Sponsors reserve the right to correct any typographical, printing, computer programming or operator errors. Sponsors' failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision of the Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, then the Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein. Should a Winner make any false statement(s) in any document referenced above, the Winner will be required to promptly return to Sponsors his/her prize, or the cash value thereof. Sponsors reserve the right at their sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process, the operation of the Contest, violates these Official Rules, or acts with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person.
14. RIGHT TO VOID Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion, to modify, cancel, terminate, and/or suspend the Contest and to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process or violates these Official Rules, or otherwise acts in any manner disruptive to the Contest. Sponsors may lock out an entrant who, in Sponsors’ sole judgment, has been disqualified or is otherwise ineligible to enter. WARNING: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO PROSECUTE AND SEEK DAMAGES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Without limiting the foregoing, Sponsors may modify, cancel, terminate, and/or suspend the Contest if, in Sponsors’ sole opinion, an incident of any kind occurs to corrupt or impair the administration, security, integrity, fairness or play (as intended) of the Contest, including without limitation: (a) viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention, fraud or technical failure; or (b) earthquake, flood, fire, storm or other natural disaster, act of God; or (c) labor controversy or threat thereof, civil disturbance or commotion, disruption of the public markets, war or armed conflict (whether or not officially declared). In the event of a cancellation or termination, prizes may be awarded in any manner deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsors.
15. PRIVACY: Information collected from Entrants will not be re-used, sold or shared in any manner by Sponsors or any third parties unless entrant has opted-in to receive additional information and promotional material from Sponsors or a third party.
16. DISPUTES/GOVERNING LAW: This Contest and these Official Rules shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of California without regard to its principles of conflicts of law. Except where prohibited, each Entrant agrees that:
a. any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by state or federal courts situated in Los Angeles County, California;
b. any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event attorneys' fees;
c. no punitive, incidental, special, consequential or other damages, including without limitation lost profits may be awarded (collectively, "Special Damages"), and
Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim Special Damages and all rights to have such damages multiplied or increased.
17. WINNERS LIST/RULES REQUEST: For a copy of the Official Rules and/or list of winners, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the request ‘YOMYOMF x DUST Short Sci-Fi Film Competition in the subject line of the email. Requests must be received within thirty (30) days following the end of the Contest Period.