CINETORO EXPERIMENTAL FILM FESTIVAL
CineToro Experimental Film Festival space dedicated to the circulation and training of experimental filmmakers; seeks innovation in independent production in the world and builds bridges between the emerging talents of the region and the most outstanding national and international artists. We understand experimental cinema as one in which poetry and plastic arts converge; and that traces its limit beyond the perimeter of the spectacular, of technical correctness, of the themes and forms that are on the "agenda".
CINETORO celebrates aesthetic diversity, new narratives, new media and formats; commitment to programming that evokes the strict sense of an expanded image: the audiovisual work as media plurality, which investigates, problematizes, and seeks to provoke reflection on social and historical contexts, technology and art, interaction, dialogue, space, time. Citing Gene Youngblood and his expanded cinema as that set of narrative material experiments, space -temporal, social, sexual, multi-screen, multi-projection- multi-perspective.
Ani-Metanoia (Focus Experimental Animation)
We use the term Metanoia to look at the world from another perspective in parallel to the animated experimental processes that seek from their nature a restoration of the psyche, a sensory spectrum from the image. We are talking about a world that is based on the exploration of time, movement and sound.
Metanoia is a change of focus, a change from one perspective to another, which in turn is related to perception. It is an invitation to see the world with other eyes, to find a new way of seeing things, to be disruptive with the times, forms and structures.
Metanoia means to retrace the path traveled with another vision and with another perspective. It is having an epiphany or a revelation, it is a metaphor for healing, reconciliation and transformation towards something positive.
This year we make a special invitation to experimental animated films that search for Metanoia: a destination that allows us to reformulate our purposes, to conceive animation as a tool for the construction of sensory-thinking; an aesthetic root that goes through affective dimensions to find creative reflections on time, movement and sound in today's animation.
The Selection Team will be in charge of giving preponderance to experimental animation, a focus that seeks to make national and international production visible, allowing the public access to the contents and recognition of the artists. We will also have the opportunity to open the stage to transdisciplinary and expanded practices, which are very typical within the experimental animation scene. The festival has the urgency of continuing to be an alternative for artists in their desire to find an audience, and satisfy audiences waiting for a significant film and/or experience. It is necessary to refresh the screens with expanded content, creative frontiers typical of live arts, where other artistic fields converge and radiate, allowing the festival to be valuable and different, both for the public and for the market.
Best Experimental Film Curation Ani-Metanoia
Rules & Terms
We accept works with challenging and diverse content, but we do not support misogynistic, sexist, racist, classist and homophobic works in any of their forms.
• The works should last from 1 to 15 minutes.
• The works must have been completed between 2022 and 2023.
• International works of non-Hispanic language must have subtitles in Spanish.
• Works in Spanish works must have English subtitles.
• The Films must have the rights over all the artistic material that appears in the work.
• The Festival gives priority to national and international premieres of the films.
• Films that are not properly registered will not be accepted.
• The owners of the selected films consent that they be shown both in a physical venue and in the possible virtual exhibition that could be held this year.
• The festival commits to circulate the selected films in our allied festivals: Alucine Media Art Latin Fest, Cinemattic, without exclusive distribution rights.
• CINETORO understands that the person responsible for the work (director, producer, distributor) is the owner of the distribution and copyright. The festival is based on the good faith of those responsible for registration and under no circumstances is responsible for disputes over the rights of the music, the image or the authorship of the work or the elements that compose it.
• The festival does not pay exhibition fees.
The selected works will be notified by email and published on our website on September 30 of 2023.
The selected works, once notified, must send the following files to the festival organization through the Internet, within the deadlines required for film traffic control:
• Digital file in .MOV / MP4 format (1920 X 1080) in its original resolution with H.264 compression scheme or greater than 6 seconds. // DCP file "Flat" 1: 85: 1 (Optional)
• AUTHORIZATION: Work Use License (completed and signed) the organization will provide format through firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as the film is selected.
• Poster of the work in JPG 72dpi format in its original size
• 1 Photograph of the director of work in JPG 72dpi format
• 2 frames of the work in JPG 72dpi format
• The photographs and advertising material of the work will be used by the organization of the festival in order to promote the participation of the work within the framework of the festival and the activities of the festival.
• Project trailer (Optional)
• By signing the registration form, the filmmaker authorizes CINETORO EXPERIMENTAL FILM FESTIVAL to use all promotional materials presented, including, but not limited to, still-frames, descriptions, director's biography and film screening history in any and all forms of media for the express purpose of promoting and advertising the festival. Please note that the CINETORO EXPERIMENTAL FILM FESTIVAL may ask filmmakers for permission to use clips from the officially selected films for television and Internet advertising. However, the festival will limit the footage to less than a minute and will not authorize the television broadcast of any work without the direct consent of the filmmaker and / or producers.