***10th Anniversary Denton Black Film Festival - Celebrate with us!!! ***
DBFF is dedicated to preserving and celebrating Black culture with film at its heart and spotlights on other forms of storytelling, like spoken word, art, music, comedy, and dance. We also highlight social justice issues through films and panel discussions. We are looking for creatives from all around the world who want to share "our" stories. The submission categories offer a wide range of opportunities whether you are a new filmmaker or have an established career in the industry.
Each year we host curated experiences alongside our competitive film festival. Being accepted means you get access and the opportunity be a part of insightful panel discussions, music, comedy, spoken word, virtual events, and technology experiences all designed to inspire and connect you with like minds, hone your craft and of course, #ExperienceCulture. It's time to get noticed at the 2024 Denton Black Film Festival!
The competitive program awards are provided in each category and have included Panavision camera packages, cash prizes, trophies, and certificates. Finalists for each award category are determined by the submission team's ratings. The selection of award recipients in each category is accomplished through a ranking system by appointed jurors which includes industry professionals and film enthusiasts. Award winners are announced at the Awards Celebration and on social media at the end of the festival..
Note: Award eligibility is subject to any restrictions or conditions imposed by applicable laws and regulations (international, federal, state or otherwise), and the award recipient is responsible for all applicable taxes, tariffs, insurance, and similar charges or costs (if any).
For international filmmakers, awards and prizes will have free shipping, but the filmmaker is responsible for any duties, taxes, special fees, etc. Certain prizes may not be available internationally and may only be available in the USA. No alternate or additional compensation will be provided in this situation.
Screening Filmmaker Benefits:
– Two VIP Experience (All Access) Festival privileges for filmmaker and one guest
– Six complimentary tickets for your film’s screening
--Additional passes and tickets may be requested at discounted prices
-- Filmmaker events i.e., panels, workshops, award programs, mixers, etc.
Note: While many classes and events are free some of the special master
classes, etc. may have discounted fees.
– Access to any special VIP spaces
– Discounted hotel accommodation rates are available for all filmmakers and
Festival attendees. Deadline dates for reservations apply.
* Categories, awards, and benefits are subject to change at the discretion of DBFF*
Eligible films must be:
1. Written, directed, or produced by Black filmmakers; or
2. Prominently feature Black actors; or
3. Feature subject matter which relates to the Black community and/or Black experience.
Filmmakers of all races and ethnicities are welcome to submit when at least one of the previously mentioned criteria are met.
• Open to U.S. and international entries. Films made in a language other than English must have English subtitles.
• Films submitted through FilmFreeway with paid submission fees are eligible for the Competitive awards program. Films in competition may not have had commercial distribution. Invitational films may be included in Festival programming but are not eligible for awards. If you have previously been an Official or Invitational Selection you may request an Alumni discount code at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Films must be submitted through FilmFreeway with an online screener with HD, YouTube, or Vimeo as the preferred methods.
• Films should be completed by the final submission date as works in progress are not accepted.
• Selected films will be provided at the filmmaker’s expense in the specified exhibition format by the date specified by DBFF.
• College student and Texas High School category films must provide proof of student status at the time of production by uploading a copy of a dated student ID or unofficial transcript showing to FilmFreeway or sending this documentation to email@example.com. This proof should be provided when the film is submitted for consideration.
• Press kits, photo materials, trailers, teasers, or any other promo materials should be provided through FilmFreeway at the time of submission.
Film submissions attest original work with no disputes regarding ownership or copyright. The submitted work does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead and DBFF.
• Submitted films may be utilized for promotional purposes of the Festival, limited to private screenings, and preview-only copies for press and supporters, unless otherwise arranged with DBFF.
• Submission fees are non-refundable, and once submitted a film may not be withdrawn without a written request and then at the sole discretion of DBFF.
All submissions and selected entries will be handled with the utmost care. However, DBFF cannot accept responsibility for losses, damages or additional charges incurred during shipping, due to file errors, due to authoring errors, due to normal wear and tear, or due to equipment failure.
DBFF is not responsible for any claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) arising from or in connection with any claim (including those of third parties) involving music clearances, copyright, trademark, credits, publicity of any film submitted to or screened by DBFF.
Submission grants DBFF and its affiliates permission for accepted films (3 minutes maximum) and related marketing and promotional materials to be reproduced and distributed solely for purposes of promotion of the festival.