The Denton Black Film Festival (DBFF) is a "Black Cultural" experience in an inclusive environment with Film at its " Heart" with spotlights on Art, Music, Spoken Word, Dance,, Social Justice Panels, and more. The DBFF Institute (DBFFi) hosts workshops, panels, and events to connect “Creatives”, to hone your craft and provide insight into the entertainment industry. In 2022 DBFF Interactive Tech Expo returns to the festival.
A special awards program is held to celebrate all filmmakers and announce the award winners for the competitive film submissions program during the festival.
The Denton Black Film Festival Institute DBFFi, a 501 (c) 3 non-profit presents the presents the film festival in association with the Denton African American Scholarship Foundation which provides college scholarships for eligible students preparing them as leaders for tomorrow and change agents for a global society.
Awards & Prizes
2022 Award Prizes - To Be Announced
2021 Winners received Panavision camera packages, cash, and trophies and certificates. Runner Ups and Honorable Mentions in all categories receive DBFF trophies and/or certificates totaling over $45,000.
At DBFF the objective is to be equitable in the award process. Finalists for each award category are determined by the submission team's ratings and announced prior to the festival's opening day. The selection of Award and Prize recipients in each category are accomplished through a ranking system by appointed jurors, who are industry professionals and/or film and music enthusiasts. Award winners are announced at the Awards Celebration and on social media by the closing of the festival. Invitational selections receiving waivers are not eligible to compete for awards and prizes. Winners not in attendance will receive their awards via mail within two weeks of the festival's closing.
Special Notes: Award eligibility is subject to any restrictions or conditions imposed by applicable laws and regulations (international, federal, state or otherwise), and the award recipient is responsible for all applicable taxes, tariffs, insurance, and similar charges or costs (if any).
For international filmmakers: Awards and Prizes have free shipping, but the filmmaker is responsible for any duties, taxes, special fees, etc. Certain prizes may not be available internationally and may only be available in the USA. No alternate or additional compensation will be provided in this situation.
**Benefits for All Films Selected for Screening:
– Two VIP Experience (All Access) festival privileges for filmmaker and one guest
– Six complimentary tickets + discounts for additional tickets may be requested for film
production team and immediate family for filmmaker’s screening.
– Special Filmmaker Events i.e. panels, workshops, award program, mixers, etc.
– Access to any special VIP spaces
– Discounted hotel accommodation rates are available for all filmmakers and all festival attendees. Deadline dates for reservations apply.
- Discount on submissions for next year's film festival.
* Categories, Awards and Benefits are subject to change at the discretion of DBFF.
Eligible films and original music videos must be:
1. Written, directed, or produced by Black filmmakers and/or Artists; or
2. Prominently feature Black actors or musicians; or
3. Feature subject matter which relates to the Black community and/or Black experience.
Filmmakers and or Artists of all races and ethnicities are welcome to submit when one of the previously mentioned criteria are met.
NOTE: Waivers are only provided on a limited basis for Invitational consideration for films or original music videos meeting special programming needs. Invitational selections are not eligible for competition in the awards program.
• Open to U.S. and international entries. Films and original music videos made in a language other than English must have English subtitles.
• Films and original music videos shown theatrically, sold, or having been distributed on broadcast, cable, satellite VOD or DVD by opening day of the festival are usually not eligible for the competitive awards program. Exceptions may be made at the Festival's discretion.
• Only films and original music videos completed after January 1, 2018 submitted through FilmFreeway with paid submission fees are eligible for the Competitive program and awards.
• Films and original music videos should be completed by the submission date as works in progress are not accepted.
• Competitive films and original music videos must be submitted through FilmFreeway with an online screener with HD-YouTube-or Vimeo, as the preferred methods.
• Selected films and original music videos will be provided at the filmmaker’s expense in the specified exhibition format by the date specified by DBFF.
• College student and Texas High school category films must provide proof of student status at the time of production by sending a copy of a dated student ID or unofficial transcript showing enrollment in good standing to email@example.com. This proof should be provided when the film is submitted for consideration.
• Press kits, photo materials, trailers (via YouTube/Vimeo), teasers, or any other promo materials should be provided through FilmFreeway at the time of submission.
• Film and original music video submissions attest original work with no disputes regarding ownership or copyright. The submitted work does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead and DBFF.
• Submitted films and original music videos may be utilized for promotional purposes of the festival, limited to private screenings, and preview-only copies for press and supporters, unless otherwise arranged with DBFF.
• Submission fees are non-refundable, and once submitted a film or original music video may not be withdrawn without a written request and then at the sole discretion of DBFF.
All submissions and selected entries will be handled with the utmost care. However, DBFF cannot accept responsibility for losses, damages or additional charges incurred during shipping, due to file errors, due to authoring errors, due to normal wear and tear, or due to equipment failure.
DBFF is not responsible for any claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) arising from or in connection with any claim (including those of third parties) involving music clearances, copyright, trademark, credits, publicity of any film submitted to or screened by DBFF.
Submission grants DBFF and its affiliates, permission for accepted films and original music videos (3 minutes maximum) and related marketing and promotional materials to be reproduced and distributed SOLELY for purposes of jurying, education, and promotion of the festival.
All filmmakers and/or artists who submit to DBFF will be added to the festival general email list and DBFF Institute mail list. If you do not wish to be on the mailing list send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to unsubscribe.