THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL®™
- Hollywood's most star-studded festival for independent filmmakers -
New filmmakers screen annually alongside the giants of contemporary cinema, including CELEBRITY GUESTS that include: Pierce Brosnan (James Bond), Sharon Stone (Casino), Hilary Duff (Gossip Girl), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Joe Mantegna (Criminal Minds), Donna Mills (Play Misty For Me), Clark Duke (Hot Tub Time Machine), Laura Prepon (Orange Is The New Black), Grace Zabriskie (Twin Peaks), Timothy Busfield (West Wing), Gary Cole (Pineapple Express), Frances Fisher (Titanic), John Robinson (Lords of Dogtown), Kurt Fuller (Midnight In Paris), Uwe Boll (Postal), Alan Howarth (Halloween), Bruce Davison (X-Men), Richard Kind (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Melissa Gilbert (Little House on The Prairie), John Ennis (Mr. Show), legendary casting director Bonnie Timmerman (Black Hawk Down) and many more, ...appearing at the Hollywood Reel Independent Film Fesitval.
Growing to prominence at Quentin Tarantino's New Beverly Cinema, the Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival has now partnered with the largest and most glamorous venue in Los Angeles: L.A. LIVE / Staples Center / Microsoft Theater for two weeks of screenings and festival events each year.
Dedicated in our mission to recognize the best new filmmakers and discover important cinema from across the globe: HRIFF combines film screenings, parties, and celebrity events at L.A. Live and the iconic cinemas of Hollywood to create our annual festival.
Award of Excellence Honorees including: Alejandro Jodoworsky, Warren Beatty, Gerard Depardieu, Vanessa Redgrave, Peter O'Toole, Robin Williams, Gene Wilder, Tinto Brass, animators Don Hertzfeld & Bill Plympton, have been honored at past Award Ceremonies.
The Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival has also notably hosted some of the last major public appearances for cinema icons including Martin Landau (Ed Wood, Mission Impossible), John Heard (Home Alone, X-Men), Jon Polito (Big Lebowski), and Harry Dean Stanton (Aliens, Repo Man, Lucky, Paris Texas).
Werner Herzog, Ron Howard, Michael Apted, Errol Morris, D.A. Pennebaker, Emily Mortimer, James Franco, James Caan, Fred Roos, Paul Rudd, Guy Pierce, Joe Lo Truglio, Blake Anderson, Mercedes Ruehl, Ian McShane, Edward James Olmos, Sandra Oh, Lisa Kudrow, Jason Alexander, Bryce Dallas Howard, Elliott Gould, Terri Polo, Janeane Garofalo, Zack Braff, Winnie Holzman, Martin Starr, Fred Willard, Pamela Adlon, Tony Hale, Richard Lewis, Doug Jones, David Arquette, Carla Gallo, Bai Ling, C. Thomas Howell, Harry Lennix, Dean Cameron, Takuji Suzuki, Daryl Hannah, Tom Noonan, Jeremy Sisto, and Jonathan Pryce are a few of the notable HRIFF alumni who have participated in our Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival.
ACADEMY AWARD© WINNING DISCOVERIES
Recent Oscar© and Golden Globe© winning, nominated, and shortlist HRIFF premieres include: "Manchester By The Sea", "The Act of Killing", "Anomalisa", "Force Majeure", "The Look of Silence", "Rules Don't Apply", "Trumbo", and "At Eternity's Gate". Other HRIFF premieres to win major film awards include: "Lucky", "Blade of the Immortal", "The Sisters Brothers", "Killing of a Sacred Deer" and more.
Academy Award© Winning Short Films to premiered at HRIFF include: "The Lady In Number 6", the animated "Mr. Hublot", and the films work of Bill Plympton ("Guard Dog").
A sample of HRIFF premieres that went on to receive distribution and acclaim include: "The Act of Killing", "Force Majeure", "Bridegroom", "Anomalisa", "The Look of Silence", "Assault on Wall Street: Bailout", "Day At The Pool", "Henri", "Sex, Violence and Family Values", "Forget Me Not", "Bible Storyland", "The Silent Thief", "Drift", and "The Lady In Number 6".
BREAKTHROUGH TALENT DISCOVERIES
Talent discoveries seen first at HRIFF include: Alanna Masterson (from HRIFF Best Actress 2010 Winner, to a leading role in The Walking Dead from 2013-2019), Alex Meraz (DC's Suicide Squad), Dean West (The Ledge), Toby Hemingway (Black Swan), Tyler Blackburn (Pretty Little Liars), and Keir Gilchrist (star of the Netflix series Atypical), and most recently HRIFF 2018 Award Winner Savannah Kennick, now starring on Netflix's latest episodes of Arrested Development.
CINEMA RETROSPECTIVES & RESTORATIONS
Festival retrospectives for cinema creators and performers include tributes to: Kenneth Lonergan, Haskell Wexler, Michael Mann, John Cassavetes, David Bowie, Alan Rickman, Warren Oates and Dusan Makavejev, as well as HRIFF's restorations of unseen works from Tinto Brass and Hugo Niebeling.
All of this helps to create the only annual Hollywood Film Festival event that cannot be missed!
HRIFF invites you to submit your film to the only Hollywood film festival known for screening the largest selection of up-and-coming filmmakers from around the world and hosting the largest selection of celebrity guests.
Join the historic HRIFF family of filmmakers by submitting your project to us today!
HRIFF Selected Films eligible for HRIFF Awards of Merit.
24 Awards given annually at L.A. LIVE / Staples Center HRIFF Award Ceremony.
Award Winners eligible for potential sponsored prizes - as announced each season.
Screenplay Contest 1st Place awarded $8,000.00
Screenplay Contest entries are eligible for HRIFF Annual Screenplay Awards.
Award of Excellence Honors for lifetime achievements in cinema are given each year at Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival Award Ceremony Gala, held prior to Academy Awards.
FILM SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Must be sent by FilmFreeway Online Screener or via mail.
- Mailed Submission Screeners must adhere to guidelines below.
- All Accepted Submissions will be notified via email.
- All Non-Accepted Submissions will be notified via email.
- Check accounts at notification deadline for information.
- Deadline Dates are postmark deadlines.
- HRIFF is not responsible for postal damages or delays.
- Do Not Send Registered Mail or mail to be signed for (except for 35mm prints).
- Please do not send cash or any payments in the mail.
- Any discs, postcards, thumb drives & posters may not be returned.
- Send submissions in a standard flat rate envelope or smaller to reduce waste.
- Make sure to include all up-to-date passwords/encryption for any locked submissions.
FILMS SELECTED FOR EXHIBITION:
- DCP (CRU) is preferred for exhibition (unique DCP may be required by venues).
- Exhibition Copies: DVD+/DVD- (NTSC, Region 0 or 1) also accepted.
- Blu-Ray (Region 0 or 1) also accepted for Exhibition.
- DVD / BluRay Back-Up highly recommended - even if sending other print formats.
- Back-up Disc should be non-watermarked, with matching chapters and aspect ratio.
- No menu, test footage or pre-film footage for any Exhibition Copies.
- Exhibition Print run time must not be longer than submitted version.
- Once accepted for presentation, a physical Exhibition Copy of submitted film is necessary.
Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival
Mailing address for any and all Submission Prints and for Exhibition Prints (if accepted):
1615 North Wilcox Ave
Hollywood, CA 90078
FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Submitter must be 18 years of age or older to enter competition.
- Adult Guardian or Parent may submit on your behalf of minors.
- By submitting to HRIFF, submitter is:
a) admitting copyright of film and images, and
b) granting permission to use the images and content from the submission in advertisements and promotions both for any screening of the submitted film, but also in any promotions for HRIFF in general for the 36 months following first receipt of the submission.
- Festival times may be subject to delay or change.
- All fees are non-refundable.
- HRIFF is not responsible for broken or non-functioning prints.
- In submitting, HRIFF is given the right to screen submission at no charge to the fest.
- HRIFF reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.
- All films submitted for review are consenting permission to have HRIFF publicly screen the film submitted (at least) one time in 24 months after selection notification.
- Not all submissions received will be selected for live exhibition nor given award honors.
- By submitting via FilmFreeway, you are agreeing to these Rules as well as the HRIFF Terms and Conditions below.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS for HRIFF & HRIFF WEBSITE & HRIFF TICKETING.
If any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck and the remaining provisions shall be enforced. You agree that this Agreement may be automatically assigned by the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL (HRIFF), in its sole discretion, to a third party.
Section headings are for reference purposes only and in no way define, limit, construe or describe the scope or extent of such section. Our failure to act with respect to a breach by you or others does not waive our right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches.
This Agreement, along with any other terms and conditions listed by HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL, sets forth the entire understanding and agreement between us with respect to the subject matter hereof. The provisions of this Agreement and any ancillary terms and conditions will survive termination or expiration to the extent necessary to carry out the intentions of the parties.
You acknowledge and agree that this Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of California, excluding conflict of laws provisions thereof that would indicate the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction and you hereby submit to exclusive jurisdiction in the federal and state courts of California. You agree to receive service of process through certified mail or by other means sanctioned by law, and you expressly waive any claim of improper venue and any claim that such courts are an inconvenient forum.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold The HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL harmless from any claim, expense or demand, including without limitation reasonable attorneys´ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your breach of this Agreement, or your violation of any law or the rights of a third party.
By agreeing Submitter agrees to abide by all the Terms laid forth in the General Festival Rules listed for HRIFF, including GENERAL FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS.
GENERAL FESTIVAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Film must not currently have major distribution in U. S.A. that conflict with exhibition dates at the festival.
- HRIFF only accepts international films that have been subtitled.
- Festival times are subject to delay or change.
- Fees are non-refundable.
- HRIFF reserves the right to refuse service.
- Films submitted for review are consenting permission to have HRIFF publicly screen the film submitted (at least) one time in the next 48 months as to be determined by HRIFF.
- By submitting your film for review submitter is a) admitting copyright of film and images and b) granting permission to use the images and content from the submission in advertisements and promotions both for any screening of the submitted film, but also in any promotions for HRIFF in general for the 36 months following first receipt of the submission.
- By submitting you agree HRIFF has the right to screen your film with no additional exhibition fees or charges to the festival from filmmakers or film copyright owners.
- Festival is not responsible for broken or non-functioning films.
- Submitter must be 18 years of age or older (or have your parent/guardian to submit on your behalf) to enter the competition.
- In case of non-functioning Exhibition Print, festival may use any submitted prints.
- By submitting with payment, you are agreeing to abide by all the above terms, rules, and guidelines, as well as the following:
COPYRIGHT. All content contained on HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL (HRIFF) website, including but not limited to photographs, text, graphics, logos, icons, images and software (collectively, "Content"), is the property of HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL and is protected by U.S. and/or international copyright laws. Risk of Loss. You acknowledge and agree that your only remedy for failures, delays or interruptions with respect to the ordering of and delivery of passes ordered by you is limited to a refund for such passes, issued at the discretion of the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL.
RIGHT TO ENTER. Entrants warrant that they have the legal right to enter film work to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL. As Director/Producer/Submitter of the Film, entrants have submitted and represent and warrant to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL that the Film and all parts thereof are original; that the Film does not contravene the rights of any person or entity and that entrants own or control the Film and all parts thereof and have the sole authority to submit the Film to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL; the Film entrants submitted to the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL is not subject to nor threatened by any litigation. Entrants acknowledge that no fiduciary or confidential relationship now exists between the Festival and entrants, and entrants further acknowledge that no such relationship is established by these guidelines, the submission of the Film, or by the HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL acceptance, review or retention of your submission (film, screenplay, etc.)
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH ATTENDANCE AT ANY EVENT / ENTERING ANY COMPETITION / SUBMITTING ANY WORK FOR REVIEW OR SCREENING, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION FOR LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, OR ANTICIPATED LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL AND ITS AFFILIATES AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE WEBSITE OR THIS AGREEMENT IS LIMITED TO $200.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. SUBMITTER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THEIR ATTENDANCE AND PARTICIPATION AT HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL EVENTS, OR ENTERING INTO ANY HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL EVENT, CONTEST, FESTIVAL OR COMPETITION IS AT THEIR OWN SOLE RISK.
THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND TO YOU, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. SPECIFICALLY, THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, AND FITNESS. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY YOUR RELIANCE ON CONTENT OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR CAUSED BY YOUR CONDUCT. THE HOLLYWOOD REEL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE, AND THE OPERATION OF THE WEBSITE MAY BE INTERFERED WITH BY NUMEROUS FACTORS OUTSIDE OF OUR CONTROL.