Toronto New Wave (TNW) is an independent short film, music & VR festival hosted annually in downtown Toronto. Curated by active filmmakers, the new wave represents the work of budding filmmakers of the highest caliber both locally and internationally.
1) Short films (narrative, documentary, music videos, web series)
2) Live music performances
3) Interactive art (Virtual Reality, etc.)
The evening combines the cinematic experience of watching films on the big screen with live music being performed like at a concert. This cultivates a relationship between the indie communities of film and music and offers a unique, entertaining experience for audiences. Virtual reality exhibitions will also be enjoyed by many.
For our creators:
- Q&A sessions with audiences following screenings
- Valuable prizes & categorized awards (judged by industry panel)
- An exclusive, industry after-party for filmmakers & their friends
Our mission is to celebrate the raw, undiscovered talent of the indie artists that will lead the industry one day. We feature artists from submitted work on our social media outlets, regardless of selection status. Feel free to reach out to us for a special spotlight.
For more information on the event program visit torontonewwave.com
For special screenings & inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: event venue may change
1) Audience Choice: $2,000 to use toward any AstroLab Studios Inc. space and gear rentals as well as $300 in credit from Shuttershare
2) Best Overall Film: $2,500 in grip/lighting rentals from William F. Whites and $2,000 to use toward any AstroLab Studios Inc. space and gear rentals
3) Best Director: $1,000 in rentals from Ontario Camera and a full day in Studio 2 of Astrolab Studios, complete with grip, lighting, and electrical (value approx $1,350)
4) Best Cinematography: $2000 in camera gear rentals from Dazmo Camera PLUS a full day in Studio 2, complete with grip, lighting, and electrical (value approx $1,350) from Astrolab Studios
5) Best Sound Design: 2 full days in the Audio Suite of Astrolab Studios for mixing or ADR (value approx $1,000) (Does not include sound engineer, but bringing in a freelancer at a fair rate is negotiable)
6) Best Editing: 2 full days in the Editing/DaVinci Colour Suite (value approx $1,000) of Astrolab Studios (Does not include an editor or colourist)
7) Best Music Performer: 2 full days in the Audio Suite of Astrolab Studios for mixing, track production or vocal recordings (value approx $1,000) (Does not include sound
engineer, but bringing in a freelancer at a fair rate is negotiable)
8) Best Music Video: A full day in Studio 2 of Astrolab Studios, complete with grip, lighting, and electrical (value approx $1,350) for the winner of the award for the best music video
All entries to be received through FilmFreeway by June 11, 2018.
•Production must be shorter than 20 minutes in length and completed after January 1st, 2017.
•Productions submitted to previous renditions of the festival will not be considered.
•’Canadian’ submissions must earn at least 6 point from the following creative categories, once per category: Director (2 points), Writer (2 points), Producer (1 point), Lead performer (1 point), Production designer (1 point), Director of photography (1 point), Editor (1 point), Music composer (1 point).
•Non-English entries must contain English subtitles.
•Films of all genres will be considered.
•Screening files are to be sent to us in .mp4 and VR films must be able to be screened using the Samsung Gear VR system.
Terms and Conditions
•Once a work has been submitted, it may not be withdrawn.
•Submitter confirms required legal authority for submitting to festival, and use of all images and material used in submission.
•Submitter allows Toronto New Wave the usage of excerpts from submitted entry and related publicity material (images, synopsis, biographies, etc.) for promotional use in all forms (print and digital)
•Toronto New Wave reserves the right to request proof of residence and/or verification for declaration of truth, to qualify as a Greater Toronto Area or Canadian production.
•Submitter shall inform festival team of any changes in contact information.
•Toronto New Wave reserves the right to refuse submissions for screening.
•The entrant individual or corporation hereby warrants that they authorized to submit the film for screening, with understanding and acceptance of listed terms and conditions.
•The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Toronto New Wave from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered. Entries will not be returned.