The Northampton Filmhouse is proud to present the third edition of Q-Film Weekender from Friday 8 to Sunday 10 November 2019, a three-day festival celebrating heroes of queer cinema and showcasing LGBTQIA+ stories from around the world. This year's festival will be bigger and better than ever! The programme will be full of exclusive previews and innovative features and short films created by, for, about, or of interest to the LGBTQIA+ community, alongside complementary events that are open to all.
For the first time, the Filmhouse invites filmmakers to submit qualifying films to be considered for official selection as part of the festival. A panel of experts from the LGBTQIA+ community within Northamptonshire will advise and curate the programme for the big screen, with prizes awarded to winning films. The Q-Film Weekender will provide a platform for new filmmakers and bring groundbreaking films to audiences they may not have had the opportunity to see before.
The Q-Film Weekender's awards and prizes will be announced at a later date.
1. The Q-Film Weekender screening programme is curated and the Programming Team will fully consider all submissions.
2. The Q-Film Weekender accepts films of all lengths and genres, originating from anywhere in the world, with the exception of promotional films.
3. The Q-Film Weekender will consider films created by, for, about, or of interest to the LGBTQIA+ community (gay, lesbian, bisexual, queer, trans*, intersex or asexual people) for inclusion in the Festival.
4. The Q-Film Weekender only accepts submissions of films completed on or after 1 January 2018.
5. All entries must be in the English language or contain English language subtitles. Non-English language entries submitted without subtitles, or supplementary printed translations, will be automatically disqualified.
6. The Q-Film Weekender does not require premiere status for films. Films may have distribution, have screened at other Festivals or be available online, but the Programming Team will give priority to films that have not yet reached large scale audiences in the Midlands.
7. Only completed entries (submission form, preview screener upload, entry fee) that meet the above eligibility criteria will be processed and considered by the Programming Team.
8. Entrants may submit as many films as they wish. Each entry requires a separate submission form, preview screener upload and entry fee.
9. Each submission must be accompanied by the appropriate entry fee. Entry fees are not refundable. Projects submitted with the incorrect entry fee will not be considered for selection. The Q-Film Weekender is a non-profit event, programmed on behalf of the non-profit Northampton Arts Management Trust, and submission fees help with festival costs.
10. The Q-Film Weekender accepts only FilmFreeway and Vimeo Secure Online Screeners for preview purposes.
11. The Q-Film Weekender will consider completed films and films at fine cut stage. Works-in-progress may only be submitted under special circumstances. Please contact the programmers to discuss works-in-progress consideration.
12. The Q-Film Weekender does not accept subsequent cuts or more complete versions of submitted films. Entrants must not change or update the originally submitted screener.
13. Every reasonable effort will be made to protect films from damage or loss, but the Q-Film Weekender and its management cannot assume liability for damage or loss.
COSTS AND FEES
14. The Programming Team will only grant waivers (free entry) to select applicants who have been invited to submit by the Q-Film Weekender.
15. The entrant must pay all costs associated with submitting to the Q-Film Weekender.
16. If selected, the entrant must cover the costs associated with the shipping and postage of the screening copy (inbound print transport) to the Festival. The Q-Film Weekender will not accept Cash On Delivery shipments. The Q-Film Weekender will not absorb any fees incurred in British customs. All charges must be pre-paid. The Q-Film Weekender will cover the costs associated with the return or forwarding of the screening copy (outbound print transport) after the Festival.
17. If a film is selected, the Q-Film Weekender does not pay any screening fees for its participation or inclusion in the Festival. Filmmakers are not entitled to claim rental or other fees for the screenings of their films at the Q-Film Weekender.
18. The Q-Film Weekender will contact successful entrants by email if their film is selected for screening. The Programming Team will notify entrants by 1 October 2019 at the latest, barring unforeseen circumstances.
19. Following selection, the Q-Film Weekender will provide all successful entrants with a Screening Agreement and delivery schedule.
20. The Q-Film Weekender is unable to offer feedback regarding films that are not selected. Please don’t be discouraged if your film is not accepted to the Festival. There are often many influencing factors on why a film may not be accepted or suitable for the Festival.
21. All entries are viewed and chosen by the Programming Team. Final selections are at the sole discretion of the Q-Film Weekender.
22. All selected films will be made available for public viewing. The Q-Film Weekender will assign all timing, date and venue details. The Q-Film Weekender reserves the right to make changes to the public viewing schedule at any time for any reason. The Q-Film Weekender will not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change to the schedule.
23. The Q-Film Weekender reserves the right to place films into relevant programme strands.
24. If selected, the entrant grants the Q-Film Weekender the right to use publicity materials related to the film (e.g. press kits, posters, stills, etc.) for promotional purposes and to broadcast or screen clips of a maximum of 3 minutes to promote the screening.
25. If selected, the Q-Film Weekender’s screening format is DCP. If a DCP is not available, the Festival can create a DCP for screening purposes from a ProRes or similar digital file.
26. All successful films sent to the Q-Film Weekender on DCP must be clearly labelled with the film title and aspect ratio. If the film is not in the English language, the DCP must contain English-language subtitles.
27. All successful films sent to the Q-Film Weekender as ProRes or similar digital files must be clearly labelled with the film title and aspect ratio. If the film is not in the English language, the ProRes or digital file must contain English-language subtitles.
28. If selected, the entrant must provide the Q-Film Weekender with a secure online screener of the complete project which the festival can make available to members of the press and jury (if applicable).
29. The Q-Film Weekender may also use successful entries for private press screenings prior to the Festival. In this case, the Festival would contact the entrant in advance.
30. The Q-Film Weekender will insure all prints for the period that they are in the Festival’s possession. In the case of loss or damage during this period, the Festival is only responsible for the replacement value of the print. Only prints in perfect condition for projection will be accepted under these conditions.
31. All films selected for the Q-Film Weekender are eligible for awards. The Programming Team will determine the shortlisted films.
RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
32. Entry for consideration to the Q-Film Weekender implies the entrant completing the submission process is legally entitled to submit the film for consideration and is an authorised representative of the team that holds the intellectual property of the film. This includes permission from a distributor or sales agent representing the film.
33. Entry to the Q-Film Weekender also implies the entrant has obtained the necessary permissions for the inclusion of any copyrighted music and/or images used within the film.
34. By entering a film to the Q-Film Weekender the entrant accepts these Terms and Conditions and will abide by them in their dealings with the Festival.