YoFiFest is Your Film Festival! Now in its 10th year, the 2022 YoFiFest Film Festival returns this December to celebrate moving pictures, the people who make them and the people who watch them. Voted by filmmakers as a Top 100 Best Reviewed Festivals on FilmFreeway (NINE TIMES!), YoFiFest was created for filmmakers by filmmakers. Movie Maker Magazine says “what stood out at YoFiFest was the organizers’ obvious respect for the people who craft cinema and video.”
From opening night’s Red Carpet Reception, through our Audience Choice Awards Ceremony on the closing night, YoFiFest is a welcoming and inclusive festival that celebrates filmmakers at every stage of their careers. Our schedule is jam packed with screenings, workshops, panels, networking opportunities and parties that honor and celebrate the independent, artistic spirit from around the world, and right in our own backyard. And it’s run by film, television and audio/visual professionals, ensuring all films receive high quality presentation in actual theaters.
YoFiFest takes the selection process very seriously and is careful to ensure that each movie is reviewed by the screenings committee and programmer, in its entirety, at least three times. We are filmmakers ourselves, and we understand and respect the amount of hard work put into each film. 100% of the films played at our YoFiFest 2021 festival were films selected from FilmFreeway submissions. Out of fairness to all filmmakers who submit to the festival, we don't offer any fee waivers.
We’re grateful we were able to present a LIVE festival in November 2021. We knew our filmmakers were craving the in person experience, so we decided to take every precaution to create a safe, fun festival for everyone. For those who could not or chose not to attend in person, we offered virtual “simulscreens” that allowed those joining remotely to watch the film and join the talkback in real time. All filmmakers were invited to join the talkback in person or remotely.
This year, we plan to be back in downtown Yonkers for our 10th Anniversary as an in-person film festival, with screenings, talkbacks, workshops, photo-ops, networking events, receptions and after-parties. Filmmakers raved about our online social events, so we’ll be bringing back our virtual Meet the Filmmaker Nights, Online (and in Person) Trailer Party, Speed Networking Events, Remote Mix&Mingles and more.
We’ll also continue to host all of our films and workshops as online “simul-screens” so filmmakers and film fans can engage remotely as well. Those joining us remotely will be invited to screen films, attend talkbacks and access all of our workshops, panels and lectures online. Filmmakers who attend in person will receive an All Access VIP pass that allows entry into every screening, workshop, panel, party, networking and social event.
First 10 Pages Screenwriting Contest
Ten Years! Ten Pages! We're celebrating our ten year anniversary by expanding our platform to include screenplays!
Why The First 10 Pages? The first 10 pages are crucial to launching the story, introducing the main character and hooking the audience. They are the foundation that the rest of the script is built on, so they have to be something special. They need to be bold, effective and compelling. Writing them is a daunting task, but we want to recognize you for it!
You can enter your First 10 Pages as either a Feature Film Screenplay or a Web/TV Pilot Script. Awards will be given in each category. In the first round, your First 10 Pages receive coverage by multiple readers and script analysts. The team scores the scripts based on ten professional screenwriting criteria and standards. The readers assign scores of 1 to 10 for each of the following elements: Premise/Concept, Presentation, Structure, Plot, Pacing, Characters,Dialog, Theme, Style/Tone, Commercial Potential. Once the scores are calculated, we announce the Semifinalists and Finalists who will receive laurels, a score sheet, announcement on social media and will be listed on our website. Finalists are moved on to the next round and receive a Full Festival Pass to YoFiFest 2022 where they can mingle and network with filmmakers and professionals.
The Finalists are then judged by our Senior Judging Team of Industry Professionals, who evaluate and score them. The Feature Film First 10 Pages and Web/TV Pilot First 10 Pages with the highest total points will be awarded a Winner recognition certificate presented at our Closing Night Awards Ceremony which will be simulcast live on social media.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to seeing your work!
Awards & Prizes
JURIED AWARDS FILMS:
For our 10th Anniversary, we have more prizes than ever before!
All selected films are eligible to be nomintated by our jury to receive Best of the Fest Awards in the following categories:
Best Short Narrative Film
Best Short Documentary Film
Best Local Short Film
Best Narrative Feature
Best Documentary Feature
Best of the Fest recipients will be chosen by a select panel of Judges, all of whom are filmmakers or industry professionals.
Prizes will be announced shortly. Please follow us on social media @yofifest or visit YoFiFest.com for the most up to date info.
AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARDS FILMS:
All selected films are eligible. One film from each award category will be the Audience Choice Awards Recipient and one film from each award category will be an Audience Choice Awards Honorable Mention.
Every audience member can vote, whether in person or online.
FIRST 10 PAGES SCREENWRITING COMPETITION
Semifinalists Will Receive:
Official Selection Laurel
Official Selection Listing on YoFi Website with Social Media Announcement
Finalists Will Receive:
Official Selection Laurel
Official Selection Listing on YoFi Website with Social Media Blitz
10 Point Score Card Rating
Social Media Promotion on YoFiFest.com
Complimentary VIP Full Festival Pass to YoFiFest 2022
Two Winners (one in each category) Will Receive:
Two Pages of Professional Feedback
VIP Free Full Access Pass
Winner Certificate at Staged Awards Ceremony
Table Read of Your First 10 Pages (Live and Video-taped)
All awards will be presentd at our Closing Night Awards Ceremony which will be simulcast live on social media.
RULES & TERMS
Like we said, we love filmmakers and want everyone to have a great time! However, we do need a few rules to help us best organize and utilize our dedicated and awesome YoFiFest team.
These regulations apply to all sections and submissions:
• YoFi Fest is open to anyone who wishes to enter.
• Please submit as early as possible. Just makes things easier all around.
• YoFi Fest is an eco-friendly festival, so to reduce waste and environmental impact films must be submitted digitally.
• All films must be in English or with English subtitles.
• In our experience, Vimeo screeners have the best HD playback, and are preferred over FilmFreeway’s video uploads by our screening team.
• YoFiFest is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit and therefore we are unable to offer fee waivers under any circumstance. Entry fees support the various event costs (venues, supplies, events, promotional material, online platform etc.) Thank you for your understanding.
• YoFiFest does not consider films that require SCREENING/RENTAL FEES and DOES NOT PAY SCREENING or LICENSING FEES for submitted films.
• By submitting your film, you acknowledge that the festival will not pay you to present your work.
• Filmmakers accepted and attending the Festival are responsible for travel and all other expenses. Under normal circumstances, there are a limited number of complimentary rooms available at our hosts private homes for our international and out of town guests and local airbnb and hotel discounts available with prior arrangement. This year being a pandemic, those rooms may not be available.
• If accepted, filmmakers are expected to assist the Festival in the promotion of their screening..
• All films submitted must be free from any legal disputes and it is the sole responsibility of the filmmaker to have cleared all rights and releases for exhibition (including music, audio, images, graphics, trademarked images, etc.)
• Only the submitted version of the film may be considered, and swapping it out for alternate cuts is not possible, so please keep this in mind when deciding when to submit.
• If your film is selected, then you will be asked to provide digital stills from the film, press materials, promo clips and video trailer (if available). Please make sure all assets are current and uploaded to your FilmFreeway account if possible.
• Once accepted, all student films must provide a copy of the entrants current student ID or student ID from the year the film was made.
• By submitting your film, you grant YoFiFest the nonexclusive right to use footage, stills and/or titles and information from the film, as well as your name, photograph, and likeness in connection with any and all publicity and promotional activities regarding YoFi Fest prior to, during, and/or after the festival.
• YoFiFest may use images, sounds and excerpts from the films for promotional purposes in all media including the website and may present accepted films at any 2018 YoFiFest event.
• Please note that materials, drives, discs, etc. cannot be returned under any circumstances. Please DO NOT send film prints, master tapes, primary hard drives, DVD Masters or other irreplaceable original media.
• YoFiFest is not responsible for any materials that are lost or damaged.
• The entrant shall release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless YoFiFest, and its agents, respective officers, directors, employees, representatives, contractors, partners, sponsors, and volunteers from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, costs and expenses (including, without limitations, attorneys' fees).
• The entrant warrants that he/she is the sole and exclusive owner(s) of all legal right and title thereto have absolute authority to submit the enclosed material to YoFiFest.
• By entering, the applicant agrees that all information is true and correct and agrees to all festival rules and guidelines.
• While we are hopeful and optimistic we will be able to present a live component of YoFiFest 2022, we will continue to follow all NY State guidelines, rules and laws to make this a fabulous and safe festival for all. To this end, all plans are subject to change as new information evolves.