One of the most exciting and diverse festivals to emerge in the UK, SHORT FOCUS is an annual short film festival that takes place on the third weekend of September in selected cities. This year the event takes place in London on 18-20 September.
As part of the FRAME LIGHT Group, Short Focus Film Festival is dedicated to popularising the medium of short film, with particular focus on supporting independent filmmakers from around the world. It is our aim to provide these filmmakers with multiple platforms from which they can showcase their talents, share ideas and launch their careers. We provide opportunities for their work to be seen in unique and prestigious locations, as well as on our online short film channel, and reviewed in our written and audio publications.
It is our mission to discover, introduce and celebrate short films not widely seen publicly and that we believe deserve recognition for the skill, dedication and passion demonstrated in these productions. We hope that by screening and critiquing short films we can help to broaden discussion relating to the form's governing principles into cultural and casual arenas.
FRAME LIGHT is special in that we care about the filmmaker and the spectator alike, and therefore open Short Focus Film Festival to hardened cinephiles and uninitiated audiences alike. All filmmakers are welcome to submit their short films for festival exhibition and review subject to guidelines and fees, which are detailed fully on this page.
Due to a noticeable shortage in submissions and in light of the pandemic, we have decided to limit Short Focus 2020 to two dates in London and not host an extra date in a second city. We would like to assure all filmmakers that we fully intend to run the film festival as far as circumstances allow.
• Golden Frame + £XXX [First prize]
• Silver Frame [Second Prize]
• Bronze Frame [Third Prize]
• Special Jury Prize [Special Merit]
• Audience Award [One Award Per Programme]
• Official Selection
*** PLEASE READ CAREFULLY ***
• We accepts films/animations in any genre;
• Entrants may submit more than one film, but each film must be submitted separately.
• Entrants under 16 should request their submission fee to be paid for by a parent/guardian;
• The submitter must be either the director or producer of the work (or have the permission of the director/producer);
• The film must be under 25 minutes in length;
• The film must have been produced no earlier than 2018;
• All languages are accepted. Non-English language films must have HARD-CODED English subtitles;
• All films chosen for screening are be hand-selected by our curators, who will notify applicants as to whether or not their work has been successfully shortlisted;
• Your film will only be reviewed if you have paid the 'Submission + Review' fee. Films entered using a fee waiver are not eligible for film reviews;
• The review of your film will be published only after the submission deadline and once the selection has been announced;
• If production stills are not already included in your FilmFreeway profile, we may use our own stills to use for our articles;
• Once submitted, the payment for your film is non-refundable;
• We only accept films via FilmFreeway. Any links to your work sent to us via email will not be considered;
• Fee waivers will only be considered in the most extreme cases and is under the sole discretion of festival organisers;
• All accepted entrants are welcome to attend the screening. However, if you choose to attend, any travel, flights and accommodation will need to be arranged and paid for by the entrant;
• Payment for submission(s) is not a guarantee of your film being selected for screening.