VOID IAFF is Denmark´s most audacious animation film festival which takes place annually in the beautiful capital city of Copenhagen and from 2021, also online.
The purpose of VOID IAFF is to celebrate animation in all its forms by creating and promoting a space where storytellers connect with a broader audience.
Every year in February, VOID IAFF arranges feature film screenings and retrospectives, curates short film programs, invites international guest speakers for talks and seminars… and hosts three competitions!
The name “VOID” recalls the blank canvas, the empty space, from which directors, animators, and artists create entire worlds of pure imagination.
The name also refers to a gap in the programming of Danish cinemas. Aside from big-budget, commercial hits, animated films very rarely get a shot at the big screen, and not for lack of quality. VOID IAFF was established to change that. Starting from screening for adults only, VOID IAFF has now broadened its scope so to create a future that cherishes animation as the powerful storytelling tool it is in telling stories that are diverse, experimental, compelling, and that matter.
VOID IAFF is part of a growing community of animation lovers, producers, and professionals worldwide. Take part in VOID IAFF and dive into international top-class animation which also dares to be different. We aim to push it, crush it and inspire the next generation of animated filmmakers to be not only tech-savvy and into their craft, but also daring, exploring and personal.
For each edition, we curate experiences that feature animation outside the screening rooms, so if you want us to take your virtual reality, visuals, computer game, or installation into consideration, we are open. If you are not able to submit it via FilmFreeway, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shake the conscience, awake the soul, spark reflection, tickle curiosity, interrogate the status quo, trigger conversations.
Welcome to VOID IAFF!
Graduation Film Award
Lejf Marcussen Award
- VOID IAFF accepts all forms of animation - including works of fiction, music videos, commissioned and documentary works with a special eye to animation of young adults/adults. Projects that feature both animation and live action or other elements are eligible for consideration, as long as the animation carries a substantial weight in either story or style.
- The festival organizers reserve the right to dismiss any film that fall outside the umbrella of animation. This decision is final and at the discretion of the festival.
- The same short can be submitted to more than one category. The categories are:
*Animated Short Film
*Fresh Content/Alternative Platform
- Student films/project which are NOT graduation films can submit to the Animated Short Film category.
- Films/projects must have been completed after January 1st 2019.
- Films/projects must be available for screening in a cinema quality copy no later than October 1st 2020.
- Submission of a film implies that the submitter is the holder of the screening rights for the film (also online), and that no rights for all or parts of the film are in dispute.
- Submission also implies that the submitter will be willing to screen the film a maximum of three times during the festival and online.
- In case the film is selected, VOID IAFF will ask you to provide it in DCP format jointly with a back-up copy in MP4 or ProRes.
- Film must be submitted in English and/or with English subtitles already burned in.
- Early entry is encouraged to avoid paying late submission fees. Any submission fees are non-refundable.
- Films must be Copenhagen premieres. Danish premieres are preferred.
Please highlight if the film is a Danish premiere in the submission form and email us at email@example.com.