The Pendance Film Festival is a 4-day showcase of up to 50 short and feature length films from North America and around the world. Our entire panel of programmers is comprised of film industry professionals, and we curate only the very best of world cinema.
STORY. OVER. EVERYTHING. That's our slogan, and we're sticking with it.
5 Reasons to Submit to Pendance:
1. THE SELECTION
At Pendance, we select only the best. Our team of programmers are all film professionals, and if there's one thing we get, it's movies. Audiences rave that the selection standards we hold our films to are rarely seen outside of top 10 festivals. By keeping that quality standard consistently (and absurdly) high, we hope that a 'Pendance Official Selection' becomes a stamp of approval for any filmmaker looking to jumpstart their festival run.
Our team watches each submission at least twice. We select the best films. Period. No politics. No preferential treatment to local filmmakers or trending issues. If we feel the film resonates with an audience, we'll program it. We respect our audiences. That's why they show up. Speaking of which...
2. THE AUDIENCE
As filmmakers, we've travelled across the country for a film only to screen in front of twelve people. It happened at bigger and smaller festivals. When we started Pendance, our goal was to never let it happen to any Pendance filmmaker. In our very first year, Pendance screened on the busiest night of the year during a snow storm to a packed theatre of over 400 film lovers. We can't even take all of the credit here. Great films aren't a tough sell.
3. THE EXTRA MILE
We're not just programmers and festival organizers. Our team also features professional designers and film editors with backgrounds in promotion and advertising. These skills allow us to help filmmakers reach wider audiences.
Last year, this meant designing custom trailers and posters for films which lacked these items, building press kits, and raising awareness about the films with local critics with the goal of raising the exposure each film would garner both before and after the screening. We strive to actively promote all of our official selections and filmmakers through our rapidly growing social media channels.
New this year, Pendance will introduce four filmmaker workshops with the goal of adding a small teaching component to our festival. The workshops will be led by industry leaders. 2019's workshops include; directing actors, scriptwriting for the big screen, securing distribution, and a masterclass in low-budget horror.
5. THE VENUE
The Regent is one of the oldest theatres in North America, and retains a special sort of charm which is seldom found in modern multiplexes. It's an enormous and immaculately well-maintained venue with a 530-person seating capacity, a 40 foot screen, and one of the best sound systems in the city. So you can rest assured that the film you poured years of your life into is going to get the gold-standard exhibition it deserves.
Toronto is one of the most diverse, and rapidly growing cities in the world. Already home to the Toronto International Film Festival each fall, we hope Pendance gives the film industry a reason to make a second trip north of the border each year.
Best Picture- A Prize awarded to the best feature film
Jury Prize: Best Short Film- Awarded to the best short film (under 45 minutes)
Audience Award: Best Film- Voted for by the audience in attendance
Best Director- Awarded to the best Director (short or feature).
RULES & SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES
1) Only films completed after January 1st, 2017 are eligible for the festival.
2) Pendance Film Festival only accepts films that are Toronto premieres. World premieres and Canadian premieres are given priority. For feature films, a Canadian premiere is a minimum requirement.
3) STUDENT FEES are only for current film school students or filmmakers who made films while enrolled in film school. In order to qualify for a student fee, please be sure to upload a clear copy of a student ID on the attachments section of your filmmaker profile.
4) Please do not change the screener link address or password of your submission. If you do, please notify us immediately or you risk your film not being previewed and thus considered for the festival.
5) Films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English. We prefer subtitles be burned into the submission copy.
6) In the event that your film is selected to play at Pendance, we will request one of the following formats; DCP for features, or a High Quality ProRes screener for shorts.
7. FEE WAIVERS; Pendance Film Festival will outright waive submission fees for any short or feature film that has screened at the following festivals; Sundance, Tribeca, Raindance, Austin, Berlin, Cannes, Venice or Slamdance. If your film has screneed at one of these festivals, please email us and submit under "Special Category" after receiving your waiver code.
8. Each submission will be watched at a minimum once, and all selected filmmakers will be notified of their inclusion in the festival no later than January 5th, 2019.
9. All submission fees are non-refundable. If your film does not fit our submission guidelines, it will be disqualified.
10. Press Kits are requested, but not required. Trailers are however required. If your film is selected, and a trailer is not available, Pendance will on your behalf create a clip no longer than 60 seconds for promotional purposes only.
11. Films must not be available online or be publicly available in the United States or Canada. If your film is available publicly and you still wish to submit for our special screenings, please email us. Do not submit your film, as it will be disqualified.
Filmmakers are encouraged to attend the festival. If you’re selected and intend to attend the event, please get in touch with us as soon as possible so we can arrange for complimentary passes and gala tickets. Each selected filmmaker is entitled 2 free passes, and 50% off for up to a maximum of 10 screening passes.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, THE APPLICANT HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished and will judge each submission as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is entered, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. That said, because Pendance's focus is primarily on story and writing, minor technical changes will not affect the final decision of any film. Should the film be accepted to play during Pendance, the filmmaker will have the opportunity to supply the festival with their most recent version.
*GENRE RESTRICTIONS: While we’re open to all genres, if your film features excessive violence, gore, nudity or sexuality, please email to the festival before submitting to confirm it is eligible.