With a lower volume of entries this year as opposed to our first year we have decided that due the niche nature of the film festival we would change the way in which we operate. To that end we are now going to run the festival every 2 years. The date of the next Festival therefore will be 16th- 18th November 2018.
Those films that have already entered will still be eligible for next years’ festival at no extra cost.
We are sorry about the change, however in order to do justice to the subject matter and the great films we feel this is the best for all concerned.
Thank you for understanding.
Veteran Film Festival Team
The annual UK International Veterans’ Film Festival is dedicated to raising awareness about our serving and ex serving Armed Forces community, their families, the unique set of difficulties they face and the impact war has on our society.
Arguably, Film is still the most powerful medium to create stories and put ideas out into the world. Now, more than ever before, it is possible for creativity to emerge and be shared through digital media.
Our aim is to bring to life veterans’ stories whilst showcasing talent through compelling, moving, sometimes disturbing and funny stories. We want to facilitate a greater opportunity to understand the lives of our veterans and their families, their struggles and successes.
We want to share their stories that are harrowing, disturbing or inspiring; stories that show us a side of the human condition that so many of us will never see or experience – all through the medium of film.
Whilst inviting our community to think about how film provokes them and how relevant a film’s message is to them.
Best in Festival
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
Best Documentary Film
Best International Film
Best Male Actor
Best Female Actor
Audience Choice Award
Terms and Conditions
1. All filmmakers submitting a film to the UK Veterans Film Festival (hereafter known as ‘Festival’, ‘We’, ‘Us’ and ‘Our’), accept and agree to comply with the following Terms and Conditions. The Festival is open to filmmakers, including serving and ex-serving members of the armed forces of all ages, abilities from across the globe – from first-timers to veteran directors and producers.
2. Films should be fiction or documentary they must be about Veterans’ and illustrate their experiences of military service or conflict, leaving and/or facing life after service, living with physical or mental health problems, their experience of support services and their met/unmet needs. In short all films entered should feature serving or non-serving (Veterans)members of the armed forces community including their immediate family.
3. The Festival only accepts online registrations and submissions to be assessed. We accept films in any language. However, films not made in English must have English subtitles.
4. The person submitting a film to the Festival is ‘You’ or ‘Your’ and You agree that Your film may be screened at The UK Veterans Film Festival if selected.
5. All submission fees are non refundable.
6. Student and Young Filmmaker category entrants must be registered in a recognised university, college, or school with proof of ID from the institution to qualify for the relevant fees.
Student entrants must supply the following:
a. Your Student ID
b. Name of school, college or university
c. Name of Your Course
d. Lecturer or teacher
e. Email of lecturer or teacher
7. How to Submit
Complete and submit Your online submission form. Pay all relevant Submission fees via PayPal. You will then receive confirmation of Your registration. Films can only be submitted via online screener on FilmFreeway.
Applicant must supply:
– Production credits and contact details
– 5 Photos for promotional purposes, (1024 x 576 pixels’ min)
– Media pack for promotional use by the Festival
– Film Poster (Optional)
– A short trailer of the film (Optional)
8. All films will be accepted and assessed with the view to screening them at the Festival weekend. All films included in the Official Selection will be screened at out chosen venue.
9. Cinema screenings are scheduled during the Festival at the discretion of the Festival Directors. We undertake to make every effort to adhere to the published schedule program, however, the Festival reserves the right to alter this schedule and/or venue at any time for any reason. The Festival does not accept any liability for any costs claimed to arise as a result of a change in the scheduling.
10. Awards will be presented during the Gala Dinner, at the discretion of the organisers and the Jury Panel. All awards will be listed on the Veteran Films website. If you cannot attend the dinner to collect Your award, then it will be mailed to you at Your expense (invoice).
11. Optional for filmmakers submitting to the Festival – After the Festival has finished, the winning films (‘Collection’) may be chosen by the festival organisers for additional screenings or touring events or programs. Filmmakers have the option to give their consent to have their film included in that Collection or not.
12. Optional for filmmakers submitting to the Festival - All finalists will have the chance to opt in or out of a compilation DVD of those films for sale via our website.
13. Any Revenues from either of these options will be split by the Festival and Filmmaker with a 40/60 split in favour of the Filmmaker after the Festivals expenses, accounts for this income will be also made available to the Filmmaker,
14. By submitting a film, You grant us the right to screen Your film, copy and/or reproduce, modify, adapt and any part thereof, up to one (1) minute of the film submission. We may also use Your submission and any other promotional material/photo’s and/or information submitted by You to communicate it to the public in all media, including via our website and publicity materials, or to advertise and promote the Festival, events, its products and services, or all, and to showcase Your film.
15. You own the copyright to Your film as its author and represent and warrant that You have (and will continue to have during the duration of the Festival and thereafter) all necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions we need to use Your film and You will provide evidence of such on our reasonable request.
16. We accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by any person as a result of submitting a film to the Festival and its curation by Veteran Films and all related events. We take no responsibility for the information supplied by filmmakers to the Festival.
17. You indemnify and hold harmless Veteran Films and the UK Veterans Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening materials entered.
For further information, contact Veteran Films: