The Film Poetry Competition is inviting submissions of film-poems. The film should contain all or part of a poem. The poem can be pre-existant, or created as part of the filmmaking process. The emphasis should be on a convincing poetic experience rather than simply technical excellence. We encourage poet-made films, or where the filmmaker has worked closely with the poet.
Film-poetry harmonises words, images and sound to create a new poetry experience … it’s more than spoken words, visual images and sound being in the same room together, it’s their ability to talk to one another that creates the magic in poetry film.
The Film Poetry Competition is in partnership with Poetry Film Live and Swindon Poetry Festival.
Prizes will be awarded at Swindon Poetry Festival on 4th October, at a live screening of all shortlisted and winning films.
The following prizes will be awarded: £400 for the overall winner. Recognition will also be given in the following categories: Single author made film, Animation, Best Newcomer.
Rules of Entry
1. Eligible for submission are poetry films with a maximum length of 8 minutes that were completed after 1st of January 2016. All films submitted must be visual realisations of one or more poems. Film should be formatted as mp4, .mov or .wmv files, with a resolution of at least 720p or 1080p.
2. All films that are not in English must have English subtitles.
3. The closing date for entries is the 12th July 2019.
4. How to Enter - through FilmFreeway. Alternatively at www.poetryfilmlive.com
5. Email entries must be accompanied by a link to your film on Vimeo or YouTube (including the password if necessary).
6. Ten films will be shortlisted by the judges.
7. The following prizes will be awarded: £400 for the overall winner. Recognition will also be given in the following categories: Author made film, Animation, First time poet made
8. The decision of the judges is final.
9. Shortlisted entries will be announced in early September and winners will be announced at Swindon Poetry Festival on October 4th 2019.
10. All shortlisted and winning films will be screened at Swindon Poetry Festival. Shortlisted and winning films may be shown at other non-commercial screenings and online.
11. Entry fee is £12 for 3 films.
12. Payment must be made through FilmFreeway.
13. By submitting your film, you confirm that the film may be shown at the Festival. After submission, the film may no longer be withdrawn and fees will not be refunded. The sender is required to obtain permission from any third parties involved in the production to agree to the film being screened at the festival. The author asserts, under his/her own liability, the complete right of use on used materials (images, words, sounds, music) that compose the artwork; the author undertakes complete liability for any breach of copyright laws.
15. Submitting to the Film Poetry Competition signifies your acceptance of these rules of entry.