IMPORTANT: given the pandemic related to COVID-19, the festival will be hosted online on June 10th and June 11th.
BSFF celebrates undergraduate filmmakers from Boston and New England. It's a platform perfect for first-time filmmakers and a great opportunity to meet like-minded creatives from the region—at no cost to submit.
Come tell your story! Last year, we showcased twenty-nine student films from twelve colleges and universities. This year we’re looking to host even more. All types of films are welcome including drama, documentary, experimental, animation, music, etc. with respective runtimes under fifteen minutes.
View last year's official selection here: bit.ly/38pWMh3
Each director in the official selection will be given a ticket for themselves and two tickets for others to attend the event for free.
Each Director in the official selection is awarded a digital laurel to use however they please. Feature them on your Vimeo and YouTube profiles, film thumbnails, movie posters, personal websites, social media, etc.
Audience members vote on their two favorite films for the following categories: best film, writing, editing, ensemble cast, cinematography, and animation. At the end of the event the top three films in each category are recognized.
Your film will be archived on our website on the Official Selection page.
To qualify for the festival, your submission must meet the requirements below. Exceptions can be made, please email—firstname.lastname@example.org—if you have any questions.
• One submission per director.
• The director is currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university in New England.
• Your film must have been completed while enrolled as an undergraduate.
Your film is no longer than 15 minutes in length, including end credits. End credits are not required.
• You provide a content warning including—but not limited to—any instances of profanity, nudity, violence, etc. These instances will not hinder your chances of qualifying.
• Your submission is your original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the film.
• No revision will be accepted once your film has been submitted.
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of films can I submit?
• All types! We accept films ranging from drama, documentary, experimental, animation, music, etc. with respective runtimes under fifteen minutes.
Can I submit a film I made for class?
Can I submit more than one film?
• Only one submission per director.
I recently graduated and finished a film during my last semester. Although I’m not currently enrolled can I still submit my film?
• Yes, if you completed your film Spring Semester 2019 or Fall Semester 2019.
If my film is selected, do I get any tickets or passes?
• Each director in the official selection will be given a ticket for themselves and two tickets for others to attend the event for free.
If my film is selected, does the festival own the rights to my work?
• Absolutely not. We hold no claim toward any of your intellectual property.
Who can I contact if I have a question?
• You can reach out to us via email at email@example.com.