BSFF is closed for the upcoming seasons. Thank you to all the students and sponsors for making the first three years possible, and hope to see you soon.
Where creators collide! The Boston Student Film Festival is an annual, student-run festival celebrating New England's undergrad filmmakers. We believe in showcasing and connecting next-gen creatives, and building a creative community that extends across campuses.
BSFF is perfect for first-time and experienced filmmakers, and a great opportunity to meet like-minded creatives from the region. The first step is getting filmmakers (that’s you!) to submit their latest and greatest work. All types of films are welcome including drama, documentary, experimental, animation, music, etc. with respective runtimes under fifteen minutes.
Each Director in the official selection is awarded a digital laurel to use however they please. Feature it on your Vimeo and YouTube profiles, film thumbnails, movie posters, personal websites, social media, etc. Or just print the laurel and hang it above your bed—we won’t judge.
Your film will be archived on our website on the Official Selection page.
On the night of the festival, a link to online voting will be available to all attendees. Each guest (and filmmakers) can select their top two picks for following categories: Best Picture, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Writing, Best Ensemble Cast, and Best Animation. Winners and runners-up from each category will be recognized on our social media platforms and website after the festival. Additional prizes will be announced closer to the festival date.
While laurels are pretty neat, an additional reward you’ll get from being part of the BSFF Official Selection is admission into our Facebook Alumni Group. You’ll be able to connect with filmmakers from past festivals, share tips and tricks, and maybe even collaborate on future films (if so, make sure to mention us in your Oscar acceptance speech).
To qualify for the festival, your submission must meet the requirements. Exceptions can be made, so please email—bostonstudentfilm.org—if you have any questions.
• One submission per director. All genres are welcome (e.g. drama, experimental, documentary, music, animation, etc.)
• The director is currently enrolled as an undergrad at a college or university in New England. The director is still eligible if they graduated spring or fall semester 2020.
• Your film must have been completed while the director was enrolled as an undergraduate.
• Your film is no longer than 15 minutes in length, including end credits. End credits are not required.
• You provide a content warning including—but not limited to—any instances of profanity, nudity, violence, etc. These instances will not hinder your chances of qualifying.
• Your submission is your original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the film.
• No revision will be accepted once your film has been submitted.
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of films can I submit?
• All types! We accept films ranging from drama, documentary, experimental, animation, music, etc. with respective runtimes under 15 minutes.
Can I submit a film I made for class?
Can I submit more than one film?
• Only one submission per director.
I recently graduated and finished a film during my last semester. Although I’m not currently enrolled can I still submit my film?
• Yes, if you graduated fall or spring semester 2020.
If my film is selected, do I get any tickets or passes?
• The festival is online and free to attend to anyone!
If my film is selected, does the festival own the rights to my work?
• Absolutely not. We hold no claim toward any of your intellectual property.
Who can I contact if I have a question?
• You can reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.