Lavuth’ iBhayi (“The Bay is On Fire”) Film Festival is a celebration of South Africa’s multi-cultural and dynamic emerging filmmaking talent. The first edition of the biannual festival was held on the 30th of May 2019, with five short films produced by emerging filmmakers screened to an audience of over 300 paying members of the public - many of whom had never set foot in a movie cinema before!
Based in beautiful Nelson Mandela Bay, South Africa, the festival provides a platform for emerging filmmakers from around the country to showcase their short film masterpieces on a cinema screen for a panel of local and international judges and a chance to attend a variety of industry workshops and panel discussions.
Lavuth' iBhayi Film Festival is an initiative by Media Makers NPC to develop a cinema-loving culture in South Africa and to unearth new filmmaking talent from across the nation.
Now release your inner Spielberg and make some movie magic! We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
R10 000 cash prize
Fujifilm X-A5 Mirrorless Camera
Best Costume Make up and Styling
Essence Makeup Hamper
Many More Prizes
By submitting a film, the submitter agrees that:
1. Films must be made specifically for Lavuth' iBhayi Film Festival and at least one of the creative leaders: Director, Writer or Producer is a South African Citizen
2. Films must contain the 2019 Lavuth' iBhayi key prop: candle and unique line of dialogue: "Where do we/I go from here?"
3. The films must include English subtitles (if the spoken language is not English).
4. Lavuth' iBhayi can use trailer/teaser/film poster/stills or BTS for promotional
5. Students and scholars will be required to provide proof of enrolment at an institution upon request.
3. Entries will be assessed and successful submissions will be programmed for screening and entered into the Festival competition. The selection committee's decisions are final.
4. If your film is selected we reserve the right to show your film at a time and date of our choosing.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE
If your film is chosen for shortlisting or as a finalist we will also need the following materials that you can upload at the time of submission.
Electronic Press Kit (EPK) - includes:
Director and Producer biography and head shots,
Cast and crew lists with their roles identified,
5x Behind the Scenes (BTS) images from the production process.
You must include a contact name, email address, contact number and address with your entry.
Lavuth' iBhayi 2018-2019 © All Rights Reserved