The BigBang International Short Film Festival is an online and live screening festival. It is arranged by t-shOrt (www.t-short.gr ) and hosted by the ultimate and biggest short film website in Greece www.shortfilm.gr
The Greek production company t-shOrt passionately supports short films and everything that is related to their production, marketing and distribution. It aims to promote new talents, creators and artists who love and express themselves through this medium. It focuses on films which get away from the mainstream and on those that attempt to communicate through a unique and personal perspective. The company has been active in short films since 2001, while it's founder, and artistic director of the festival, the film director and producer, Mr. Kyriakos Chatzimichailidis has been active since 1990 ( 25 years of ongoing activity within the short film spectrum.)
This year (2017) the BBisff established as annual competition of short films, (BigBang International Short Film Festival), with a different theme every year. For this year's edition (2017) the theme relates to the question "Unemployment".
Subject matter: “UNEMPLOYMENT”
The “Unemployment” theme aims to highlight the issue of global unemployment through the form of the aesthetic style of short films. A short film can depict briefly, flexibly, concentrated and highly opinionated topics like “unemployment”, and transmit them through a fresh, youthful and bold perspective.
Due to the economic crisis and the unemployment that has spread through it, the chosen theme for 2017 is “UNEMPLOYMENT”. This is not only a concern that evolves around Greece, but resonates internationally since more or less most countries are troubled over it. The international economic crisis that has been imposed on people's lives, constantly creates new situations and requires an ever changing psychological mode from one country to another and from one current status to the next.
The festival and the "Unemployment" theme is supported by the Greek Ministry of Economy, Development and Tourism through the program entitled “An opportunity for everyone”, with the intension to raise awareness around important matters. Even though the support involves organizing events within a national range, we decided it would be better and more fruitful to work with the topic of “Unemployment” through an international dimension.
The term “Unemployment” suggests every movie that states this difficult situation in any form. Either directly, through the main theme of the film, or indirectly, coming through a second level within the story, but while playing an important role in the development and action of the film. It can also involve some of the relative subjects of unemployment. For example:
• Issues that occupy an unemployed person
• Job seeking
• The employer who fires someone
• The suffering employee
• The threat over miserable wages
• The psychological effects of being fired and unemployed
• The personal and social dangers that come through being fired and being poor
• Financial deprivation
• The difficulty of paying financial obligations
• The psychological state of the unemployed and of the employer
• The homeless
• The beggar
• The economic migrant
• Suicide due to the psychological exhaustion of poverty
• The recovery programs for the unemployed
• The political dimensions of poverty and unemployment
• …these and other related topics is what the festival is interested in.
Festival's contact details
Information of the festival can be viewed through various internet sites, mass media, newsletters, TV broadcasts, social media, facebook, twitter, etc.
From the first action 30 films will be selected through public voting to create the top30. These films will be competing in the second action for the 3 first prizes. *1
• FIRST PRIZE (700,00 EURO)
• SECOND PRIZE (500,00 EURO)
• THIRD PRIZE (300,00 EURO)
*1 the above amounts are, up to now, the smallest amounts for the 3 winners. We are, however, in the procedure of looking for sponsors who will contribute in a further financial support for the winners. This is going to be announced by the 15 February 2017 and will be posted in this section on freefilmway.
10 special awards *2
2. Actor 1
3. Actor 2
7. Costume design
8. Film Editing
9. Special effects
*2 The special awards don't have a financial reward.
The festival takes place within the following chronological prerequisites-timeline:
2 FEBRUARY 2017 OPENING DATE OF SUBMITTING PROPOSALS
20 MARCH 2017 CLOSING DATE OF SUBMITTING PROSPOSALS
5 APRIL 2017 DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE FIRST PHASE CHOSEN PARTICIPANTS
5 APRIL 2017 OPENING DATE OF ONLINE PROJECTION AND PUBLIC VOTING
30 APRIL 2017 CLOSING DATE OF ONLINE PROJECTION AND PUBLIC VOTING (SECOND PHASE)
1-9 MAY 2017 SPECIAL PROJECTION OF THE CHOSEN FILMS FOR THE 3MEMBER COMMITTEE.
9 MAY 2017 OPENING DATE OF PROJECTION IN THE MOVIE THEATRE
10 MAY 2017 DATE OF THE CLOSING CEREMONY AND AWARDS IN THE MOVIE THEATRE (THIRD PHASE)
10 MAY 2017 AWARD ANNOUNCEMENT
• Works in progress are not taken into consideration. Please submit films that have reached their complete and final form.
• All the entries must be submitted with an online screener (vimeo link or any comparable site will be accepted). The films that will be chosen for the first action need to send a High Definition file (mpg, mxf, H264 or any other file that is compatible for projection), with wetransfer or something that can be feasibly downloaded.
• The projection on the website www.shortfilm.gr is done with online streaming by t-shOrt (organizing company) channel, especially created for the festival, on vimeo.com. After their online screening in the 1st action, films will be removed from this channel.
• Before viewing each movie, the festival’s short spot will be projected.
• The coordinators have the right to use a small amount of shots from each film to create a trailer, which aims to promote the festival and to project extracts from the films in the central theatre.
• All films need to either be in English or to (necessarily) have English subtitles.
• The winners will create a small greeting video which will be projected during the closing ceremony and has to be sent through the internet (via wetransfer). Apart from their personal views concerning the festival and the awards, winners are also invited to answer the following question: “Tell us something about the “unemployment” issue in your country and why did you choose this theme for your film?”
The films will be selected in three phases:
• The first phase consists of the selection of films that will have submitted their application on the platform freewayfilm.com
• The second phase consists of the online projection of the chosen films, where, through public voting, 30 films will be selected to create a top30. This will take place on the last day, 30 April 2017 at 12.00 pm Greek time.
• The third phase consists of the projection of the 30 selected films in a central theatre, where the final awards will be nominated by a 3 member jury.
Films that can take part in the festival:
Short films FICTION up to 30 min
Short films DOCUMENTARY up to 30 min
Short films ANIMATION up to 30 min
The festival resigns from the entry film fees, since short film is a category which globally faces economical difficulties. Hence there is no cost for submission of proposals for the festival.
Date of film production:
The festival has a retrospective character. For this reason, it is also interested in older films which outline the issue of unemployment within the recent 5 year period. Thus, films of the last 5 years can also be submitted for the festival. The oldest date of a film production is 2012.
A world premiere is not necessary.
Procedure of film selection:
• From the films that will be submitted on filmfreeway, the artistic director with his advisor will select 60 (sixty) films for the first action (online projection and public voting).
• From the first action (online projection) the 30 best films will be selected through public voting (top 30).
• During the second action and after the projection of these 30 films in a central movie theatre in Athens, the three first prizes and ten (10) special awards will emerge through the 3 member committee.
The festival consists of 2 actions:
• 1st ACTION: Online top30 competition. The selected films will be posted all together on the 5th April 2017 on the following website www.shortfilm.gr and will stay online until the 30th April 2017. Meanwhile, they can be viewed freely with the aim to create a top30 through public voting. These 30 films will initiate the second active phase.
• 2nd ACTION: The 30 (thirty) films that will be selected from the first action (top30), will be screened in a central theatre in Athens (MICROKOSMOS THEATER), during the second action of the festival, giving the opportunity to a 3 member committee that will be formed to assign the 3 first prizes. These prizes and 10 special awards will be given on the night of the last day of the festival.
Our online cinema (1st action)
www.shortfilm.gr is one of the most important sites for Greek short films. Within the frame of this site, online short film competitions take place, under the name of BigBangShortFilmFestival. Unemployment International Short Film Festival is part of the actions of the BigBangShortFilmFestival. The films are projected through a website which has been worked on aesthetically, and is communicated to multiple viewers and internet users. You can get an idea here: http://www.bigbang.gr/movie.asp?id=22
The movie theatre (2nd action)
The films that will be selected for the top30 of the 1st action will be projected in a central theatre in Athens. This event will be a tribute to “Unemployment”. This movie theater called MICROCOSMOS, located at 106 Sygrou Street, 117 41 Athens, Greece. It is a very nice and friendly room with good orientation in the film and with special affection for short films. http://www.mikrokosmos.gr, email@example.com
• The artistic director and his advisor will select films that will be given to freefilmway. From all the films that will be submitted on filmfreeway, 60 will be chosen (approximately and according to their final length) for the 1st action.
• The viewers and online users will vote online during the 1st action on the following website www.shortfilm.gr and the top30 will be chosen for the 2nd action.
• The 3 member committee will assess them and give the 3 first prizes and the 10 special awards in the 2nd action. The jury consists of people from the cinema field who play an active and important role in the short film area. The names and characteristics of these people will soon be announced.