The Syracuse International Film Festival 2018 will take place on October 10-14, 2018. Now in its 15th year, the festival presents films from around the world in a juried competition. There will be four top cash awards, starting at $1,000, a special music video and web series award, three of the festival’s coveted beautiful crystal Sophia Awards, and other category specific awards.
The Festival is sponsored by the Syracuse International Film Festival in partnership with CNY Film Professionals and Syracuse University.
We seek films on any subject. Submissions can be any length, any genre, and can include Feature Film, Feature Documentaries, Animation, Experimental Films, Short Films, Music Videos, and Web Series.
Music Videos will be judged based on the creative quality and concept of the visual.
For Web Series, filmmakers should submit only ONE episode.
All submissions must have a copyright date of 2016 or later.
Judges are professional filmmakers, film critics, and writers.
All projects officially selected receive the SIFF laurel and certificate.
Monetary prizes and citations will be given for the top films selected by the jury, with a total prize amount of $2,000 USD.
First prize award - $1,000; 2nd Prize - $500; 3rd prize - $250; special prize - $250. In addition, there will be non-monetary laurels and citations for films in other categories. And there will be additional awards for our two special showcases: Imaging Disability in Film, and Films on Social Justice.
Before you submit your film, please read these Rules and Terms.
By submitting, you agree to be bound by the terms of these Rules and Terms. Submitting your film is not a guarantee of selection. All the official selection, nominees and the winners will be listed on our website. All films accepted into competition will receive a certificate. Please note that we do not offer application fee waivers. Also note that submission deadlines are postmark deadlines. We are granting no waivers from submission fees.
1. The festival is open to any film completed after January 1, 2016.
2. Films may only be submitted thorough FilmFreeway, and SIFF only accepts digital submissions.
3. Films made in languages other than English must have English subtitles.
4. By submitting the submitter grants SIFF the right to excerpt any film submitted to promote the festival. The individual or entity submitting the film warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements, rules, and regulations.
5. SIFF reserves the right to refuse entries, or to reject any film or screenplay that contains prohibited content or in its sole discretion SIFF deems offensive or inappropriate.
6. The submitter agrees to indemnify and hold harmless SIFF from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and court costs) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits and publicity.
7. SIFF will not refund any fees if the filmmaker fails to submit the film in the correct category. Films submitted without the correct fees or proper submission media may be deemed ineligible at the discretion of the SIFF program or executive director. The festival does not cover expenses incurred by the filmmaker.
8. After a film has been an official selection, the filmmaker will be notified, and the film listed on the festival website under Official Selections. The Official Selection status does not mean that your film will be screened at the festival. It means that you are now eligible for the nomination and you can use the festival logo on your poster.
9. An official selection will be privately screened for the SIFF judging panel, and will not be screened initially to the public.
10. All the best films of each category will receive a digital certificate.
11. All entry fees are non-refundable.
12. We require an official trailer, poster and/or stills, synopsis and a link to your film. Please select the correct category while submitting to avoid disqualification. We reserve right to re-assign films to the appropriate category.
13. The winning monetary awards will be provided by check or sent through our PayPal account. If the filmmaker does not pass the PayPal account for a period of 30 days after notification, the winner will lose the right to win the prize.
14. SIFF may without advance notice amend these Rules and Terms from time to time. Each such amendment becomes effective immediately. It is your responsibility to periodically check for updates of these Rules and Terms.
15. Unless the filmmaker objects, films that will be juried or their trailers will be shown online for a limited time of two weeks through our website, SyrFilm.com, so that the area community and the worldwide public have an opportunity to view them. In addition, SIFF may contact filmmakers to offer additional screening opportunities on our website and/or other venues.
16. Entrants are responsible for obtaining necessary licenses, royalties, release forms, clearances, and permits necessary to present their work. SIFF is not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement related to the work. Although every precaution will be taken to safeguard all materials sent to the festival, SIFF is not responsible for damage to any materials incurred by shipping to or from the festival.
17. If your film is selected for inclusion, please allow download of the film for the festival officials. If shipped, the supplier of the exhibition copy is responsible for the cost of the shipment to SIFF, and SIFF will not return exhibition copies, hard drives, flash drive, or other physical submissions.
18. SIFF does not pay additional charges for originals, masters, or special prints.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS DISCLAIMER:
All filmmakers grant full and unrestricted permission for SIFF to screen the film at times of the festivals choice and to charge an admission fee for the presentation.
All Filmmakers who submit films understand and agree that they do not participate in receiving any funds from the Box-office proceeds which are fully retained by the festival.
All filmmakers release SIFF from any and all liability for damages or destruction of the entered film. Filmmakers understand that the entered film will be retained in festival offices, but that the festival assumes no liability whatsoever for theft, copyright violations or piracy of the entry.
Filmmakers understand that the festival will do everything possible to present the film in the best possible manner but SIFF is not responsible for any malfunctions during the festival screening. SIFF assumes no responsibility for any technical difficulties in the presentation of this film at the actual event.
SIFF reserves the complete right to make changes in the program dates and times and to possibly not screen the video, despite its being selected for screening.
Additional submission Information for The Syracuse International Film Festival may be found at www.SyrFilm.com.