Held at Australia's most iconic film destination - Broken Hill, the Perfect Light Film Festival is an annual FREE short film festival. Please visit www.perfectlightfilmfestival.com.au for more information.
The festival will run March 24-26 2023. The festival includes a short film festival (held Saturday March 25 at Sturt Park, Broken Hill) where up to 20 short listed films are screened and are judged live by a panel of celebrity judges and industry professionals - all competing for prizes.
PLFF attracts film-makers and filmgoers from all over the country and is supported by Industry bodies.
Filmmakers of any level are encouraged to submit a short film up to 15 minutes in length by the cut off date.
If successful, your film may also be screened at a later stage at PLFF ‘pop up’ cinemas and via online partnerships.
Films that have previously been short listed as a finalist (final 12) at Film Festival Australia events (Peninsula Film Festival, Peninsula Short Film Festival) will not be considered for the Festival .
There are great prizes for PLFF winners.
FIRST PRIZE - $1K CASH
SECOND PRIZE - $500 CASH
THIRD PRIZE - $250 CASH
BEST INTERNATIONAL - $200AUD CASH
EMERGING FILMMAKER AWARD (Open to any Australian student 18 years and under) - $500 CASH for individual Emerging Filmmaker
Plus a load of other goodies to win.
Films MUST be no more than 15 minutes in length (including credits)
Guidelines and Terms & Conditions are available via the website at:
Terms & Conditions
To enter your short film into The Perfect Light Film Festival 2023 (‘Festival’), which is run by PLFF, you (‘Producer’) must:
- Enter via FilmFreeway;
- Submit your short film by Friday February 10, 2023. ($20 USD fee via FilmFreeway);
- Films entered MUST have been made within the two years preceding the date of Festival.
By entering your short film on FilmFreeway, the Producer has consented to enter the Film in the Festival and accepts the conditions, entry guidelines and terms and conditions set out in this agreement.
Films that have previously been short listed at Film Festival Australia events (Peninsula Film Festival, Peninsula Short Film Festival) will not be considered for the Festival.
In the event that the Festival is delivered in an alternative format (e.g. Online) due to COVID19 or other circumstances beyond the control of the PLFF , you consent to your film (if selected) being part of this alternative format program.
2. Judging of Films
Between twelve (12) and twenty (20) films will be chosen as finalists for viewing and judging at the Festival on the night (2023 March 11) (or any other date PLFF may nominate).
A final twelve (12) short listed films will be screened along with a selection of additional films chosen in the following category – Emerging Filmmaker Awards (open to Australian students attending any school aged 18 years and under). All films will be considered for the final 12 short list prior to being considered for selection in the additional categories.
PLFF will select the judging panel to judge the short list finalists. The short listed films will be judged on the night of the Festival, again by a panel chosen by PLFF and made up of industry professionals (including actors, directors, writers, producers and others). The judges will watch the finalist films live on the night of the Festival and score them. PLFF will tally these results and calculate an average score for each film. The highest score will win. The judges are asked to use their own judgement and will be evaluating the films on creativity, talent, sound directing, writing and producing.
All prizes awarded are not transferable, exchangeable or redeemable for cash.
3. Important Dates
17 February 2023 - Submissions MUST be received by 6pm on this date
5 March 2023 – Shortlisted Films Announced
13 March 2023 – Shortlisted Film Entrants to advise of attendance at Festival
Festival (Sat March 25) – The Perfect Light Film Festival
4. Producer’s Representations and Warranties
The Producer hereby represents and warrants to PLFF that:
- The Producer has the sole and full right and authority to accept these Terms and Conditions and enter into this agreement and grant the rights to PLFF pursuant to this the agreement;
- The film complies with the terms and conditions;
- The Producer has permission (or acquired all necessary rights) to reproduce and exploit all third party materials (and / or the results and proceeds of all third party services) contained in the film or upon which the film is based;
- The Producer has permission to use or acquired all necessary rights (including copyright) in the sound recordings comprising the soundtrack of the film and any other the music or lyrics reproduced in the film;
- All the performers in the film have consented in writing to the use of their performances in the film;
- The Producer has obtained from each contributor to the Film, a written release to use the results and proceeds of the contributor’s services and waive any moral rights, including without limitation -, the right to edit, alter and/or reproduce the results and proceeds of the contributor by the Producer or PLFF or its assignees or licensees;
- The Producer will pay all fees and other charges related to entry of the film in PLFF;
- All details submitted in the entry form by the Producer are true and correct;
- All payments to contributors in connection with the film have been paid;
- No part of the film is, or will be, actionable for defamation or violate any right of privacy or publicity of any person.
5. General License *
The Producer grants PLFF a non-exclusive royalty free, worldwide license, in perpetuity , to distribute, sub-license and otherwise exploit the film, or any part of the film, in any and all media, whether known or hereafter devised, including, without limitation, theatrical; non-theatrical; television (all forms including free, pay, terrestrial, cable and satellite), subscription-video-on-demand, electronic rental, download to own and other forms of electronic delivery including internet, online and mobile transmission by any and all means, method, process, device now known or hereafter devised, and all advertising, publicity and promotional rights.
6. Dubbing/Subtitling/Editing *
The Producer acknowledges and agrees that PLFF, its assignees and sub-licensees, shall have the right to dub and/or subtitle and to cut and/or edit the film in any fashion that PLFF deems necessary, including, without limitation, for the purpose of television broadcast or line distribution, packaging the Film with other PLFF films, to comply with broadcasting statutory censorship practices, standards or regulations or as otherwise may be required by law in any applicable country where the Film may be exhibited. The Producer hereby waives all of its moral rights in the film.
PLFF may, in its sole discretion, disqualify a film from the Festival if PLFF has reason to believe that a film does not, for any reason, comply with these terms and conditions.
The Producer agrees to indemnify PLFF and hold them harmless from any damages, liabilities, losses, costs, expenses, obligations or claims arising out of the breach of the terms and conditions under this Agreement.
9. Additional Documents
Producer hereby agrees to supply any additional documents (eg copyright for music, actors release etc...) in a timely manner upon PLFF’s request.
*If your film is selected to be part of a package, PLFF will enter into an agreement with the filmmaker and an agreed percentage of sales will be payable to the filmmaker. This percentage will be based on net profit. (e.g. after production and marketing costs are recouped).