In 2018, the international film community witnessed the return of the Super Shorts Film Festival London, an annual event that highlighted independent short film talent for more than a decade. Allthough the 2018 edition was modest in approach it proved that the Super Shorts Film Festival London is still very much relevant. One of the reasons to make the 2019 edition even more ambitious. Not only will we be screening three days, we'll also using the Stephen Street location of the BFI (Britisch Film Institute) as our screening base.
Talent Circle in London founded the Super Shorts London Film Festival in 2003, to focus explicitly on short films in all its forms and shapes. During its original eleven year run, the festival shown over 2,000 incredible short films, from slick 35mm shorts to weird and wonderful experimental films. Super Shorts held over 120 events, including seminars, panel discussions and workshops. This resulted in rave reviews:
”The best short films from around the world“ Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley from the Harry Potter series)
“The best in short cinema from around the world“ Timeout london
“The world's best new shorts” Metro newspaper
In 2010 Chris Jones became one of the leading names of the festival. Chris Jones is a filmmaker and author of the internationally bestselling "Guerilla Film Makers Handbook" series. In 2009 his short film 'Gone Fishing' was Oscar shortlisted, won the prestigious Producers Guild of America's Best Short Film and collected over 40 international awards.
Unfortunately, in its original incarnation, the festival came to an end in 2014. Inspired by that original movement, the revived Super Shorts Film Festival London will continue to emphasize lesser known, vanguard cinematic works and further its tradition of galvanizing budding talent. As in its earlier years, the 2018 festival will create an intimate atmosphere and space for unique visionaries and voices. True to its history, the festival will screen films of both novices and veterans—with medium and low budgets—from all over the globe. The festival’s goal is to create a warm, open atmosphere in which filmmakers, fans, critics, and producers can watch the films of emerging talents, explore new cinematic techniques and styles, and award cinematic excellence.
The Super Shorts Film Festival London will take place on December 5-7 2019 at BFI Stephen Street, London.
Super Shorts Film Festival London on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/event/ev0001606/
Entrance to the screenings is free of charge.
Small, cosy and intimate, BFI Stephen Street is a world away from your everyday multiplex experience. Free of advertising and trailers, this is the place to come to indulge your love of good film.
All selected films will receive a full submission fee waiver package worth at least 250 USD. Partner festivals include the Boston Short Film Festival and the Hong Kong Arthouse Film Festival.
The selected films are viewed by the Festival Jury and winners are picked for the following awards;
Best Super Shorts Film
Best Narrative Film
Best Documentary Film
Best Experimental Film
Best Animated Film
Best Underground Film
Best Music Video
Best UK Film
1. The Film Festival - means the Super Shorts International Film Festival to be held during 2019.
2. The Organiser - means Tarkovski Limited and any companies, including but not limited to, that are involved on Tarkovski's behalf in any aspect of this competition.
3. The Film means the entry submitted to the Super Shorts International Film Festival.
4. The Film, entered into the Film Festival, may be generated using any medium (e.g. sequenced stills, digital, video, film, animation, etc.). The Film can be in colour or black & white and must be submitted via an online screener. Films can be of any genre such as documentary, comedy, drama, etc. but must not be of a commercial nature, i.e. promote a product, brand or company.
5. If the Film includes a soundtrack which is not original (i.e. composed and recorded by yourself) you MUST obtain clearance for use in the Film. Please contact the bodies established in your country that handle licensing of music.
6. The Organiser reserves the right to disqualify incomplete, altered or illegible entries.
7. No submission (this is includes dvd's and application forms) are to be sent physically. Super Shorts is an environmentally friendly festival that only accepts online submission.
8. Multiple entries per person are permitted and an entry form must be completed for each film submitted. Payment of entry does not guarantee acceptance to the Festival and is non-refundable under any circumstances.
9. The Organiser will undertake the selection process and the judging criteria of the Film will be based on the film originality, style, impact and overall finished quality.
10. The judges shall use absolute discretion in judging the Film and their decisions shall be final. No correspondence or appeals process shall be entered into to explain, clarify or verify the judges' decisions.
11. Entrants of selected films will be notified by email. If selected, you must deliver the Film and promotional material such as still images and filmmaker biographies to the Organiser in the requested format within fourteen days of the request. Failure to do so may lead to the withdrawal of your film from the festival programme.
12. You grant the Organiser the non-exclusive right to screen the film in London for the purposes of promoting the Film, the Film Festival and the Organisers. You grant the Organiser permission to use excerpts of the Film in trailers, clips and compilation videos for the purposes of promoting the Film, the Film Festival and the Organisers. You grant the Organiser permission to make copies of the Film and distribute it to press for the purposes of promoting the Film, the Film Festival and the Organisers.
13. The Organiser makes no guarantee that prizes will be awarded. In the event of the Organiser not awarding a prize or reward for entry there will be no cash alternative. The Organiser reserves the right to substitute any stated prize should the stated prize become unavailable.
14. The Organiser will issue a receipt for submissions by email. If your receipt is not received within 14 working days after your submission please contact Super Shorts through the email address on firstname.lastname@example.org
15. You warrant to the Organiser that the Film is wholly original to you and does not infringe the rights of any third party and that you own the copyright in respect of your film and shall continue to keep indemnified the Organiser, their servants and agents against all loss, liability, claims or costs (including legal fees) incurred, awarded or agreed by the Organisers as a direct result of reasonably foreseeable consequence of any breach or non-performance of any of the represented warranties or undertakings by you.
16. Selected films and the festival programme will be announced on www.supershorts.org
17. The festival does not offer screening fees for its films. By submitting through FilmFreeway you are agreeing to NOT request a screening fee as a requirement for your film's participation in the festival, should your film get selected for the program.
18. Since the festival only requires a nominal entry fee, we will NOT accept requests for other entry fee waivers.
19. This agreement will be construed under and subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.