𝐌arkham is Canada’s most diverse community with the highest proportion of visible minorities than any other city named this year as Canada’s most diverse city.
Diverse city is the key for the new independent filmmakers around the world.
Markham (Canada) International Film Festival (𝐌𝐂𝐈𝐅𝐅) is dedicated to independent cinema and filmmakers from all over the world.
𝐌𝐂𝐈𝐅𝐅 is established by a team of filmmakers and film critics. The members of the jury are film scholars, filmmakers and critics from Canada & around the world.
The festival is located in north of Toronto in the beautiful Diverse town of Markham.
Markham (Canada) International Film Festival (𝐌𝐂𝐈𝐅𝐅) is conducting an innovative international film festival and invites participation from aspiring and upcoming independent filmmakers. A unique film Festival, focusing on opportunity creation for global filmmakers.
𝐌𝐂𝐈𝐅𝐅 supports independent cinema across formats and aims to showcase the best talent & cinema from across the globe.
Reaching a potential audience of millions of movie lovers at Markham and Canada.
Everyone has a story to tell, our goal is to inspire and encourage people to share their stories using the media of film and to create events that enable the sharing of those stories across communities and beyond. "Bringing the World to Diverse city of Markham, Canada through a shared passion for film and the power of storytelling.”
Our mission is to promote films, and be another step up in the filmmakers' careers.
All winners will receive Trophy & Certificates.
Awards & Prizes are only one part of this great festivals amenities. Don't miss out on this great opportunity and festival to get your name and projects recognition out there.
The 𝐌𝐂𝐈𝐅𝐅 will present cash awards in the following categories for 2022 winners at the Festival.
$1,000 Cash Prize for Best Narrative Feature
$1,000 Cash Prize for Best Documentary Feature
$500 Cash Prize for Best Narrative Short
$500 Cash Prize for Best Documentary Short
$500 Cash Prize for Best Music
& more Awards to all other Categories.
* Big awards, connections, over 30 categories and opportunities to collect on!
• All Categories
• Best Feature Film
• Feature Documentary
• Short Film
• Short Documentary
• Best Covid19 Film
• Super Short Film
• Student Film
• Music Video
• Web/TV Series
• Experimental Film
• Animated Film
• Inspirational Film
• Drama Short Film
• Comedy Short Film
• Horror Short Film
• Thriller Short Film
• Action Short Film
• Sci-Fi Short Film
• Fantasy Short Film
• LGBTQ Short Film
• Best Poster
• Best Photography
• Best Short Script
• Best Feature Script
The following awards can be assigned for short or feature films, any genre:
𝕭𝖊𝖘𝖙 Makeup and Hairstyling
First Time Director
Director Feature Film
Director Short Film
Director Super Short Film
𝕭𝖊𝖘𝖙 Original Screenplay
𝕭𝖊𝖘𝖙 Costume Design
A) 𝐌𝐂𝐈𝐅𝐅 Eligibility Requirements
1. We accept films of all genres.
2. Films completed on or after Jan 1, 2016 are eligible for considerations. All entries must be either in English or subtitled in English.
3. Short films must be under 40 minutes and features should be 40 mins and over.
4. Multiple entries from the same submitter are accepted. A separate submission and a separate entry fee must accompany each entry.
5. Entrants confirm and warrant required legal authority to submit the entry to the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
6. Only HD format films are screen at festival.
B) 𝐌𝐂𝐈𝐅𝐅 Submission Guidelines
1. Films must be submitted via online screener hosted by Vimeo,youtube, on DVD or on Blu-ray disc.
2. Only complete entries (including fee payment) will be considered.
3. Entrants are permitted to submit works-in-progress (i.e., without final color correction or sound mixing), but please note that the programming committee will only consider the version submitted. Subsequent cuts or replacement copies will only be accepted at the request of the programming committee.
4. No filmmaker or writer will be either discriminated or favored by their country of origin, language, age, race, education, ideology, or by their economic resources.
C) 𝐌𝐂𝐈𝐅𝐅 Judging & Selection
Films are selected for Festival presentation by the Markham International Film Festival programming committee. If a film is selected, the Festival office will contact the entrant by phone or email. The Festival does not provide feedback or screening notes to entries that are not selected.
All competitive film categories are judged during the Festival.
D) 𝐌𝐂𝐈𝐅𝐅 Entry Fees
Each entry must be accompanied by the appropriate entry fee. Entry fees are not refundable. Fees cover registration, registration notification, consideration by the programming department, and notification of the results. These fees may be paid by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, or American Express).
E) We do not accept:
1. Amateur videos
2. Extremist or propaganda content from religious or political organizations