With GlobeDocs, The Boston Globe furthers its reach as an organization dedicated to shedding light on the truth by presenting the work of filmmakers near and far who are also focused on telling important stories, large and small.
GlobeDocs holds monthly free screenings leading up to the annual festival. The annual GlobeDocs Film Festival is a six-day documentary festival designed to engage, promote, and celebrate film and production talent. The festival, which takes place in select theaters across Boston, is specifically curated to include a lively, hosted post-film conversation with Boston Globe journalists to turn screenings into an opportunity for the community to come together and have an open dialogue.
The fifth annual festival will take place on October 2 to 6, 2019 at the Brattle Theatre and Coolidge Corner Theatre. Please check back for details.
Audience Award: The GlobeDocs Film Festival will offer an Audience Award. Filmgoers will have an opportunity to vote at each screening they attend.
The Boston Globe Filmmakers Fund Award: The Boston Globe Filmmakers Fund Award, established in 2014, supports visionary filmmakers with an annual grant while furthering Boston’s role as an epicenter of documentary film. Contributions to the fund have been donated by patrons of GlobeDocs throughout the year. Thank you to our many supporters.
The GlobeDocs Film Festival is dedicated to showcasing independent US and international documentaries, offering a full program of full-length and short films curated by an established programming team, with submissions reviewed by a dedicated screening committee. If you are interested in submitting your work, please read all the information below and follow the instructions.
• GlobeDocs FilmFestival shows documentary features and documentary shorts in DCP and BluRay.
• Film must have been completed after January 1, 2018.
• Any number of titles may be submitted by an entrant. However, each title requires its own separate entry form, review copy and entry fee.
• All accepted films are eligible for the Audience Award.
• Feature films may not have been released theatrically, appeared online, or aired on television in the U.S. prior to the festival.
• ONLY online preview copies are accepted for submissions.
• Be sure to upload photos, stills and press kits or include a web link. If your work is selected, photos will be used for promotion and for the GlobeDocs Film Festival website and catalog. Please do NOT send unessential materials (such as bio, reviews or other publicity kits) unless absolutely necessary.
• Acknowledgment of receipt of your entry will be made by via FilmFreeway. Preview DVDs and support materials will not be returned. You will be notified of acceptance or rejection via email by approximately August 15, 2019.
-Filmmakers must be available to attend the festival to participate in a Q&A with Boston Globe journalists.
• GlobeDocs Film Festival does not pay rental/screening fees for submitted works which are programmed.
• GlobeDocs Film Festival will pay RETURN shipping for the film (exhibition copy) within the Continental U.S. ONLY. It is the filmmaker’s responsibility to deliver the film to the festival via the requested method by: September 15, 2019
• Selected short films may be programmed to screen either before a feature, as part of a shorts program, at an event, or any combination thereof.
• For Shorts Programs: GlobeDocs Film Festival creates a master exhibition reel of every shorts program. If your film is selected for a shorts program, final cut must be provided in the form of digital upload (acceptable formats include Apple ProRes (HQ, or LT) 4:2:2 or h.264 HD 1920x1080 Bit rate at least 8mb/s).
Contact email: email@example.com