Our motto is: Make a film. Change the world. The Mosaic World Film Fest presents quality independent work that may not otherwise be seen in commercial theaters, and represents filmmakers and film communities from around the world.
We are looking for competence in the filmmaking craft; work that has vision and spirit; original subjects with well-told stories; and diverse voices. We look for films that represent different facets of filmmaking, and polished productions to no-budget gems.
The festival welcomes comedy and drama and everything in between. We have categories for narrative, documentary, experimental, animated projects, and music videos of any length. We have both student and open awards for all of our categories. Entries from any country are accepted.
Our past MWFF fest judges have included some terrific filmmakers including: Oscar-winning director Dan Lindsay, Oscar-nominated and Sundance Film Festival winning director Bing Liu, Film and TV director Elizabeth Allen Rosenbaum, cinematographer Cynthia Pusheck A.S.C., production designer Kevin Conran, educator and filmmaker Camille DeBose, and many more.
The 14th annual fest will be held in person at the Nordlof Center in Rockford, IL on September 17th, 18th, and 19th 2021. For more information on us please visit the MWFF website: http://mosaicfilmfest.com or look for the hashtag #2021MWFF
Submissions for our 2021 fest will open on October 1st, 2020. The entry period for the 2020 fest will be October 1st, 2020 - June 15th, 2021.
Award certificates are presented to the best films in all categories as decided by our panel of industry professional judges.
Best Narrative Film
Best Narrative Film (Student)
Best Documentary Film
Best Documentary Film (Student)
Best Animated Film
Best Animated Film (Student)
Best Music Video
Best Music Video (Student)
Best Experimental Film
Best Experimental Film (Student)
Our top prize is the Mosaic Spotlight Award which is awarded to the top feature film out of all categories.
THE SUBMISSION PERIOD FOR OUR NEXT FEST (#2021MWFF) IS CLOSED. IT WILL OPEN ON OCTOBER 1st, 2020.
2021 MWFF SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Each filmmaker may submit up to, and no more than, three (3) films. A separate entry fee in US currency and separate submission form is required for each film entered.
- Film duration must be between 1 second and 45 minutes including credits and opening sequences for short film categories. All films 46 minutes or over will be placed in the feature film categories.
- Films should be within an American “R” rating (Go to MPAA: https://www.motionpictures.org/film-ratings/ to see what each rating means) or lower and final decisions on content are at the ultimate discretion of the preliminary judges who will be previewing the films before the event.
- Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the MWFF and to use all music, images, and content in the entry.
- Entrant will allow usage of clips from the film for promotional use on television, radio, in print, and at live MWFF events.
- If their work is selected for the fest, the entrant will allow usage of the full film for an in-person and live MWFF screening.
- If the in-person fest or event is cancelled and an online fest or screening is necessary, the filmmaker retains the right to not screen the film online if desired.
- Films should either be in English or have English subtitles. Non-English entries submitted without subtitles are not eligible.
- Films may be entered into ONE category only.
- Films must be submitted by June 14th, 2021.
- To be eligible for awards in their category, films must have been made on or after January 1st, 2020. Films made prior to that date will be considered for screening at the fest, but will not be eligible for competitive awards.
- Films previously submitted to the MWFF are NOT eligible.
- If your film is selected a high quality HD download (minimum 720p) of your film (if not already submitted) and any EPK or marketing materials will be requested.
Any questions or clarifications should be directed to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submitting your film(s).
Our panel will review your films and we’ll let you know by July 20th, 2021 whether or not your film has been selected for this year’s Mosaic World Film Festival. Full session listings and schedules will be posted by August 19th, 2021. Award-winners for each category will be announced at our #20210MWFF Opening Night Event on Friday, September 17th, 2021.
All filmmakers who have a film selected for the #2021MWFF event will receive a complimentary VIP fest pass for two, which will allow them and a guest admission to all sessions at the festival.