ANIMATION + DARK COMEDY + FANTASY + HORROR + SCI-FI + EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN AND AMAZING CRAFT BEER
"An amazing first year for what will no doubt be an important genre film festival ongoing. Amazing, interesting people. A diverse selection of films. Ambitious. Upbeat. A great place to watch strange cinema and hang out with people who, like us, eat, sleep and breathe movies. Can’t wait to go back!"
— CHRIS ALEXANDER, FILMMAKER, MANAGING EDITOR OF SHOCK TILL YOU DROP AND (FORMERLY) FANGORIA
Fantastic Cinema and Craft Beer Festival screens innovative and imaginative films from bold visionaries who are not afraid to do what it takes to create films that challenge, inspire, and ultimately thrill audiences. These fantastic films are presented alongside the very best craft beer from the state of Arkansas.
The combination of interesting buzz-worthy films, attending filmmakers from all over the country, specially brewed craft beers, and nightly after-parties held at a different craft beer brewery each night helps create an awesome, unique festival experience that you will be talking about long after it's over. And if you are not a beer drinker, no worries. We still provide a terrific all around festival experience even without the beer!
Bring us your bold visions, your magical, your scary, your alien, your frightening, your mutation, your fantastic; we want it all.
Festival press coverage has included Shock Till You Drop, Bloody-Disgusting, Daily Dead, Horror Society, Horror-movies.ca, and The Blood-Shed. Along with local newspapers, magazines, radio, and television.
"This is an event worth traveling to. I’m already planning for next year’s fest and encouraging all of my genre-loving friends to attend. I can’t wait to see how Fantastic Cinema and Craft Beer fest grows; it should definitely be considered one of the country’s premier film festivals!"
— JOSH MILLICAN, DIRECTOR OF COMMUNITY FOR CRYPT TV
In 2017, Fantastic Cinema core programming categories are:
**NEW** KODAK SHOOT ON FILM!
We are now accepting submissions for feature and short films shot on 8mm, and 16mm! The winning short film (1-30 mins) will receive $2000 in Kodak film stock! Submit for FREE in the correct category below using password KodakFC17.
More details: fantasticcinema.com/kodak
Movies in this category are often genre defying. They can be animation, drama, comedy, southern gothic, post apocalyptic, horror, and fantasy film all at the same time. The filmmakers who create these movies are not afraid to push the envelope. They are often the new, bold voices in cinema.
(Examples of "Fantastic Creations" screened at Fantastic Cinema 2016 THE FITS, ALCHEMIST COOKBOOK, THE EYES OF MY MOTHER)
Movies in this category are typically classified as Sci-Fi or Fantasy. They often take viewers on a journey to new and undiscovered places and times. Including Sci-Fi or Fantasy animation.
Horror lives here. We are looking for newest and boldest horror movies we can find. These filmmakers present their audience with terrifying visions of the known and unknown. Including animated horror.
FUN FACT: The Fantastic Cinema 2016 Best Short Film winner "THE SMILING MAN" was distributed festival sponsor CRYPT TV and have been viewed by over 5 million times.
"Had a wonderful time: it was a lot of fun. High caliber, engaging. The films were thought provoking and unique themes. Show was well executed: Bravo!"
— Michael Berryman, Actor (Cured, The Hills Have Eyes)
"Fantastic Cinema is a festival experience to remember. I am so lucky to have been invited to Fantastic Cinema & Craft Beer Festival 2016. What stood out to me is not only the hospitality and friendliness of the festival but the quality of work they show in their line up. It made my job on the jury really hard and so rewarding to see all the amazing talent that is offered in the world. I had an absolute blast at FC and can’t wait to head back. By the way, best craft beer I’ve ever had!"
— Gigi Saul Guerrero, Luchagore Productions, Filmmakers (Fantastic Cinema Emerging Filmmaker Award Winners)
Find more testimonials on our website www.fantasticcinema.com
Awards & Prizes
We call our awards "The Growlers" since each award also serves as a functioning "mini-keg" growler, which is a jug or container used to carry draft beer bought by the measure at the local breweries. Growlers are usually 64 oz.
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
Audience Award Feature Film
And more to be announced at a later date.
Prizes available include; $2000 of Kodak film stock, Final Draft 9, Movie Magic Budgeting, Soundstripe, Triune Filmmaker: Complete Download, and more to be announced.
Rules & Terms
1.Fantastic Cinema/Film Society of Little Rock is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items, including films in any medium, while en-route or in our possession, on or off of festival grounds.
2. Runtimes: Short Films are any films 1 to 44 minutes in length. Feature films are any films that are 45+ minutes.
3. Digital online screener submissions are preferred using FilmFreeway’s digital submission process (Vimeo/YouTube links). Short Films are required to use the FilmFreeway digital submission process. For Feature length films, if you cannot submit via online screener then a Region 0 or Region 1 DVD or Bluray may be submitted. Any DVD/Bluray submitted will not be returned. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to ensure the submitted DVD/Bluray plays in a standard DVD/Bluray player.
4. All films submitted must be in English dialogue or contain onscreen English subtitles. The festival reserves the right to disqualify any film that does not meet this requirement.
5. More than one entry may be submitted. Each must be submitted with its own entry form and fee.
6. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to obtain all necessary copyrights. By submitting the film you maintain you have obtained all necessary rights for exhibition.
7. COMPLETION DATE: The film must have been completed on or after January 1, 2015.
8. PREMIERE STATUS: Premiere status is taken into consideration but is not the sole determining factor. Priority may be given to films that contain a higher premiere status; World, International, North American, SouthEastern US, Arkansas)
9. Works in progress may be submitted but it must be stated on the application. If selected it is the responsibility of the Applicant to ensure the completed version arrives to the festival before the festival begins.
10. Films may have distribution but this should be noted. Distribution may or may not disqualify for Jury Awards. The decision is made by the festival is final.
11. All submissions are final. No refunds are provided.
Notification of Official Selections will be approximately 6 weeks before screening date.
If submission is selected into the festival, for exhibition purposes, an Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) or H264 digital file will be required for all Short Films for exhibition purposes. All Features Films accepted to the festival, for exhibition purposes, the Applicant must submit a Region 0 or Region 1 Bluray or DCP. At least one “backup” copy Bluray is also required. (1 backup DVD is encouraged). The Digital File, DVD, DCP or Blurays must be received no later than 2 weeks before screening date. Instructions will accompany official notification.
For films accepted for exhibition, the festival will return any Hard Drives and Blurays if requested. This is for exhibition copies only. The festival will only pay for shipping one way, if requested. Any excessive shipping fees (for example, international shipping) should be cleared through festival in advance.
SCHEDULING: Films are scheduled at the discretion of Fantastic Cinema. Fantastic Cinema retains the right to make changes to the published schedule at any time and for any reason. Films may be screened more than once. Short films may be screened at subsequent screenings for up 12 months. Every effort will be made to contact the filmmaker before an screening that occurs outside of the Fantastic Cinema festival dates.
RELEASE Fantastic Cinema is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Fantastic Cinema from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.