Calling all NC, US, and international independent filmmakers! Sonorous Road, a local Raleigh theatre, film, and arts education studio is hosting Screenings at Sonorous, a fun evening for filmmakers to show off their work and interact with a live audience.
We're looking for short films, documentaries, and experimental video projects to screen in our 99-seat black box theatre near NC State University and downtown Raleigh. Filmmakers in the Triangle and North Carolina are especially encouraged to submit, but we're also looking for some of the best regional, national, and international short films.
The 2+-hour event will include a red carpet with photo booth, over 100 minutes of select short films/documentaries, an intermission, a Q&A session with filmmakers who are able to attend, and a short awards presentation.
Admission will be $5 per person and concessions will be available for sale in the lobby. All proceeds from the event will be used to benefit Sonorous Road Film & Theatre Studio as we move to a new venue this summer. Learn more about Sonorous Road and our shows and educational programs at https://www.sonorousroad.com.
Awards will be announced at the conclusion of the evening. Awards are subject to change based on the quality and quantity of submissions, but usually include Best Overall, Best Actor, Best Actress, best Cinematography, and Best Sound Design.
The winner in each category will receive 2 tickets to any Sonorous Road main stage theatre show or other Sonorous Road official event. Based on availability & restrictions apply.
1. Films must have been completed on or after January 1st, 2015.
2. Entrant confirms he/she has full legal authority to submit the project to the festival and, if accepted, grants Sonorous the full legal right to screen the work.
3. Films may not exceed 20 minutes.
4. Films NOT in English must have English subtitles.
5. No "X-rated" or pornographic material of any kind will be accepted.
6. Non-public films will be given priority, but premiere status and online availability do not affect eligibility.
7. Entrants may submit no more than 2 projects.
8. Films previously submitted are eligible as long as they meet other requirements.
9. Films directed or produced by students may submit for free or at a reduced rate (dependent upon NC residence). Proof of student eligibility may be required (school ID, recent transcript, etc.).
10. Works "in-progress" may not be submitted.
11. Refunds are not given for any reason unless the screening is cancelled. If the screening is cancelled it will either be rescheduled or the selected films will be issued a refund.
12. Projects may not be withdrawn once accepted.
13. The judges' selections are final.
14. Sonorous Road reserves to right to modify these rules at any time.
1. Films with a "NC connection" may submit at a reduced rate in the "NC Made" category.
2. NC students may submit for free. Proof of student eligibility may be required.
3. To be eligible, at least one key cast or crew (writer, producer, director, DP, editor) member must be a NC native or resident and/or a significant part of the film must have been shot in NC.
==OUT OF STATE==
1. Films produced outside of North Carolina with no connection to the state may be submitted in the "Out of State" category.
2. Non-NC Students may submit for a reduced rate. Proof of student eligibility may be required.
1. Entrant agrees that posters, stills, clips, trailers, and other promotional materials from the project may be used by Sonorous Road to promote the screening.
2. A download link to a Mac-friendly file must be made available to the organizers within a week of notification of acceptance.
3. For each accepted film the creative team will receive 2 free tickets to the screening.
4. Any creative member involved with a selected short is encouraged (though not required) to participate in a Q&A panel.
5. Official selection laurels will be given to selected films within 3 days of notification of acceptance. Likewise, if applicable, award laurels will be sent out within 3 days of the screening.
6. Failure to comply with any of the above rules may result in cancellation of your film's screening.