Student entries are still open but International entries are now closed. For students, please use the entry code NFFFSTU19.
In this, our second year, we are celebrating the best in International and Student short film (max. runtime = 10 mins.), in seven categories this year.
We are holding live screenings for the films selected as finalists.
We will present finalist laurels to all the shortlisted films. From those, we will select a single winner from each category who will receive winners' laurels and an award.
This year we have managed to get significant sponsorship. For full details please visit our sponsorship page here: http://www.new-forest-film-festival.org.uk/sponsors/
We instigated an award in the 2018 festival which went down very well, so we'll be repeating it going forward. This was the "Audience Award", given to the most popular film according to the audience (and they don't always agree with the Judges).
For 2019 we are adding an award for the "Best Zero Budget Short" which will be picked from all the eligible finalists. Make sure you put the film's budget in your entry details or you will not be eligible for this.
We have also started two "New Forest Student" Awards this year, one for university students and one for college students. See if you qualify here: http://www.new-forest-film-festival.org.uk/categories-winners/2019/student-entries/new-forest-student-awards/
On the night of the final screening, we will be making a live announcement via Skype to the winner, in front of the judges, and the winner will have a short period to get some valuable feedback about their film.
In addition, all films selected as finalists in all categories will be considered for screening at the Godalming Film Society (approx. membership 280) during the next season (September 2019 to May 2020).
WINNERS IN 2018
Best Narrative Short
Coffee? by Sharon Ben-Tovin
Best Documentary Short
Not awarded this year
Best Animation Short
Spanish Onion by Luke Escombe
Best Sci-Fi Short
The Jump by Andy Sowerby
Best Comedy Short
American Deportation by Jen Lyon
Best Horror Short
Studded Nightmare by Jean-Claude Leblanc
A Father's Day by Chris Lane
Best in Festival
American Deportation by Jen Lyon
These rules apply to the 2019 festival. They may be subject to change for next time, depending on how we get on this year.
• Submissions will be accepted from 15 July 2018, early entry is encouraged but in no way guarantees acceptance.
• The final deadline for International entries is 12 May 2019 - NOW CLOSED
• The final deadline for Student entries is 26 May 2019 - STILL OPEN
• Films must have been completed within 18 months before the festival date (i.e. completed after 8th December 2017).
• Films must have a maximum runtime of 10 minutes (ten), including titles and credits
• There is no premiere policy here
• All non-English films must have English subtitles
• Works-in-progress will NOT be considered, so get it finished before entering
• You may submit more than one film, but you must complete a separate entry form and pay the entry fee for each film
• Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway
• Entries which do not clearly state which category they are entered for will be rejected
• Entries which do not clearly state their budget for will be excluded from the "Zero Budget Award" - tell us how much, or little, it cost to make.
• Entry fees are non-refundable
• Music videos must have copyright clearance from the band being filmed. Music videos made without permission from the music owners will be rejected.
• Entries containing excessive violence, racism or sexual content will not be considered, due to the screening policy of the venues.
• Do NOT send stills or press kits. If your film is selected we will ask you to email us something.
• Finalists will be contacted and asked to provide a DVD/Blueray or hi-res digital version of their film.
• If you have any questions about our festival, please email us and we will attempt to answer them.
• Many of the screening venues have full Dolby Atmos sound system and up to 4K projection - do what you can to make yours stand out!
Response from festival:
Jen thank you so much for your kind words. As someone who has submitted work to almost 600 festivals I wanted to make sure along with Michael that the negatives I have had to deal with over the years are not experienced by any film makers submitting to our festival. We never forget that without you guys there is no festival.