Since the early 2000s, HorrorFest has been scaring the pants off of horror lovers in Southern Utah for over two decades. Now about to embark on its 21st frightful year, the fest has certainly evolved since making its debut in 2002. What started off as a showcase for legendary horror films of the past in a theatrical setting has swelled into a 4-day showcase of independent horror films–shorts and features–from all around the world.
Sure, we still throw films of the past into the mix–after all, it’s the old guards that paved the way for a current horror climate–but this is ultimately a springboard for contemporary horror storytellers from across the globe.
So…If you’ve crafted a film of the horror variety that you’re proud of, submit it! Additionally, HorrorFest International hosts a screenplay competition so you can send your short and feature scripts as well.
Our team of expert horror curating programmers will sift through all the terrifying goodness you can dish out in an effort to put together the ultimate lineup for this October’s spine-tingling festivities.
It should be noted that HorrorFest International is a 4-day in-person festival experience held at the historic Electric Theater in St. George, UT. This is a single-screen venue with a ton of character and our programming team is fiercely committed to putting together the most terrifying of lineups.
What’s more, St. George is the perfect location for HorrorFest International. Not only is this a lovely town with lovely people but it’s also surrounded by some of the most breathtaking scenic locales in the U.S., including the likes of Zion Canyon National Park. Trust us; When you come for a visit, you’ll want to shoot your next movie here.
In addition to a lineup comprised of horror-inspired greatness from all around the world, HorrorFest International will also offer up retrospective screenings, filmmaker Q&As, industry panels, networking opportunities, a live script read, live music, a costume competition, horror trivia, an opening night reception, a closing night awards ceremony, and plenty of heart-stopping surprises.
Of course, it all starts with you, the fearless storyteller! Our submission portal goes live on February 14th, 2023. Submit your horror-based shorts, features, and screenplays! No matter where you’re from and no matter how terrifying or edgy your film is, we want to see what you’ve got! Most importantly, we want you to scare the hell out of us because, at the end of the day, that’s what horror is all about!
Submit to HorrorFest International today!
The 2023 HorrorFest International Film Festival is brought to you by the Film and Media Alliance of Southern Utah (FMASU), a nonprofit 501(c)(3) that is designed to champion, inspire, and educate filmmaking talent as well as to preserve film history and the theatrical experience. The 4-day festival will take place at the historic Electric Theater in St. George, UT from October 18th thru October 21st.
Learn more at www.fmasu.com/horrorfest
Submitting your film is not a guarantee of selection. All the official selections and award winners will be listed on our website www.fmasu.com/horrorfest. Trophies and/or certificates will be awarded to the best of the best in various categories. You do not need to submit your film more than once as we will place it in the category that we feel is best for programming.
Awards will be chosen by a jury select made up of knowledgeable film industry professionals and experts.
*HorrorFest International Categories & Awards are subject to change.
Past winners include, but categories change each year;
Best Creature Feature
Best Midnight Movie
Best Ghost Story
Best Production Design
By submitting your project, you acknowledge that you have read and agreed to all of the following rules and terms. Please thoroughly read the following before submitting your film:
HORRORFEST INTERNATIONAL ENTRY RULES AND REGULATIONS:
1. All film submissions must include a submission fee and a completed online FilmFreeway entry form.
2. Feature films (50 minutes to 130 minutes) and short films (49 minutes or less) are accepted provided they're of the horror variety. Digital files only!
3. All films must either be in English or include English subtitles.
4. Once films are submitted, no alterations may be made unless given approval by HorrorFest programmers.
5. When final films are selected, filmmakers may be contacted for alternative film formats for programming purposes.
6. Films that have screened and or have received awards at other festivals can be submitted provided they adhere to all rules and regulations.
7. Only films that have been completed by October 2019 or newer will be accepted as part of the competition process.
8. Films with distribution may still be eligible for award consideration.
9. HorrorFest International reserves the right to accept, reject, or disqualify any submission at its discretion without a refund. That said, it should be noted that we will watch every film received in its entirety.
10. Not all films selected will necessarily be in competition but filmmakers will be notified either way.
11. HorrorFest International does not maintain ownership of any film submitted but does have the legal right to use images and as much as 30 seconds of footage for current and future festival promotional materials.
12. Film submission entry fees must be paid through the FilmFreeway portal as instructed.
13. Award winners will be revealed at the HorrorFest International at the awards ceremony at the end of the festival this October.
14. Filmmakers will be notified whether or not their film has been accepted to HorrorFest International no later than September 20th, 2023.
15. There is no 15th rule
The filmmaker releases HorrorFest International from any and all liability for damages or destruction of the entered film file. The filmmaker understands that the programmed material will be retained in a secure facility by the festival, and every effort will be taken to protect and control the viewing of this film. The festival assumes no liability whatsoever for theft, copyright violations, or piracy of the entry.
The Filmmaker accepts and understands that the festival will do everything possible to present the film in the best possible manner but the festival is not responsible for any malfunctions during screenings. All entries are carefully pre-screened prior to the public showing to assure that the films are in working order. HorrorFest International assumes no responsibility for any technical difficulties in the presentation of a film at the actual event.
HorrorFest International reserves the complete right to make changes in the program dates and times and to possibly not screen a film, despite it being selected for the festival.
It is the sole responsibility of the filmmaker to obtain the legal use of any and all copyrighted material presented in a film before submitting it to a festival. Again, HorrorFest International is not liable should a filmmaker fail to do so.
Promotional items and/or any programming materials will not be returned.
All shipping costs are the sole responsibility of the sender.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREE TO DEFEND HORRORFEST INTERNATIONAL, FMASU, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
Now, what are you waiting for? Submit a movie! The cinematic terror that is HorrorFest International awaits you!