The Film and Media Alliance of Southern Utah (FMASU) Presents...
HorrorFest International 2021!
The 19th Annual festival celebrates a spooky live in-person event this October!
Since the early 2000's, HorrorFest has been scaring the pants off of audiences in Southern Utah every October by way of classic horror films and deliciously ghoulish (and creative) homegrown efforts made by storytellers from all over the state.
In October 2020, HorrorFest broadened its horizons by way of opening up its doors to genre storytellers from all around the globe! In October 2021, that will continue!
So... If you've made a horror short or feature that you're proud of, be sure to submit it to us!
Our team of expert horror curating programmers will sift through all the terrifying goodness you can dish out and put together the ultimate lineup to play over the course of four fright-filled days in St. George, UT this October!
In addition to a lineup comprised of horror-inspired greatness from all around the world, HorrorFest International will also offer up retrospective screenings, filmmaker panels, a live script read, a costume competition, horror trivia, our legendary Guerilla Filmmaking Challenge (The Halloween Edition), and plenty of heart-stopping surprises.
Of course, it all starts with you, the fearless storyteller! Once our submission portal goes live, be sure to submit your genre-based shorts and features! No matter where you're from and no matter how terrifying or edgy your film is, we want to see what you've got!
Most importantly...We want you to scare the hell out of us because that's what horror is all about!
HorrorFest International 2021!
Wednesday, October 20th thru Saturday, October 23rd at the historic Electric Theater in beautiful St. George, UT.
Presented by the Film and Media Alliance of Southern Utah, aka FMASU!!
Submitting your film is not a guarantee of selection. All the official selections and award winners will be listed on our website www.fmasu.com/horrorfest. Trophies and/or certificates will be awarded to the best of the best in various categories. You do not need to submit your film more than once as we will place it in the category that we feel best for programming.
Awards will be chosen by a jury select made up of knowledgeable film industry professionals and experts.
*HorrorFest International Categories & Awards are subject to change.
Filmmakers! Please thoroughly read the following before submitting your film:
HORRORFEST INTERNATIONAL ENTRY RULES AND REGULATIONS:
1. All film submissions must include a submission fee and a completed online FilmFreeway entry form.
2. Feature films (50 minutes to 130 minutes) and short films (49 minutes or less) are accepted provided they're of the horror variety. Digital files only!
3. All films must either be in English or include English subtitles.
4. Once films are submitted, no alterations may be made unless given approval by HorrorFest programmers.
5. When final films are selected, filmmakers may be contacted for alternative film formats for programming purposes.
6. Films that have screened and or have received awards at other festivals can be submitted provided they adhere to all rules and regulations.
7. Only films that have been completed by October 2015 or newer will be accepted as part of the competition process.
8. Films with distribution may still be eligible for award consideration.
9. HorrorFest International reserves the right to accept, reject, or disqualify any submission at their discretion without a refund. That said, it should be noted that we will watch every film received in its entirety.
10. Not all films selected will necessarily be in competition but filmmakers will be notified either way.
11. HorrorFest International does not maintain ownership of any film submitted but does have the legal right to use images and as much as 30 seconds of footage for current and future festival promotional materials.
12. Film submission entry fees must be paid through the FilmFreeway portal as instructed.
13. Award winners will be revealed at the HorrorFest International at the awards ceremony at the end of the festival this October.
14. Filmmakers will be notified whether or not their film has been accepted to HorrorFest International no later than October 1, 2021.
15. There is no 15th rule
The filmmaker releases HorrorFest International from any and all liability for damages or destruction of the entered film file. The filmmaker understands that the programmed material will be retained in a secure facility by the festival, and every effort will be taken to protect and control the viewing of this film. The festival assumes no liability whatsoever for theft, copyright violations or piracy of the entry.
The Filmmaker accepts and understands that the festival will do everything possible to present the film in the best possible manner but the festival is not responsible for any malfunctions during screenings. All entries are carefully pre-screened prior to the public showing to assure that the films are in working order. HorrorFest International assumes no responsibility for any technical difficulties in the presentation of a film at the actual event.
HorrorFest International reserves the complete right to make changes in the program dates and times and to possibly not screen a film, despite it being selected for the festival.
It is the sole responsibility of the filmmaker to obtain the legal use of any and all copyrighted material presented in a film before submitting to a festival. Again, HorrorFest International is not liable should a filmmaker fail to do so.
Promotional items and/or any programming materials will not be returned.
All shipping costs are the sole responsibility of the sender.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREE TO DEFEND HORRORFEST INTERNATIONAL, FMASU, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
Now, what are you waiting for? Submit a movie! The cinematic terror that is HorrorFest International awaits you!
Response from festival:
Jerry! A huge thank you to you and Trysta for sharing your talent with us! Jeff Sanders and his script reading team had nothing but praise for "The Virgin" and I know we're not alone when we say we're super excited to see this screenplay leap from the page to the screen. Thanks for the kind words and again, thanks for sharing your work with us.