*** We are now accepting submissions for the 33rd edition of Cinefest Sudbury International Film Festival ***
Festival Presenter: CTV
Major Sponsor: Cineplex
Since its inception over 30 years ago (1989), Cinefest Sudbury International Film Festival continues to seek out and showcase high-calibre film programming, to passionate and enthusiastic audiences, over its 9-day festival. Recognized as a premiere film event in Canada, hosting 35,000 attendees annually, Cinefest Sudbury celebrates and promotes diverse cultural exchange and open-mindedness, with a commitment of sharing the best international and domestic programming to a broad audience of film lovers, filmmakers and industry delegates.
As part of its feature film, short, and documentary programmes, Cinefest Sudbury focuses on artistic quality and excellence, looking for films that represent diverse voices and experiences, providing a platform for film artists to relay the stories they wish to tell. Of special note, the festival hosts broadened programs spotlighting works from Indigenous and Francophone filmmakers. Cinefest Sudbury also provides filmmakers with the unique opportunity to reach a wider audience as it hosts upwards of 60 programmers annually from other smaller, domestic festivals, attending with the intention of selecting films to screen in their home communities, once released.
As of 2020, Cinefest offers both virtual and in-person film programming; submitted films may be considered to stream virtually via Eventive.
In 2021, cash prizes will be awarded in the following categories:
• Outstanding Canadian Feature
• Outstanding World Feature
• Outstanding Short
Each year, Cinefest Sudbury also invites audiences to have their say in the following categories:
• Audience Choice Award: Feature Film
• Audience Choice Award: Documentary
• Audience Choice Award: Short
Each film submission will be pre-screened by Cinefest Sudbury International Film Festival’s screening committee to determine which films will be screened during the Festival. Not all submissions will be programmed.
For programming consideration, Cinefest Sudbury accepts video links only. Please read through the eligibility requirements below before proceeding.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION
1. Films are selected on the basis of achievement in form and content;
2. Films must have been completed in 2020 or 2021;
3. Films that have been previously submitted, but not programmed, are permitted to re-submit;
4. Films may be a work-in-progress (for submissions purposes only);
5. Submissions that have been made available widely to the public over the: internet (YouTube, iTunes, Vimeo, etc.), television, or that have screened within a 350 kilometre radius of the City of Greater Sudbury are not eligible. Filmmakers are encouraged to contact the Festival if they are unsure if this eligibility rule applies to them;
6. The Festival presentation format is DCP (jpeg2000mxf) for in-theatre screenings, and streaming through Eventive for digital screenings. Eventive recommended specs are an H.264 video file encoded at 10Mbps;
7. All selected films must be made available to screen by September 1, 2021;
8. Films must be in their original language with English subtitles (if necessary);
9. All available press materials must be shipped to Cinefest Sudbury upon notification of selection;
10. If the film was shot in part or in whole in Northern Ontario, and/or if a member of the cast and/or crew resides or is from Northern Ontario, please provide information relating to the location and duration of the shoot, and/or the name of the person residing in or from Northern Ontario, as well as their role within the production.
Upon acceptance into the Festival, the scheduling of screening dates, times, and locations is the sole responsibility of Cinefest Sudbury.
In the instance of a lost or damaged DCP, Cinefest Sudbury will compensate only for the cost of creating a new DCP. Cinefest Sudbury assumes responsibility for the print from the time of delivery to the time at which a print is rendered to a shipping agent.
1. For promotional purposes, Cinefest Sudbury is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival;
2. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening and understands/accepts these requirements and regulations;
3. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Cinefest Sudbury from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including, but not limited to, attorney’s fees and costs of the court), which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of/damage to the screening videos entered.