Welcoming filmmakers for over two decades to share their stories with our community in the beautiful Delaware River town of Milford in the PA/NY/NJ tri-state area. Our mission is to inspire and celebrate independent film, encouraging artistic expression and discussion. We offer filmmakers the opportunity to speak about their films and interact with audiences during Q&A sessions at the historic Milford Theater and Film Salon.
The festival takes places this year on October 13, 14 & 15 with Opening Night on Friday, films all day Saturday and Sunday, with an awards ceremony at the Milford Theater on Sunday.
SPOTLIGHT AWARD CATEGORIES
Regional Spotlight Award
*Given to a local filmmaker highlighting the region in and around Milford, PA.
Casting Spotlight Award
*Given for best acting ensemble.
Animation Spotlight Award
*Given for exceptional work in animation.
Art Of Music Spotlight Award
*Given to a film focusing on the music arts.
THE FUTURE OF FILMMAKING
Best Student Film
*Chosen from a special presentation of student films featured at our film salon.
Young Filmmaker Award
*Given for remarkable work by a young artist.
TRADITIONAL AWARD CATEGORIES
Best Main Stage Film
Best Short Film
Best International Short Film
Best Documentary Short Film
1.Submissions must be accompanied by the applicable submission fee PER ENTRY and a completed online entry form. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
2. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via a participating submission platform (FilmFreeway), a password-protected streaming URL, or on BluRay DVD with NTSC formatting (please test before sending).
3. Films must be available for screening during the Black Bear Film Festival, October 13, 14 & 15, 2023
4. Films that have been submitted to BBFF in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted, provided they are eligible according to all of BBFF’s current rules.
5. Films with US distribution (obtained prior to being selected for BBFF screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for a special screening. Selection for screening will be determined no later than one month before the festival.
6. BBFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. BBFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by BBFF in connection with the dispute.
BBFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by BBFF or by its volunteers.