The LA SKINS FEST, a Native American Film Festival, is now accepting film submissions for its 11th annual film festival taking place November 14th-19th, 2017 at the TCL Chinese Theater in Hollywood, CA.
The LA SKINS FEST annually showcases works by independent Native American filmmakers that provide insight into the beauty, complexity and diversity of Native American people. The festival offers filmmakers an opportunity to show their work so audiences of all ages and interests can enrich their experience and understanding of Native American cultures.
Every year, the LA SKINS FEST premiers several Native American movies that feature Q&A’s with filmmakers, panel discussions with industry professionals, and after-parties with Native American musicians. Our annual award ceremony honors the great achievements in Native American filmmaking and provides monetary prizes as well as distribution to new platforms.
In the past eleven years, the LA SKINS FEST has garnered support from several art foundations, entertainment corporations, and Native American tribes. NBCUniversal, CBS Entertainment Development, CBS Corp, HBO, ABC/DISNEY, the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians, Lionsgate, A&E Networks, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, Department of Cultural Affairs and the Ramona Band of Mission Indians are valuable supporters. In 2017, the National Endowment for the Arts and Turner Broadcasting Systems joined the LA SKINS FEST to provide great opportunities for the festival.
The LA SKINS FEST will celebrate filmmakers whose original works is distinguished in their category. A pre-screening committee will select four finalists in each category after viewing all selected to be part of the competition. Awards will be given the following categories:
• Best Narrative
• Best Documentary
• Best Narrative Short
• Best Documentary Short
• Best Animation
• Audience Award
• Best Emerging Filmmaker
Films accepted in the festival will be eligible for competition, distribution opportunities and cash award prices. In addition, winners of the Best Feature and Best Short Awards will receive an InkTip Script Listing to promote themselves and their scripts to InkTip’s entire network of producers, managers, and agents.
1) Entries must be by/or have a Native American/First Nation/Indigenous artist involved in the project (Please include tribal affiliation).
2) We accept films made by non-Native American filmmaker but the films must be Native American themed.
3) Films must not be available on the Internet or have been broadcast nationally on cable or satellite television prior to the festival screening.
4) Works must be made within the past two years
5) Films in languages other than English with English subtitles will be accepted for consideration.
6) Films must not have other screenings scheduled in Los Angeles during November 2016.
Filmmakers seeking a fee waiver are welcome to contact us. LASF will review the requests and grant waiver opportunities based on need, professionalism, and filmmaker track record. Please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org