North East Young Filmmakers Awards is dedicated to celebrating the best of young film talent based in Northumberland, County Durham, Tyne and Wear and Teesside.
The ceremony will be held in the main auditorium of The Customs House, South Tyneside's premiere arts and culture venue, with selected films screened in their entirety.
2018's awards ceremony was hosted by stand up comedian Lee Kyle with a judging panel of James Coyle (London based cinematographer), Lesley Anne Rose (North East based animator) and our 2017 Young Filmmaker Winner, Lauren McCaughey.
This year there will be three categories; Under 12, 13-17 and 18-25. There will be a runner up and a winner in each category. The grand prize of North East Young Filmmaker 2019 will be awarded to the director of the best film submitted in the 18-25 age category.
Each award winner will be presented with a trophy and framed certificate, while the North East Young Filmmaker 2019 will be presented with a trophy, framed certificate and a special prize that will be announced shortly.
General Submission Guidance
1. The submission fee is non-refundable and non-negotiable.
2. The North East Young Filmmakers Awards is open to submissions from filmmakers currently based in the North East of England (Northumberland, County Durham, Tyne and Wear and Teesside).
3. Only films completed after April 1st 2018 are eligible for submission.
4. Films must not exceed the 10 minutes in length, inclusive of titles and credits.
5. The film's director, writer, cinematographer and sound designer must all be aged between 10–25 years old, with at least 75% of the production team also within this age category.
6. All submissions must state the age category they would like to be considered for in order to be eligible.
7. There is a limit of one submission per director. However, filmmakers may submit more than one film they have worked on outside of the directing role.
8. Filmmakers confirm that they have obtained the necessary permissions for any copyright-protected material used by submitting their film. The Customs House will not be held where the appropriate rights or permissions have not been obtained.
9. The North East Young Filmmakers Awards will be presented on Thursday 30th May 2019 at The Customs House as part of The Takeover youth arts festival.
The North East Young Filmmakers Awards is intended as a cultural and educational event for young people. As such, there are a number of restrictions placed on the content of films accepted to the competition.
Films that are entered in the Under 12 category must be in keeping with the Universal rating which is classed as " suitable for all."
Films that are entered in the 13-17 category must be in keeping with the 12A rating which is classed as suitable for anyone over the age of 12 (and under 12's who are accompanied with an adult).
All submissions to the 18-25 category can be in keeping with the 18 rating classification.
1. The deadline for submissions is midnight on Friday 12th April 2019.
2. Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway at filmfreeway.com/festival/NEYFA.
3. When your film is received, you will be sent a submission form to complete. This must be returned by Sunday 21st April 2019.
Notification of Acceptance and Rejection
1. Films submitted are not guaranteed to be shown at the award ceremony.
2. Filmmakers selected to be part of the awards ceremony will be notified via email no later than midnight on Friday 26th April 2019, with the booking process for the awards show outlined.