North East Young Filmmakers Awards is dedicated to celebrating the best of young film talent based in Northumberland, County Durham, Tyne and Wear and Teesside.
The festival is open to anyone 25 and under living in the North East of England.
The ceremony will be held on May 28th 2020 in the main auditorium of The Customs House, South Tyneside's premiere arts and culture venue, with selected films screened in their entirety.
2019's awards ceremony was hosted by stand up comedian Davey Hopper with a judging panel of Jo Hislop, Chris Allan and Wycombe Media.
This year there will be two categories; 12-17 year olds and 18-25.
There are 3 prizes in each category this year:
Takeover Team Choice
And the grand prize of North East Young Filmmaker 2020 will be awarded to the director of the best film submitted in the 18-25 age category.
Each award winner will be presented with a trophy and framed certificate, while the North East Young Filmmaker 2020 will be presented with a trophy, framed certificate and a special prize or a career development opportunity based on the winner's interests.
General Submission Guidance
1. The submission fee is non-refundable and non-negotiable.
2. The North East Young Filmmakers Awards is open to submissions from filmmakers currently based in the North East of England (Northumberland, County Durham, Tyne and Wear and Teesside).
3. Only films completed after April 1st 2019 are eligible for submission.
4. Films must not exceed the 10 minutes in length, inclusive of titles and credits.
5. The film's director, writer, cinematographer and sound designer must all be aged between 10–25 years old, with at least 75% of the production team also within this age category.
6. All submissions must state the age category they would like to be considered for in order to be eligible.
7. There is a limit of one submission per director. However, filmmakers may submit more than one film they have worked on outside of the directing role.
8. Filmmakers confirm that they have obtained the necessary permissions for any copyright-protected material used by submitting their film. The Customs House will not be held where the appropriate rights or permissions have not been obtained.
9. The North East Young Filmmakers Awards will be presented on Thursday 29th May 2020 at The Customs House as part of The Takeover youth arts festival.
The North East Young Filmmakers Awards is intended as a cultural and educational event for young people. As such, there are a number of restrictions placed on the content of films accepted to the competition.
Films that are entered in the 12-17 category must be in keeping with the 12A rating which is classed as suitable for anyone over the age of 12 (and under 12's who are accompanied with an adult).
All submissions to the 18-25 category can be in keeping with the 18 rating classification.
1. The deadline for submissions is midnight on Sunday 12th April 2020.
2. Films must be submitted via FilmFreeway at filmfreeway.com/festival/NEYFA.
3. When your film is received, you will be sent a submission form to complete. This must be returned by Monday 27th April 2020.
Notification of Acceptance and Rejection
1. Films submitted are not guaranteed to be shown at the award ceremony.
2. Filmmakers selected to be part of the awards ceremony will be notified via email no later than midnight on Friday 1st May 2020, with the booking process for the awards show outlined.