The Hollywood Connection Short Screenplay Contest will effort to bring a little bit of Hollywood to the best short screenplay entered into our contest. Whether the winning writer lives in a tiny town or a big city, we hope to connect them with a team that they wouldn't have access to otherwise.
The winner of our competition will have their short screenplay produced... that's nothing new as a few other competitions offer that to their winners as well. Our twist is that we'll be offering up the talents of a few known actors to be IN the film that we produce from the winning script! For our 2nd edition of our competition we have Milena Govich (Law & Order, Rescue Me, Finding Carter) and Dean Cameron (Summer School, Straight Outta Compton, Ski School) as our featured talent. Milena will also be directing the winning short screenplay!
The Hollywood Connection Short Screenplay Competition/HCSSC was borne from the experience the competition's creator had writing a series of short screenplays that would feature himself along with three of his friends. These friends, however, just happened to be actors who are known quantities having appeared in critically acclaimed TV shows and films. They include Charles Baker (Breaking Bad), Charles Halford (True Detective), and Patrick Sane (Breaking Bad), all of whom are involved with the HCSSC. The experience of creating characters for these specific actors was an exciting one and the HCSSC was created so that other writers, regardless of their level of experience or lack of connections, could experience that excitement as well.
Imagine living on a huge ranch in Montana, a tiny apartment in Manhattan, a shared flat in London or a bungalow right here in Los Angeles and having the chance to write for an actor you love! That's what sets the HCSSC apart from other competitions that produce the winning short... recognizable talent available and ready to be in the winning short. We already have a circle of friends who want to participate and hope that our circle will only grow bigger with each successive competition. But this will only work if you get busy writing and enter your script.
What our winning winner wins!
1) Their script gets produced.
2) They earn money for being the film's writer (call it a cash prize if you wish). The prize is based on the SAG day rate for our actors which is $125 for their short film contract.
3) They are named a producer on the film, giving them the right as writer/producer to enter the film in whatever festivals they wish.
4) The film is entered into a few partner festivals free of charge. As well, HCSSC will enter the film in a few festivals and pay the entry fee for those festivals.
5) There is potential that there will be a private screening in Los Angeles of the film once done. If the budget for the winning short allows, an airline ticket will be purchased for the writer to be present at the screening so that cast and crew can have the privilege of meeting our winner.
1) Screenplay can be no longer than 12 pages using traditional screenplay formatting. For an example of how screenplays are formatted, please visit this link: http://www.screenplaydb.com/film/all
(As it was for our inaugural competition, our page count limit for our 2nd competition is 12 [twelve]. Depending on the number of entries and resulting budget from said entries, that may increase in the future.)
2) Writer can not have been paid as a writer in the past 12 months. This includes feature films, short films, and television. Winning another competition does not count... we're talking being paid to work on a TV show, having a feature/short film optioned or purchased, or being hired to write a feature film, television episode/pilot. Prefer a number? Let's set the limit at $2,500... if you've made more than $2,500 writing in the past year, congrats! Please step aside and let someone else grab the spotlight for a moment.
3) Scripts must be in PDF format and submitted electronically via filmfreeway.com to be eligible. PDF and entry fee must be received before posted and well-publicized deadline.
4) You can enter as many scripts as you want. Scripts can have been written at any time... we don't care. We want the best you have to offer. But hey... we're giving you a chance to write for some known talent; try to craft something for them!
5) Entry fees are non-refundable.
6) Script can be written by a single writer, a team, or a group... whatever gets it there. All writers must be credited.
7) Script cannot be under any obligation to be produced by another party. If the script had priorly been sold or optioned, the rights must have reverted back to the writer(s) before entry.
8) The script that is entered is what it is... no updates or changes allowed. If you've rewritten it and think the new draft is amazing, enter that one as well. They'll compete against each other.
9) Fan fiction, adaptations, and any other lifting of stories, characters and so on is not allowed. If you own the rights to say, "Star Wars" (you don't), feel free to write a short based on that, but be prepared to show proof that you own those rights (you don't).
10) Writers who enter, but do not win, retain ownership of their scripts.
11) The winner will be paid a fee as part of winning. This is not a purchase, this is payment for having been the writer and a prize for being the winner. The winner still owns the rights to their script. Should the short be made into a feature or TV show in the future, the writer will negotiate in good faith, that the HCSSC gets some sort of financial kiss from the purchasing party. We're not asking for a piece of it... just asking that you return some help to those who have helped you. This is not, however, an obligation... you and/or the purchasing party can choose to disregard our having helped get your project some notice. It'd be really uncool and we'd probably give you the finger, but you can do that.
12) Writers must be 18 years or older. This is to keep us from being sued by parents who have very bright kids who write screenplays, have stolen their parent's credit card, and entered fifteen screenplays. Kids, don't do that. And parents, please don't sue us, we have no money and had no idea that you were keeping your credit card in your sock drawer where your incredibly clever kids could find it.
13) Just because your screenplay does not win that does not give you the right to sue us. By entering this reasonably priced competition, you waive your right to sue us for any reason whatsoever; now and forever. Your entry, again, waives your right to sue us. This will save us both heartache and money that does not even exist on our end. Beyond this flimsy waiver, when you enter via filmfreeway.com we're given a whole bunch of rights that prevent you from suing us. So, yeah... don't be that litigious person; nobody likes that person.
DISCLAIMER AND TERMS & CONDITIONS
The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Four Creative who owns the Hollywood Connection Short Screenplay Competition. While we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.
In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.
Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of Four Creative/Hollywood Connection Short Screenplay Competition (to be referred to as HCSSC moving forward). We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.
Every effort is made to keep the website up and running smoothly. However, Four Creative HCSSC takes no responsibility for, and will not be liable for, the website being temporarily unavailable due to technical issues beyond our control. Besides... we don't even take entries on this site. There's just information. If our site is down, that will not keep you from entering the contest in a timely way via filmfreeway.com
Collection of Information
We collect zero info. That's all done through FilmFreeway.com, so we aren't liable for having to keep any of your personal information out of the public domain as we, personally, do not have it! Huzzah!
Writers Terms & Conditions
We will not utilize any excerpt from your submitted screenplay for any purpose without first clearing it with you. The individual or group submitting the screenplay retains ownership of their script whether they win or not. However, by submitting your screenplay to this competition you agree that, if your screenplay is selected by HCSSC for production and you OK said production, that you grant to HCSSC a NON-exclusive license to use, display, and exhibit your name, your project's name, trade names, trademarks, service marks, copyrights, still images, moving images, audio sounds, and any other random elements that are created by production of your screenplay. HCSSC may also use excerpts from the produced films for promotion, to promote, market and advertise the competition in any way we wish in perpetuity. You also authorize HCSSC to place your images and synopsis on our website, YouTube channel, Vimeo Channel, Twitter account, Snapchat account, Facebook page and any other social media that becomes relevant moving forward.
The individual or company submitting the screenplay shall indemnify and hold harmless the HCSSC from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screenplay items entered. The individual or company submitting the screenplay hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the screenplay for production, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
Non-performance of any party shall be excused to the extent that performance is rendered impossible by strike, fire, flood, earthquakes, war, governmental acts or orders or restrictions, acts of God, physically defective product/equipment, or any other reason where failure to perform is beyond reasonable control of, and not caused by the negligence of, the non-performing party.
Should the HCSSC's promoted talent not be able to appear in the produced short, every effort will be made to replace them with an actor with comparable film/TV credits. Should that not happen, the individual or company submitting the screenplay for production shall indemnify and hold harmless HCSSC. The film will still be produced if the writer wishes to move forward with different, and not the same "level" of, actor. If not, the writer can choose to take the $125 winner's fee and be listed as a winner on the website with production of the film never to happen. The film budget set aside will be used to produce the next best screenplay entered should the writer of that screenplay agree to said production. That winner will win all that original winner will have won, but have a film budget that is $125 less than original winner. Should the runner up choose not to have their film produced, we'll pay them $125 as well and then just go produce something that we wrote. Otherwise, we'll end up giving out our entire film budget $125 at a time. That's not what this contest was intended to do.
Neither party shall owe any liability to the other party arising under this agreement for any indirect, special, punitive or consequential damages, including, without limitation, loss of profit or business opportunities, except as expressly set forth herein. Neither party makes (and each party hereby specifically disclaims) any, representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding the services contemplated by this agreement, including any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, implied warranties arising from a course of dealing or course of performance or any warranties relating to title or non-infringement of intellectual property. Neither party makes any representation, warranty or assurance concerning any minimum or maximum number of viewers or screenings or celebrities or special guests or events.
Except for payments due collected by HCSSC as stated herein or on HCSSC website(s), HCSSC liability for any damages caused to You as a result of performance or non-performance or damage under, or not under, this agreement shall be limited in all circumstances to an amount no greater than one U.S. dollar ($1.00).
HCSSC attempts to remain servicing 24/7. However, acts of God do happen. In any situation, if anything negative or unwanted happens involving HCSSC, HCSSC will not be expected by You to be liable or responsible for the damage in anyway whatsoever, regardless of how severe the damage. Further, HCSSC will not be expected by You to be liable or responsible in anyway whatsoever should HCSSC or the HCSSC website not be accessible. Furthermore, HCSSC will not be expected by You to be liable or responsible in anyway whatsoever for any items that are stolen while either in, or not in, the possession of HCSSC, in perpetuity.
By entering HCSSC, all entrants agree to the complete contents of the HCSSC rules and policies found on the official HCSSC website at http://www.shortscreenplay.com/rules.html. All entrants release and agree to hold HCSSC and/or all other HCSSC related entities harmless from and against any and all injuries, rights, damages, losses, claims and actions of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from HCSSC or participation in HCSSC and any HCSSC related activity, in perpetuity. All entrants release and waive any claims with regard to HCSSC and agree to hold harmless HCSSC and/or all HCSSC related entities from and against any and all claims of any kind that are or could be asserted with respect to any festival related matter whatsoever, in perpetuity. All entrants further agree to indemnify, defend against and agree to hold harmless HCSSC and/or all other HCSSC related entities from any and all liabilities, damage, costs and/or fees incurred in defending against any third party claim(s) or threat(s) of claim(s) asserted against HCSSC and/or all other HCSSC related entities arising from any entrant(s) participation in or conduct associated with HCSSC, in perpetuity.
All HCSSC rules and policies are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the state of California, United States of America, without regards to its principles of conflicts of law, in perpetuity. For any dispute not subject to arbitration, entrant agrees to personal jurisdiction by the federal and state courts located in California, United States of America, and waives any jurisdictional, venue, or inconvenient forum objections to such courts. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby irrevocably waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, and/or any other damages, including attorney fees, other than participant(s) actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with participating in the competition which should only be the entry fee itself), and entrant further irrevocably waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased, in perpetuity. All federal, state, and local laws and regulations apply. All taxes on or connected with any prize and the reporting consequences thereof, are the sole and exclusive responsibility of respective winners.
All information by HCSSC, whether publicly posted or not, is subject to change without prior notice. All competition decisions will be made by HCSSC and all HCSSC decisions are final.
Thank You and Good Luck from Four Creative and the Hollywood Connection Short Screenplay Competition.
* - Hollywood Short Screenplay Competition/HCSSC is a contest run by Four Creative which is a company owned by John Venable. Terms and Conditions referring to Hollywood Short Screenplay Competition or HCSSC are also referring to Four Creative and John Venable.
Response from festival:
Thanks, Kristy! Glad that you found us and took the time to enter. We have the same hopes... that we'll continue to grow year after year and reach a wider group of writers who'll enter. We may have to take some time off to find out how we can do that... other people and companies who we can partner with. So thanks for helping us out to that end with your kind words here on Film Freeway... they're very much appreciated! Oh, and congrats again on the Honorable Mention!