FOTOGENIA, INTERNATIONAL FILM POETRY & DIVERGENT NARRATIVES FESTIVAL, VOL. 3 promotes a space with an alternative conception of films, a celebration of experimentation and avant-garde framework, the love of curiosity and research of the seventh Art. Everyone is invited, taking into consideration the disruptive nature of the selected works.
FOTOGENIA is a Film Festival held in the heart of Mexico City that celebrates cinema itself, experimentation with its nature, formats, genres, narrative and all the freedom to explore the audiovisual image without restriction. It joins the Festivals of this type around the world such as the Film & Video Poetry Symposium that takes place in Moscow, Los Angeles and New York, Rencontres Internationales that takes place in Paris and Berlin, and Le FIFA, Festival International du Film Sur l'Art in Montreal, Canada.
If you are an audiovisual maker interested in provoking the cinematographic image through the exploration of the frontiers and limits of film narrative, genre, format, and the nature of film itself, in order to converse with the viewers in innovative and critical ways to ignite a confrontation between reality and cinematic phenomenon, this is your place to exhibit your passion. We receive film poetry, avant-garde films, video art & experimental cinema.
We welcome you to watch films in another way!
Open your gaze!
El FESTIVAL FOTOGENIA, FESTIVAL INTERNACIONAL DE CINE POESÍA Y NARRATIVAS DIVERGENTES, VOL.3, promueve un espacio para la concepción alternativa del cine dentro de un marco de celebración, experimentación y vanguardia sobre el amor, la curiosidad y la investigación del séptimo arte, al que todo público está invitado, tomando en cuenta la naturaleza disruptiva de las obras presentadas.
FOTOGENIA es un Festival de Cine que se lleva a cabo en la Ciudad de México y celebra el cine en sí mismo, la experimentación con su naturaleza, los formatos, sus géneros, su narrativa y toda la libertad para explorar la imagen audiovisual sin restricción. Se suma a los Festivales de este tipo que hay alrededor del mundo como el Film & Video Poetry Simposium que se lleva a cabo en Moscú, Los Ángeles y Nueva York; Rencontres Internationales que se lleva a cabo en París y Berlín y FIFA, Festival Internacional de Cine y Arte que se celebra en Montreal, Canada.
Si eres un realizador(a) audiovisual con interés en provocar a la imagen cinematográfica mediante la exploración de las fronteras y límites de su narrativa, géneros, soportes y la naturaleza propia del filme, para dialogar con el espectador de maneras novedosas y críticas y generar así una confrontación entre la realidad y el fenómeno cinematográfico, éste es tu lugar de exposición. Recibimos obras de cine poesía, avant-garde, video arte y cine experimental.
¡Bienvenidos a mirar el cine de forma distinta!
¡Abre tu mirada!
1) "DELLUC / AVANT-GARDE" USD $1000 Cash Prize
2) "SPECIAL MENTION EPSTEIN / Avant -garde" USD $500 Cash Prize
3) "REVELATION AWARD" Gifts from our sponsors
1. The topic to explore in this Third Edition is THE FUTURE. How do you think about it in terms of mind projection of events? All technological, sci-fi, utopian, and dystopian futures are welcome, but in terms of mental projection, the vision of the future is not limited to this, since the future represents imagination; therefore, what do you imagine it will happen in form of dreams, passions, fears, desires? We want to explore THE FUTURE as a CONTINUOS SPACE-TIME OF EVENTS. NO MATTER WHEN YOU'VE IMAGINED & MADE YOUR FILM!
2. The Festival is open to all international short films, and for the first time to all international feature films, regardless of its year of production, which have been created for the Festival, or if you consider that your work explores in a substantial way the proposed topic for this year’s edition.
3. The duration of the short films should be between 1-29 minutes with credits. For feature films, we consider a length of 30 minutes or more.
4. Any format is accepted (16mm, 35mm, digital, mobile) in accord to the experimentation of the cinematics’ substance; however, the final projection copy must be in Full HD digital format (1920 x 1080), QuickTime .mov or .MPEG, compression H.264.
5. Any genre and technique can be used (animation, fiction, documentary, mockumentary, a mix between genres), in the spirit of unrestricted experimentation within non-narrative, poetry logic, hypertextual logic, or thought logic, in order to defy poetry and narrative frontiers.
6. To be considered you must submit your material through FilmFreeway.
7. Each director can send a maximum of 3 works.
8. If the original language is different from Spanish or English, the film must be subtitled in Spanish or English.
9. The regular deadline for submission is Tuesday, August 31st, 2021. The extended deadline closes on Monday, September 20th. We won’t accept any work after this deadline.
10. A Selection Committee comprised of international specialists will review all of the works and it will select those that are best suited to the Festival’s theme and philosophy.
11. The Official Selection will be announced on our official website and Social Media. The Festival will contact all selected directors to arrange the final delivery of their works in the best HD projection quality and their Press Kit. It is your responsibility to send your material on the scheduled dates in order to guarantee your inclusion in the programme.
12. The selected directors who live in Mexico City, need to commit to attending, on the day that the Festival takes place, to be part of a Q&A round, in order to discuss their works with the spectators. Those directors who live outside Mexico City or the country can participate with a video-presentation.
13. The selected films will be uploaded to a digital platform that will integrate the digital archive of the Festival. FOTOGENIA CHANNEL preserves & promotes the selected works and their directors, as the historical heritage and memory of the Festival for the world.
14. As part of the tasks of FESTIVAL FOTOGENIA to provide an exhibition space for filmmakers from all over the world, the selected works will be part of an itinerant showcase throughout the year, in order to expand their projection to low-income communities and other public spaces once the Festival is over. This promotion of the works will depend on the agreements that the Festival could arrange with other Institutions during the next months after the official dates of FOTOGENIA have passed. The directors will be notified and invited to these possible exhibitions.
15. A Jury comprised of International Film Specialists will grant the Award: “Delluc / Avant-garde” to the work that they consider worthy of the Festival Spirit, with a cash prize of USD 1000. Besides, the Jury will grant a Special Mention: “Epstein /Avant-garde” to the work that they consider worthy of it with a cash prize of USD 500 and the "Amero Revelation Award" to an amazing novel director.
16. The location of the Festival will be announced during the next months; it’ll be a Film Center in Mexico City in which the selected short films will be projected + a special evening party (There will be different ticket access to these Festival Events). Due to the pandemic, the Festival will consider online screenings.
17. By sending your material, you accept the present rules & regulations hereby described.
18. Any unforeseen situation in these regulations will be solved by FOTOGENIA Festival Organization at its solely discretion.
Response from festival:
Thank you very much for your lovely words, we really appreciate them! It's an honour to screen Mimetic Desires as a Premiere in Mexico! We really love your film!
Thank you very much for being part of Volume 3, Fotogenia 2021! Can't wait to see your next film!
¡Un abrazo desde México para el equipo de artistas en Indonesia y Noruega!