The Lisbon CineFest brings together the most original storytellers and the most curious audiences for its annual event. The concept was born out of a desire to create a welcoming space where international artists and the Portuguese industry can meet up and enrich each other.
Our mission is to showcase indie filmmakers all over the world and the competition is open to every production regardless of budget and experience. We welcome films which seek out new cinematic languages and are capable of triggering discussions about urgent topics.
Apart from the screenings, filmmakers are invited to share their experiences and thoughts in Q&A sessions based on perspectives raised by the screenings. Also, the event is jam-packed with roundtables, networking and interviews, and the audience is an integral part of the whole process, with a free give and take of opinions.
The LCF is a non-profit organization. Fees from submissions help us keep the quality standards of both the selection panel and event.
Our competition is run monthly and has the following structure:
1-Each month, we nominate the best films for each category.
2- Each of the monthly nominations of each category competes for the annual LCF trophies. The annual winners are announced at the notification date and are invited for the annual event.
The winners of each category are invited to attend the annual screenings and receive their trophy in the following categories:
-Best Feature Film
-Best Narrative Short Film
-Best Short Documentary Film
-Best Short Experimental Film
-Best Music Video
-Best Student Production
-Best Low-budget Film
-Best Trailer/ Media Promotion
-BTS footage of winner films, on-camera interviews and roundtables with filmmakers will be published on all festival platforms.
-The 'Student Production' category winner will be part of a mentoring programme with a professional Director.
-Industry professionals will consider winner films to further distribution at the event.
-All monthly nominations of each category are promoted through our platforms.
Please check the following conditions before submitting your work:
1. The Filmmaker grants to the LCF a non-exclusive limited licence which permits the festival to screen the film to the public for the following purposes:
a. As part of the 2021 Festival.
b. At any other activity conducted or sponsored by the LCF for a period of 12 months after the conclusion of the 2021 competition.
These activities may include, but are not limited to:
i. Schools program events
ii. Educational seminars
iv. Community outreach events
v. Touring Festivals
2. All the films must include English subtitles (unless the spoken language is English or Portuguese).
3. For student fees, it is mandatory the student status evidence (e.g copy of student card included in the project).
4. The LCF can use the trailer/teaser/film poster/stills or BTS of any submitted film for promotional purposes. For the winner projects, the authors undertake to provide in a timely manner the necessary elements to the organizers for the preparation of the event (, crew photos, bio, etc.)
5. Entry fees are non-refundable unless they are covered by the submission protection option, according to the FilmFreeway terms.
6. The submitter cannot withdraw the film from the annual event after winning an annual award.
7. Productions completed in 2020/2021 and have not been released in Portugal yet will receive priority.
8) The Filmmaker is solely responsible for the content of the film and agrees that the film does not contain any content that may be construed as: libellous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, sexually, racially or ethnically offensive, intimidating, threatening, hateful, discriminatory or abusive.
By submitting your work, you agree that you meet the following points:
1. There are no legal actions, claims, demands or proceedings against the Film or the Filmmaker in respect of the Film.
2. The Filmmaker is the sole owner of the underlying project or has consent from all the respective film's owners.
3. All performers in the film have unconditionally consented by writing to the use of their performances in the Film.