The LCF was born out of a desire to create a welcoming space where international filmmakers and the Lisbon film industry can enrich each other.
We provide and preserve the space for independent artists to present original new work. With its development programs for film and new media artists, we seek to advance the impact of independent storytelling throughout the world. As a non-profit organization, fees from submissions help us keep the quality standards of both the selection panel and partnerships.
Comprised of various backgrounds, interests, and talents, we accept films in every genre, on any topic, from every country worldwide. We do not disqualify any films based on premiere status or date of completion, and we don't look at the festival screening history of the submitted films or the directors' previous works.
Jury Award for Narrative Feature
Jury Award for Documentary
Jury Award for Narrative Short
Jury Award for Animation
Jury Award for Experimental
Jury Award for Music Video
Jury Award for Low-Budget
Jury Award for 1st Timers
-Peer Award: selected directors pick their favourite film, with a spot in the next year's jury as the prize.
-The Screenplay competition winners will have their scripts recommended to entertainment companies and an opportunity to pitch them to independent international producers.
-Our partner industry professionals will consider winner films for further online distribution.
-All selected films from each category will be promoted through our platforms.
Please check the following conditions before submitting your work:
1. The Filmmaker grants to the LCF a non-exclusive limited licence which permits the festival to screen the film to the public for the following purposes:
a. As part of the 2022 Festival.
b. At any other activity conducted or sponsored by the LCF for a period of 12 months after the conclusion of the 2022 competition.
These activities may include, but are not limited to:
i. Schools program events
ii. Educational seminars
iv. Community outreach events
v. Touring Festivals
2. All the films must include English subtitles (unless the spoken language is English or Portuguese).
3. For student fees, it is mandatory the student status evidence (e.g copy of student card included in the project).
4. The LCF can use the trailer/teaser/film poster/stills or BTS of any submitted film for promotional purposes. For the winner projects, the authors undertake to provide in a timely manner the necessary elements to the organizers for the preparation of the event (, crew photos, bio, etc.)
5. Entry fees are non-refundable unless they are covered by the submission protection option, according to the FilmFreeway terms.
6. The submitter cannot withdraw the film from the annual event after winning an annual award.
7. Productions completed in 2021/2022 and have not been released in Portugal yet will receive priority.
8) The Filmmaker is solely responsible for the content of the film and agrees that the film does not contain any content that may be construed as: libellous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, sexually, racially or ethnically offensive, intimidating, threatening, hateful, discriminatory or abusive.
By submitting your work, you agree that you meet the following points:
1. There are no legal actions, claims, demands or proceedings against the Film or the Filmmaker in respect of the Film.
2. The Filmmaker is the sole owner of the underlying project or has consent from all the respective film's owners.
3. All performers in the film have unconditionally consented by writing to the use of their performances in the Film.