The flagship event of the Arab Film and Media Institute, the Arab Film Festival is the longest running independent festival of its kind in North America. Launched in 1996, the festival’s mission is to present the best of contemporary films that illuminate the richness of Arab culture through authentic narratives and images, providing insight into the beauty and complexity of the Arab world.
The festival also offers special programming to local audiences, and unprecedented access to the diversity and range of authentic Arab experiences. The festival has gained an international reputation for excellence and offers its audiences access to media that reflects the lives of under-represented and provocative themes and groups on a cultural and societal level.
Dates for the 25th anniversary edition of the Arab Film Festival is still pending due local restrictions, but will be sometime between October and December, 2021. We expect a hybrid model of limited in-person screenings in San Francisco and Los Angeles, with virtual offerings available nationally.
***Submissions will also qualify for the Arab Film Fest Collab as well as InFocus: Arab Cinema ***
We can’t wait to watch your films!
The Arab Film Awards* celebrate filmmakers whose original works are distinguished in their respective categories. A pre-screening committee will select four finalists in each category after reviewing all films in the official selection (all films in the official selection are considered "in competition"). A jury made up of important members of the film and academic communities will select the outstanding works from the shortlist and bestow the Award Of Recognition to directors in the following categories:
-Best Narrative Feature
-Best Documentary Feature
-Best Short Film
-Best Debut Feature
General submission guidelines
1. Films must have been produced between 2019 and 2021
2. All non-English language films must be subtitled in English
3. Fill out the submission form on FilmFreeway (incomplete entries will not be considered)
4. All categories of film are accepted: feature, short format, narrative, documentary, hybrid, experimental, animation, etc.
5. Insert screeners on the FilmFreeway submission form via password protected links
6. Films must be from and/or about the Arab World and/or about Arab persons living in the Arab World or abroad
7. Rough cuts or works-in-progress are accepted and reviewed by the programming committee; however, filmmakers are urged to submit as close to the final cut as possible
After you submit your film
Entrants will be notified of the Festival’s decision on or before September 3, 2021. In the event of acceptance, entrants will receive an official welcome letter verifying selection status.
Submission fees (all fees can be paid via FilmFreeway)
Late features: $40
Late shorts: $25