--- We are currently accepting submissions for our second edition. Our first edition was held on February 5, 2019. ---
Sydney Short Film Festival is an independent film festival that puts the spotlight on short films – a category that unfortunately doesn’t get the mainstream attention it deserves. We accept submissions from around the world and encourage you to take the trip down-under to celebrate with your film and contribution with us.
Our judging panel consists of experienced filmmakers who themselves have gone through the same path of creating and maintaining a film production.
Our 2nd edition will take place in February 2020 and will be followed by an Awards Ceremony and networking event.
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us and we will try to respond as soon as possible.
For more information, visit our website or Facebook page!
Sydney Short Film Festival is run in association with Close:Up, a collection of international film festivals supporting indie filmmaking. By establishing a working network among filmmakers, producers and marketing professionals, we share one common goal: to forge productive and lasting relationships between independent filmmakers and audiences.
Winners will receive certificates, laurels, and advice on upcoming film projects.
We accept films in the following categories:
Best Short Film
Best Short Drama
Best Short Comedy
Best Short Action
Best Short Experimental
Best Short Animation
Best Short Documentary
Best Music Score
Best Music Video
At our first event, we also awarded the Best Australian Film, sponsored by Camera Hire, a local company specializing in renting out top quality camera equipment to independent filmmakers and photographers all throughout Australia.
The winner of the prize received a voucher worth $1,000 AUD to spend on equipment rental!
(*- Voucher valid until 31 December 2019 to be redeemed by the prize winner only
- Voucher to be on hired equipment only (excludes insurance, deliveries, purchases etc)
- Not to be used in conjunction with any other offer or voucher
- Not transferrable for cash*)
- All films must be submitted in English or with English subtitles.
- All films must have been produced after 2010.
- Filmmakers are responsible for sorting out the copyright on their own materials.
- By submitting to us, you give us the right to screen your film in front of a live audience at Ritz Cinema.
- Nominations: All films nominated for every category.
Official Selection: Films selected for screening will be notified via email. If you received a Nomination email, but no Official Selection email, it means your film will not be screened, but is still a contender for an award in its category.
Award Winners: Chosen from both the Nominations and the Official Selection.
- We may promote clips from your film on social media, based on the press kits you provide us with.
- We retain the right to change the date and venue of the festival under special circumstances. All filmmakers will be informed about any changes through our online platforms.
- We place no restrictions on your work in terms of premiere status or whether your work has been made available online.
- Any technical issues with the submitted films are 100% the responsibility of the filmmakers. If, at the time of judging, your video file doesn’t work or doesn’t have English subtitles (if in a language other than English), it will be automatically rejected, without a refund. Please contact the festival team ASAP if there are any issues with the submission process, and a solution will be found.
- We cannot provide refunds.
- By submitting to us you agree to our terms and conditions and to receiving marketing newsletters and discounts about film festivals in the form of emails. We will never sell your information to third parties.
- We reserve the right to update our terms and conditions.