Thomas Edison Film Festival (TEFF) is a touring festival. TEFF has a serious, abiding commitment to the short form as its centerpiece and reason for being, and we celebrate independent short work under 60 minutes. Not a conventional destination film festival – we are a modernly fierce, socially conscious traveling festival, reaching out to diverse audiences with provocative, timely, edgy and compelling new works by both accomplished and emerging filmmakers.
Our annual collection of international indie films is screened to audiences throughout the world. Venues such as the National Gallery of Art, DC; Lewis Center for the Arts – Princeton; Dryden Theater; Roxie Theater – SF; Anthology Film Archives; Pocono Cinema & Cultural Center; Hoboken Historical Museum; Jersey City Theater Center; and numerous universities including: Syracuse, UDelaware, UC Santa Barbara, UArts, Towson, and University of Colorado – Boulder, host our unique programs every year.
Our programs often feature in-person appearances and talks with filmmakers. We offer assurance that your work is brought to a multitude of audiences, rather than a one-time showing (like most festivals). Touring and streaming happens yearly across the US and abroad. Given our extensive annual tour, opportunities for filmmakers to meet and greet audiences are considerable. Note: we do not offer fixed stipends for travel, housing or speaking.
The collection is perpetually available for online screening and your work is included in our annual print and digital booklet - a comprehensive and scholarly publication which lists and describes the selected works and awards.
Prizes and Awards:
Jury's Stellar Award for Animation
Jury's Stellar Award for Documentary
Jury's Stellar Award for Experimental
Jury's Stellar Award for Narrative
Jury's Stellar Award for Screen Dance
Global Insights Stellar Award - Exceptional awareness of global issues
ADA Award for a captioned film - Addressing diversity, equality, inclusion and access as encompassed by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Jury's Choice Award - 1st prize
Jury's Citation Award - 2nd prize
Director's Choice Award - 3rd prize
Honorable Mention - 4th prize
1. Films MUST BE LESS than 60 minutes in length. SHORTER FILMS RECEIVE FOREMOST CONSIDERATION!
2. ENTRY FEES ARE NEVER WAIVED.
3. All applicants must complete the official festival submission form located on FilmFreeway (https://filmfreeway.com/TIFF). TEFF reserves the right to disqualify any film not submitted through FilmFreeway without refund of any application fees.
4. All applicants MUST include support materials in their FilmFreeway submission including:
• Downloadable link for pre-screening & jury
• Film Stills – hi and lo res
• Film Description
• Filmmaker(s) Bio
• Contact information - Current email, mailing address & phone
• Trailer preferred but not required
4. The applicant holds the sole responsibility of copyright clearance of any copyrighted material in the film. Films including unauthorized copyrighted material are ineligible.
5. Films not in English MUST be subtitled in English.
6. Multiple versions of the same film will not be considered.
7. If the submitted film does not play, TEFF will make an attempt to contact the applicant based on the information supplied. If a replacement is not available, the film will be disqualified without refund.
8. Only completed films may be submitted. No rough cuts or works in-progress.
9. Filmmaker must own all rights to their film and music and/or have secured rights.
10. Inclusion in the festival does not insure a pubic screening; however, the festival collection will be made available on-line, in perpetuity.
11. TEFF does not provide comments, critiques or feedback regarding submitted films.