Dell and Adrian Grenier are seeking submissions for the “Legacy of Good” short documentary film contest, which aims to create inspiring stories on the circular economy movement and the role of technology in creating a better future.
A circular economy seeks to design waste out of the system, allowing us all to use resources more efficiently and for longer periods of time. The contest winner will be the entry that has the most promise to build awareness and understanding of the benefits of the circular economy and the role of technology in a more sustainable future.
Please note that your entry will be judged based on the following criteria:
1. Your idea for the proposed film discusses the role of technology in solving ecological challenges and creating a more sustainable future (i.e. climate change, pollution, etc.).
2. Your idea for the proposed film builds awareness and understanding of the benefits of a circular economy (http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/corp-comm/circular-economy).
Entries will be accepted January 22-March 31, 2016 and consist of a written synopsis (1-2 pages), short video (1-2 minutes, not a complete film) and any supporting visuals (e.g., storyboard) that help convey the filmmaker’s vision.
"We’re looking to engage filmmakers that are passionate about social good issues and want to drive positive change through the power of storytelling. There are many inspiring examples of how innovative thinking and new technologies can help us to create a more sustainable economy and we want to bring these stories to light to help inspire broader action.” - Adrian Grenier, Dell Social Good Advocate
A panel of film, circular economy and technology experts will judge submissions. The winner of the contest will be announced on Earth Day, April 22, 2016.
Adrian Grenier will present the prize package to the winning filmmaker by May 15. Mr. Grenier will work directly with the winning entrant to develop and promote the film, in conjunction with SHFT and Austin Film Society (AFS), and to enter the film in at least three (3) relevant film festivals. The final film must be 5-10 minutes long and completed by August 15.
Supporting partners committed to fostering digital storytelling include Adobe, Austin Film Society, FilmFreeway, The Huffington Post, RED Digital Cinema and SHFT.
Awards & Prizes
The winning filmmaker will receive a cash prize of $25,000 for production costs and $20,000 (approximate retail value) of technology for use in the making of the final short film.
The technology package includes a Dell Precision desktop workstation, Dell UltraSharp 27" 5K monitor, RED Scarlet-W camera and a year’s subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud.
Film production assistance will be provided by Adrian Grenier, SHFT and Austin Film Society (AFS).
The Huffington Post will produce a circular economy content series including a Q&A with the winning filmmaker and will screen the winning film online.
FilmFreeway is the film contest submission and promotion partner.
Rules & Terms
DELL LEGACY OF GOOD SHORT DOCUMENTARY FILM CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
THE FOLLOWING PROMOTION IS INTENDED FOR VIEWING IN THE UNITED STATES ONLY. DO NOT PROCEED IN THIS SITE IF YOU ARE NOT LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES.
1. Eligibility: Dell Legacy of Good Short Documentary Film Contest (the "Contest") is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry. Employees of Dell Marketing, L.P., Dell, Inc., and any of their parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Government employees including all federal, state, county, city or municipal government employees, state funded universities and colleges, all types of public officials including elected officials, private individual or firms where the government has outsourced government functions, and K-12 employees are not eligible. Employees of the City of New York are not eligible. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.
NOTICE TO HEALTHCARE EMPLOYEES: If you are an employee in the healthcare industry, prior to awarding any prizes you will be required to obtain certification that acceptance of the contest prize is permitted in accordance with applicable law and ethics policies of your employer.
2. Sponsor: Dell Marketing, L.P., One Dell Way, Round Rock, TX 78682.
3. Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in this Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor's decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. Timing: The Contest begins on January 22, 2016 at 3:01 p.m. ("CT") and ends on March 31, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. CT (the "Contest Period") and consists of the following phases ("Phases"):
Phase Start Date End Date
Submissions 1/22/16 3/31/16
Judging 4/1/16 4/21/16
Winner Announcement 4/22/16
Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. How to Enter: During the Submission phase, visit www.FilmFreeway.com/LegacyofGood and follow the instructions to complete and submit the registration form, if you are not already a member. It is free to become a member. Follow the directions to submit a written synopsis of 1-2 pages; a short video of 1-2 minutes (not a complete film); and any supporting visuals (e.g., storyboard) that help convey the filmmaker’s vision of how to build awareness and understanding of the benefits of the circular economy and the role of technology in a more sustainable future (the "Submission"), in order to receive one (1) Contest entry. A circular economy seeks to design waste out of the system, allowing us all to use resources more efficiently and for longer periods of time.
By uploading your Submission, you agree that it conforms to the Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions as defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Sponsor may disqualify you from the Contest if it believes in its sole discretion that your Submission fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions.
• The written synopsis portion of the Submission must not exceed two (2) pages and must be in text format and in English;
• The video portion of the Submission must be two (2) minutes or less (not a complete film)
• If the video portion of the Submission is in a language other than English, it must be sub-titled; and
• The Submission cannot have been submitted previously in a promotion of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly through any means.
• The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement. It is the sole responsibility of the entrant to secure authorization and permission from the owner(s) of any and all trademark and copyright content included within the Submission and the final film for use in film festivals and online. Entrant has a limited license to incorporate the Dell mark into his/her Submission for this contest;
• The Submission must not disparage Sponsor, or any other person or party affiliated with the promotion and administration of this Contest;
• The Submission must not contain text or material that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
• The Submission must not contain text that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
• The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where Submission is created.
Each entrant may enter the Contest multiple times during the Contest Period, but each Submission must be submitted separately. Submissions generated by script, macro or other automated means are void. Entrant must have permission from all individuals mentioned in the Submission (if any) to use their name and likeness in the Submission and to grant the rights set forth herein. If requested, entrant must be able to provide such permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsor. Uploading a Submission constitutes entrant’s consent to give Sponsor a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such submissions in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, entrant will sign any documentation required for Sponsor or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting to use the Submission. Released Parties (as defined in Section 9, below) are not responsible for lost, late, stolen, damaged, incomplete, invalid, un-intelligible, garbled, delayed or misdirected Submissions, all of which will be void.
In the event of a dispute regarding any Submission, the authorized account holder of the email address used to register will be deemed to be the entrant. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. Each potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
YOUR REPRESENTATIONS: By submitting an Entry, you affirmatively represent that you have read and agree to these Official Rules. In addition, by submitting an Entry, you represent that (a) the Entry is original, (b) you are the sole creator of the Entry, (c) the Entry does not infringe the intellectual property rights, including, any patent, copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights of any third party, (d) the Entry has not previously been entered in any other contest or competition, and (e) the Entry has not been previously published in any medium, (f) the Entry does not violate any local, state, national or foreign laws.
U.S. DIGITAL MILLENNIUM COPYRIGHT ACT NOTICE
If you believe that your work has been copied in any way without your permission, please provide the following information to our agent to receive Notification of Claimed Copyright Infringement identified below. Your notice must contain the following:
• Your electronic or physical signature;
• A description of the work you claim has been infringed;
• Identification of the work you claim infringes the copyrighted work and a description of where it is located on the Dell website;
• Your address, telephone number and email address;
• A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the infringing use is not authorized by the copyright owner, the copyright owner’s agent or by law; and
• A statement by you, under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
Our agent to receive Notification of Claimed Copyright Infringement can be reached as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Rights to Entries: You will retain ownership of your Entry, including all intellectual property rights which may exist in your Entry. Sponsor shall not acquire any right, title or ownership interest to your Entry. However, by submitting an Entry, you grant Sponsor the unconditional and perpetual right, license and consent to reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, and exhibit the Entry in any media throughout the world in relation to the Contest, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you or any other party. By submitting an Entry, you further agree not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against Sponsor, or any other person, on the grounds that Sponsor’s use of your Entry as set forth in these Official Rules infringes any of your rights, including, without limitation, copyrights, patent rights, trademark rights, or moral rights (droit moral). You further acknowledge that Sponsor is in no way obligated to protect any intellectual property rights which may exist in the Entry or to publish or use your Entry in any way, even if it is selected as the winning Entry. Nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture, or partnership relationship between you and Sponsor. In no way are you to be construed as the agent or to be acting as the agent of Sponsor. Please note that following the end of this Contest you and your Entry may be publicized as having participated in the Contest, including distribution online or via media or posting on Sponsor’s site or a third-party website. Sponsor is not responsible for any unauthorized use of your Entry by those accessing or viewing your Entry. If you do not want to grant these rights to your Entry, you may not enter this Contest. You further understand and acknowledge that Sponsor or other Participants may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your Entry and you/your team waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your Entry. Additionally, you understand that Sponsor cannot control the incoming information you will disclose in the course of entering, or what Sponsor’s employees or representatives will remember about your Entry. You also understand that Sponsor will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your Entry. You further understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit from Sponsor for use of your Entry as provided in these Official Rules, other than what is described in these Official Rules. This provision does not limit any compensation you may receive through us or third parties as a result of your use or marketing or profiting from the Submission beyond this Contest or as provided in these Official Rules.
7. Winner Determination: After the conclusion of the Contest Period, a panel of qualified judges determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion will select the potential winner from among all eligible Submissions received, based on an application of the following criteria (“Judging Criteria”):
• Creativity/Originality (25%);
• Quality of Submission (25%); and
• Fit to Contest Theme of holding the most promise to build awareness and understanding of the benefits of the circular economy and the role of technology in a more sustainable future. (50%)
In the event of a tie, the entrant whose Submission received the higher score in the Fit To Contest Theme, as determined by the qualified judges in their sole discretion, will be deemed the potential winner. Sponsor reserves the right to select fewer than the stated number of winners, if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Submissions.
8. Winner Requirements: Potential winner will be notified by email, mail or phone on or around April 22, 2016. Except where prohibited, each potential winner will be required to sign and return to Sponsor within ten (10) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release and a valid W9 form (for prizes exceeding $600 in retail value), which must be received by Sponsor within ten (10) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, in order to claim his/her prize. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release or provide any other requested information within the required time period (if applicable), does not comply with these Official Rules, or prize is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits the prize. If a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, the prize may be awarded to a runner-up determined by the qualified judges, in Sponsor's sole discretion. Only three (3) alternate winners may be determined, after which the applicable prize will remain un-awarded. Acceptance of any prize shall constitute and signify each winner’s agreement and consent that Sponsor and its designees may use the winner’s name, city, state, likeness, Submission and/or prize information in connection with the Contest for promotional, advertising or other purposes, worldwide, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, including the Internet, without limitation and without further payment, notification, permission or other consideration, except where prohibited by law. Each winner accepts and acknowledges that Sponsor shall not be obligated to use the Submission and that Sponsor in its sole discretion shall have the right to refrain from using the Submission. By entering, entrant agrees he/she is in compliance with all of his/her employers’ rules, policies, and procedures that relate accepting prizes. Each winner will indemnify Sponsor, Released Parties (as defined in Section 9, below) and any licensee of Sponsor against all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable counsel fees and legal expenses) arising out of any breach of these terms. Prizes will be fulfilled on or around May 15, 2016.
9. Prizes: The prize package consists of the following:
1. One (1) Cash prize of $25,000 to be used for production costs of a final short video of 5-10 minutes;
2. One (1) Dell Precision Workstation (Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) $2,049);
3. One (1) Dell UltraSharp 5K monitor (ARV: $2,199);
4. One (1) RED Scarlet-W camera (ARV: $14,500); and
5. One (1) year subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud (ARV: $600).
In addition, the winning entry will be produced by Adrian Grenier, the Dell Social Good Advocate, and Mr. Grenier will work directly with the winning entrant to develop and promote the film, in conjunction with SHFT and Austin Film Society, and to enter the film in at least three (3) relevant film festivals. The Huffington Post will produce a circular economy content series including a Q&A with the winning filmmaker and will screen the winning film online. The final film will be 5-10 minutes in length and must be complete by August 15, 2016. The winner will be required to meet monthly with Dell Inc. representatives including its Social Good Advocate, Adrian Grenier, to provide an update on and receive feedback on the documentary film production process to help ensure the quality and timeliness of delivery of the final short documentary film, and by entry into the contest agrees to include in the final film producer credits for Dell Inc., Adrian Grenier, Austin Film Society and SHFT, in addition to acknowledgment of Competition partners Adobe, FilmFreeway, The Huffington Post and RED Digital Cinema.
The actual value of electronic prizes is subject to price fluctuations in the consumer marketplace based on, among other things, any gap in time between the date the ARV is estimated for purposes of these Official Rules and the date the prize is awarded or redeemed. Total ARV of all prizes: $45,000.
Prizes are non-transferable and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. Winners are responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. Limit: One (1) prize per person.
10. Release: By entering, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, Dell, Inc., and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
11. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, human error or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. If terminated, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, determine the winners from among all non-suspect, eligible Submissions received up to time of such action using the judging procedure outlined above. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the Submission process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and void all associated Submissions. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies (including attorneys’ fees) from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
12. Limitations of Liability: Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing, typographical or other errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the Submission process or the Contest; (4) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the uploading, the processing or judging of Submissions, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize (including any travel/activity related thereto). Released Parties are not responsible for misdirected or undeliverable Submissions or for any technical problems, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of any Submission.
13. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by United States District Court for the Western District of Texas and the Texas State District Court in Williamson County, Texas. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant’s rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Texas, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Texas or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Texas.
15. Winner List: The winner’s name will be published at www.filmfreeway.com/legacyofgood, after winner confirmation is complete.