ASTRA Science Fiction & Fantasy Film Festival is a first for Western Australia. The inaugural festival will showcase the very best local, national and international short sci-fi and fantasy works. Screened in the heart of Perth's creative hub of Leederville at "The Backlot", a private boutique cinema with unparalleled comfort and home of the world famous Heath Ledger "Joker" mural. There will be finger food, food trucks, and the chance to speak with filmmakers, genre fans and a plethora of awards over one fun filled night in May.
The event is open to all. Films not in English should be closed captioned to English.
Awards will include: Best Actor, Best Cinematography, Best Sound, Best Production Design, Best SFX, Best Director, Best SciFi, Best Fantasy, Best Film, People's Choice, and others to come
Prizes TBC So watch this space
Terms and Conditions
1. All filmmakers/applicants or entity submitting a film to the ASTRA Science Fiction & Fantasy Film Festival (hereafter known as ‘ASTRA, ‘ASTRA SFFFF' ‘We’, ‘Us” and ‘Our”), accept and agree to comply with the following Terms and Conditions
2. ASTRA only accepts online registrations and submissions to be assessed. We accept films in any language. However, films not made in English must have English subtitles. ***FILMS ARE IDEALLY 10 MINUTES. LONGER SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS ***
3. The person submitting a film to ASTRA Science Fiction & Fantasy Film Festival is ‘You’ or ‘Your’ and You agree that Your film may be screened at ASTRA Science Fiction & Fantasy Film Festival event, if it is selected.
4. We only accept films that have been produced during and after 2017
5. All submission fees are non refundable.
6. How to Submit
• Complete and submit Your online submission form.
• Pay relevant Submission fee
• You will receive confirmation of Your successful registration
• Films must be submitted via an online platform.
Student and Young Filmmaker category entrants must be registered in a recognised film school, university, college, high school, middle school or elementary school with proof of ID from the institution to qualify for the relevant fees.
You must supply the following:
• Your Student ID
• Name of school, college or university
• Name of Your Course
• Lecture or teacher
• Email of lecturer or teacher
7. Filmmakers submitting must also supply:
• Production credits and contact details
• 5 Photos for promotional purposes, no smaller than 1024 x 576 pixels
• Media pack for promotional use by ASTRA SFFFF
• Film Poster
• A short trailer of the film (Optional)
8. All films will be accepted and assessed with the view to screening them at a ASTRA event(s). However, only films included in the Official Selection will be screened at a cinema venue(s). If Your entry is selected as part of the Official Selection for ASTRA, You must provide Us with a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) in order for it to be screened. You will receive instructions on how to submit your DCP.
9. Cinema screenings are scheduled during the festival and or event at the discretion of ASTRA. We undertake to make every effort to adhere to the published schedule program, however, ASTRA reserves the right to alter this schedule and venue at any time for any reason. ASTRA does not accept any liability for any costs claimed to arise as a result of a change in the scheduling.
10. Awards may be presented during the ASTRA, at the discretion of the organisers and the Jury Panel.
11. By submitting a film, You grant us the right to screen Your film at one or more ASTRA Film Festival event, copy and/or reproduce, modify, adapt and any part thereof, up to one (1) minute of the film submission. We may also use Your submission and any other promotional material/photo’s and/or information submitted by You to communicate it to the public in all media, including via our website and publicity materials, or to advertise and promote ASTRA, event(s), its products and services, or all, and to showcase Your film.
12. You own the copyright to Your film as its author and represent and warrant that You have (and will continue to have during the duration of ASTRA and thereafter) all necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions we need to use Your film and You will provide evidence of such on our reasonable request.
14. We accept no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by any person as a result of submitting a film to ASTRA and its curation and all related events.
15. You indemnify and hold harmless ASTRA from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening materials entered.
For further information contact ASTRA Sci-Fi & Fantasy Film Festival: ASTRASFFFF@gmail.com