The NOFLASH Video Show is an annual event dedicated to showcasing rigorous new work by the most innovative emerging time-based artists and filmmakers, local and international.
NOFLASH focuses on avant-garde short films, but all time-based work is considered, in the following categories: hybrid/experimental short films, narrative/documentary short films, feature film, moving-image installation/video art, live performance art and sound art.
The third annual NOFLASH Video Show is sponsored by the Rutgers Filmmaking Center and the Zimmerli Art Museum at Rutgers University.
NOFLASH is highly selective yet noncompetitive. We provide a professional and social setting for work to be showcased and discussed with other artists and an enthusiastic public. Attendees at past NOFLASH events mostly hail from the burgeoning New Jersey film/arts scene, but plenty make the one-hour trip from New York City and Philadelphia.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. If you fail to abide by the rules below, your submission(s) will be automatically disqualified.
- Submissions are welcome from emerging artists of any age, but please note that we only accept emerging artists. If you feel you do not fall under this category, please do not submit. In a similar sense, we prefer east coast premieres, and will not consider works that have had an abundant amount of official public screenings.
- No more than TWO submissions per person. All submissions are final and no refunds will be provided. Acceptance decisions will be sent out in March 2019.
- Please do not submit the same work to multiple categories.
- Heavy preference given to works under 20 minutes, except for looping works, the feature-length film category, and special circumstances.
- We prefer works completed in 2018/2019, but will accept works dated as early as 2017.
- If your work is in a language besides English, it must have burned English subtitles.
- No matter the form of the work, you must provide: Artist's name, Name of work, Country of origin/production, duration, and a brief synopsis (no more than two sentences). Please fill out the FilmFreeway project/artist profiles with as much detail as possible.
- Submission fees will go directly to expenses related to the show. If you are submitting with the reduced student fee, you must provide proof of student status with your submission (photo of ID attached to the submitted project is fine).
- By submitting your work, you allow the NOFLASH staff access to your submitted work in its entirety, including but not limited to snippets/still images for promotional purposes; and if accepted, you will be prepared to provide NOFLASH with a digital screening copy within seven days of notification. (We love a good 8mm/16mm screening, but do not have the resources to exhibit film at this time. Please do submit HQ digital transfers.)
- At this time, NOFLASH is unable to provide travel/lodging in any capacity for accepted artists (though we are happy to make recommendations). No screening fees will be paid to accepted artists.
- NOFLASH organizers/judges have no obligation to accept submitted works, or to provide an explanation as to why work has been rejected. We do not provide feedback on submitted works.