Picture this: catch a great film, chat with some cool people, grab some great food, go for a quick dip in the crystal blue water in the middle of the day, catch some more great films, and by ends day clamp by the beach to watch the sun kiss the horizon.
Who wouldn't want that kind of film festival experience?
The production of the Cabo Verde International Film Festival was, and continues to be, inspired by the morabeza, the enchanted landscapes, and the electrifying vibe of Sal Island. It provides the perfect backdrop for an international film festival experience; it is a paradise par excellence. Our mission is to bring together Art, Cinema and Industry, while presenting a bazaar of exceptional films and filmmakers from around the world.
Starting in 2017, CVIFF is introducing the student category, but with a national focus. That category is only opened to university students in Cabo Verde in their 3th and 4th year. The objective of having a student category with a national focus is so we can cultivate, inspire, and encourage the next generation of Cabo Verdean filmmakers to create and display their work in public spaces.
The officially selected films will compete for awards in their respective categories and the Parda Award, which goes to the best film of the festival. Members of the jury will vote for the Parda Award as well as the awards for Best Short Film, Best Short Documentary, Best Feature Film, and Best Feature Documentary. All award winners will be announced during the official closing of the festival, which is also announced in real time through social media. No monetary prize is granted.
For the student category only short films and short documentaries can be submitted. Films will compete for best student short, best student short documentary, and best student film. The awards for the students will be announced at a later date.
ENTRY ELIGIBILITY FOR COMPETITION:
• Film must be completed prior to submission
• Film must be independently financed
• Short: less than 45 minutes
• Feature: 45 minutes or longer
• Filmmaker is allowed to submit more than one project only if the films are submitted in different categories
• Film and trailer must be in MPEG or MP4 format
• All films submitted are legally authorized to use all music, images, and content
• Film must have subtitles prior to submission:
1) if the dialogue is in any language other than Cabo Verdean Creole or Portuguese, it must have Portuguese subtitles;
2) if the dialogue is in Cabo Verdean Creole or Portuguese, it must have English subtitles
FILMS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR COMPETITION:
• previously submitted to Cabo Verde International Film Festival
• have aired on any Cabo Verde television prior to festival dates
• are available for purchase on DVD in Cabo Verde
• are available for public online viewing in its entirety
• student (please see separate rules & regulations for students in Cabo Verde only)
• Feature Film
• Feature Documentary
• Short Film
• Short Documentary
• Feature Film & Feature Documentary: 3.500 CVE / 35 USD /35 Euros
• Short Film & Short Documentary: 2.500 CVE / 25 USD / 25 Euros
FOR STUDENT FILM SUBMISSION::
ENTRY ELIGIBILITY FOR COMPETITION
♣ Student film must be produced in Cabo Verde
♣ University students in their 3rd and 4th year
♣ Student film must be completed prior to submission
♣ Student film must be independently financed
♣ Length: must be under 90 minutes
♣ Student is allowed to submit more than one project only if the films are submitted in different categories
♣ Student film must have subtitles prior to submission:
o if the dialogue is in Cabo Verdean Creole or Portuguese, it must have English subtitles
All student films submitted must be legally authorized to use all music, images, and content
Film NOT eligible:
o previously submitted to Cabo Verde International Film Festival;
o aired on any Cabo Verde television prior to festival dates;
o is available for purchase on DVD in Cabo Verde;
o is available for public online viewing in its entirety;
ENTRY CATEGORIES (NO FEES):
♣ Film (feature or short)
♣ Documentary (feature or short)
♣ Entry must be submitted online only via FilmFreeway: https://filmfreeway.com/festival/CaboVerdeInternationalFilmFestival
♣ Film and trailer must be in MPEG or MP4 format
A CVIFF selection committee will make the official selections. Officially selected films will be notified via FilmFreeway.
The officially selected films will compete for Best Student Film and Best Student Documentary. CVIFF jury members vote for the awards. All winners will be announced during the official closing of the festival.
QUESTIONS please contact us via email: StudentFilmSubmission@cviff.org