For national submissions, go to https://filmfreeway.com/KortfilmfestivalLeuven
Leuven International Short Film Festival is the yearly place to be in December for film professionals in Belgium and abroad.
As Academy Award Qualifying festival since 2012, BAFTA award qualifying since 2016 and European Film Award nominating since 2017, it's the main Belgian gateway to the most renowned award ceremonies worldwide.
The festival will take place from Saturday December 1 until Saturday December 8 in the beautiful medieval city of Leuven. The festival programme consists of more than 100 screenings in 4 venues. The programme contains live action fiction films, animated shorts, short films for children, non-narrative shorts and VR. Every year, the festival screens more than 200 short films from all over the world, divided into more than 25 different compilations. Beside the film programme, the festival organises challenging masterclasses, workshops and panel discussions, giving film professionals from Belgium and abroad inspiring moments of learning and networking possibilities.
- One short film in competition will be nominated for the European Film Awards
EUROPEAN COMPETITION: FICTION
- Jury Award: €1.000 donated by the festival + Academy Award™ Qualifying
- Audience Award: €2.000 purchasing prize from CANVAS
FLEMISH COMPETITION: FICTION
- Jury Award: €10.000 shooting kit hire from Eye Lite + Academy Award™ Qualifying
- Audience Award: €2.000 purchasing prize from CANVAS + €10.000 post production support from Mikros Image and A-Sound.
- Jury Award for Best Debut: €1.500 donated by SABAM
- Jury Award for Best Actor/Actress: €1.000 donated by Playright+
FLEMISH COMPETITION: ANIMATION
- Audience Award: €1.000 purchasing prize from Dalton Distribution + 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 donated by LaCie, worth €1.500
FLEMISH COMPETITION: DOCUMENTARY
- Jury Award: La Guarimba 10 day residence program in southern Italy
- Live action fiction (European Competition)
- Other types of short film (International non-competitive programmes*)
- Duration: max. 40 min.
- Finished after January 1st, 2017
- English subtitled (!)
- Entry deadline: August 1, 2018
We strongly advice to submit your film earlier than the official deadline.
The festival will not confirm the receipt of submissions. We kindly ask you to refrain from calling or emailing us to confirm the receipt of your material. All applicants will be notified via e-mail about the selection or rejection of their film at the end of October. No earlier feedback is given.
If the original language of the submitted film is other than English, the film must be subtitled in English. We also require English subtitles for Dutch language films. Your film will not be considered if not subtitled in English (if not English spoken)., but even English spoken films are encouraged to provide English subtitles.
The selection committee’s decision to select or reject a film is final. No correspondence will be held in regards to this decision. If a film is selected for one of the competition programmes of Leuven International Short Film Festival, it can no longer be withdrawn.
* The international non-competitive programmes consist of:
animation, short films for children (without dialogue), non-narrative short films, VR, comedy shorts, thematic programmes (TBA), ... from all over the world.