Pastel Wasteland Film Festival is being held at the iconic No.6 Cinema in Portsmouth, nestled within the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. Located in the Grade II listed Boathouse 6, built in 1846, the 275-seat auditorium boasts one of the biggest screens on the South Coast.
At Pastel Wasteland we are all about supporting genre filmmakers and we're incredibly passionate - maybe even a little obsessed - with horror, science fiction and anything that makes your skin crawl. We want these films to be seen. Where many festivals have an audience filled almost entirely of other filmmakers, we're pushing our festival out into the eye of the public. We want to give successful submitters the opportunity to experience the thrill of everyday film fans seeing their projects on the big screen.
This day-long film festival will be split into the following:
1) Filmmaker Meet and Greet/ Networking
Mingle with fellow filmmakers and the audience at the well-stocked bar; serving wine, beer, soft drinks and snacks. This will be a great opportunity to get your name out there and make some new friends and contacts before the films start.
2) Short Film Screening Block One
Five to six short films, lasting 60 minutes in total.
4) Short Film Screening Block Two
Five to six short films, lasting 60 minutes in total.
5) Award Ceremony for Filmmakers
This is what you came for! Check out the Awards & Prizes section for more info.
6) Break and Networking
7) Exclusive World Premiere of "I Am An Addict"
Anyone who is attending the event will want to stick around for the world premiere of the horror anthology "I Am An Addict"!
The Pastel Wasteland Film Festival is run in association with Apple Park Films and Familiar Stranger Films.
We know how deflating it can be to turn up to a Film Festival, and be given a cheap trophy looking like a last-minute run to the pound shop. For all of our awards, we are creating a stunning, custom design trophy, depicting a bright pink Pastel Wasteland gas mask, that will be the pride of your ever-growing awards cabinet.
Each winning film will be given a write-up posted to our official blog at www.pastelwasteland.com and shared with our network to ensure you keep getting new fans long after the festival has ended.
** AWARD CATEGORIES **
1) BEST FILM
2) BEST DIRECTOR
The best Director category is being judged by none other than Chris Jones, Director of the Oscar shortlisted 'Gone Fishing.' Chris also runs the London Screenwriters Festival and is the author of the highly influential 'Guerilla Filmmakers Handbook' and 'Guerilla Filmmakers Blueprint.'
3) BEST SCREENPLAY
The best screenplay category is being judged by Bob Schultz, Screenwriter, Producer and co-founder of The Great American Pitchfest. Bob is also a screenwriting consultant and owner of Slugline Scripts.
4) BEST PERFORMER
We don't split our award into Actor/Actress, so this award will go to the best performer in a submitted film, regardless of gender.
5) WASTELAND WANDERER
Every now and then you draw a Wild Card that sticks with you for reasons you can't quite describe. This award will go to that film.
6) BEST LOCAL FILM (Hampshire Based).
- Films must be in the Horror or Sci-Fi genre or be heavily influenced by these genres. We accept hybrid genre films as long as they incorporate the aforementioned niches in a big way. If you're unsure, please get in touch before submitting.
- Films must be a maximum of fifteen (15) minutes in length, no exceptions.
- One entry per submission fee.
- No waivers and no screening fees will be paid. All fees are non-refundable under any circumstance, so PLEASE check all details before submitting!
- In our first year we are not able to support filmmakers' travel expenses/ hotel costs. If you'd like to attend (and we'd love to have you!) please get in touch as we can help point you in the direction of the most affordable options.
- One free screening ticket will be provided to officially selected films. Any additional crew/ cast/ persons wanting to attend will have to buy a ticket through the No. 6 Cinema website (URL coming soon).
- It is the responsibility of the filmmaker to clear all rights before your film screens at the festival. By submitting you agree that you shall indemnify and hold harmless Pastel Wasteland Film Festival and the No.6 Cinema from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
- By submitting, if accepted, you agree to grant the festival the right to use film images for promotional purposes.
- Notification: Filmmakers of selected films will be notified by email or phone.
- The Pastel Wasteland Film Festival jury is composed of film production, exhibition and press members. Their decisions on official selections, award nominees and award winners are final.
- Selected films must be provided at least two weeks prior to the festival with a 5.1 mix, on either DCP or high quality digital file.
- We don't speak with all this legal jargon in real life! We are a group of passionate filmmakers who want to put on an awesome evening to make new friends and watch some killer films - and we really hope you'll join us.