We love movies, and if you are reading this, you do too.
Our vision is to foster the next generation of talented filmmakers. We like to say that we are discovering the filmmakers of tomorrow, today!
To the filmmakers: We aim to be the go to festival for up-and-coming filmmakers, in Canada and around the world. We do this by offering engaged audiences in the beautiful setting of Huntsville, Muskoka; by offering a night of free accommodations; by throwing exciting parties, networking functions and filmmaker talkbacks; and by hosting special guests to bring valuable exposure to your work. Most importantly, we provide awards for great work in all categories: feature, doc, short, music video, and webseries/online content. Each year we grow the prestige of our awards and attach valuable prizes. Stay tuned for this year’s announcements. We close out each year’s activity when we host a Cinemuskoka filmmaker party at TIFF in Toronto one week after our festival closes.
To the audience: We offer a diverse curation of the best work of our
up-and-coming artists, as well as opportunities to meet and greet the filmmakers and actors. At Cinemuskoka everyone is a VIP. When you buy a ticket, you walk the red carpet with our filmmakers. We invite you to enjoy the films, come to the parties, ask questions at our Q&A gatherings and share in the excitement for our outstanding talent at the Award Ceremonies. Each year we strive to have free events as well. In 2017 we held free screenings nightly in River Mill Park on a giant 40-foot inflatable screen. Stay tuned for this year’s line-up of exciting events.
Up-to-date info can always be found on our Facebook page, or by following us on Instagram and Twitter. If you have any questions or comments, please contact us – firstname.lastname@example.org .
Special Jury Award
Spot Light Award
Cinemuskoka Discovery Award
Best Documentary Feature
Short Film Narrative
Special Jury Award
Best Muskokan Short
Best Screen Play - Short Film
Best Muskokan Short Documentary
Special Jury Award
Special Jury Award
Best of Fest Award
2018 FILM COMPETITION RULES
1. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
2. Films must be submitted as an online streaming video via a participating submission platform (FilmFreeway), a password-protected streaming URL, or on DVD with NTSC or PAL formatting (please test before sending).
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: Cinemuskoka (“CMFF” or the “Festival”) is not responsible for the streaming quality of online screeners. If you choose to submit an online screener and would like to guarantee the quality of your submission, CMFF strongly suggests you submit a DVD in addition to your online streaming submission.
4. In the event of a password change or link change after submitting, you must email the Festival immediately with that change so we may update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect the Festival will send an email to the submitter’s address on file to follow up. If a response with the correct information is not received within forty-eight (48) hours, the submission may be deemed ineligible.
5. CMFF screens films as digital files during the Festival and does NOT screen films on Blu-Ray, HD-CAM, or DCP. If you are unable or unwilling to provide us your film as a digital file for exhibition, DO NOT SUBMIT your film.
6. Films with distribution (obtained prior to being selected for CMFF screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition but may be considered for a special screening. Selection for screening will be determined no later than one month prior to the festival.
7. Short Films that are publicly available online prior to the Festival may be considered for exhibition during the Festival, but will be ineligible for Jury Awards. We prefer shorts not be publicly available online.
8. Private invite-only screenings (for instance for cast and crew or donors) do not affect a film’s eligibility
9. AFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you are acknowledging that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in the film, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. AFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
3. BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, THE APPLICANT HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ANY LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.
1. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished and will judge each submission as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is entered, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. That said, because CMFF's focus is solely on story, minor technical changes will not affect the final decision of any film. Should the film be accepted to play during the Festival, the filmmaker will have the opportunity to supply the festival with their most recent version.
2. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by CMFF in connection with the dispute.
3. You MUST include your physical address either in your entry or in your cover letter. Please do not submit a film without giving us your address, which we need for our records.
4. Payments made with a check are subject to our Bounced Check Policy: If we receive a returned check from our bank for a payment you made, you will be invoiced for the original amount of the check plus a $25 bank fee. The payment of the invoiced amount will be due within 30 days of invoice date. We will not re-submit the original check, nor will we accept another check for repayment. Repayment must be made by money order or cashier’s check.
5. Please include in your cover letter if your film was SHOT OUTSIDE OF A MAJOR CITY (include locations) or made by FILMMAKERS NOT FROM A MAJOR CITY. We have a special RURAL FILM MAKER category for which your film may be eligible if it is not selected for the feature or short competition, and we don't want to miss your film!
Cinemuskoka Festival does NOT waive entry fees. CMFF believes waiving entry fees hurts the integrity of the competition. The same rules and entry fees should apply to all applicants so no one film is favored over another. In a similar respect CMFF does NOT invite films to be in competition. ONLY films submitted will be considered for competition.
We understand the financial constraint of filmmaking and costs of submitting to Festivals and we still hope you can find it in your budget to submit your film.
Selected Films and Winners
1. CMFF has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
2. CMFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by CMFF or by its volunteers.
3. Winners will be announced on Sept 4, 2018. The judges’ decision is final.
RETURNS & ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:
DVDs and press materials will not be returned under any circumstances. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for each submission if you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your entry.
COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS