Dublin World Film Festival champions new film talent by providing a seasonal showcase and meeting point for new and established filmmakers, industry delegates and the local audience.
The festival is a friendly and inclusive festival in which the work of emerging filmmakers is presented in the context of an international programme. We believe that international collaboration is vital for filmmakers. The festival not only advocates the importance of short films in progressing future generations of filmmakers but provides a meeting place where the partnership can begin. The selection process has two parts. First, the submitted projects are judged through private screenings by our internal programming team, and they will select the semi-finals films of each edition. Then the Festival's jurors, a random team of invited experts mainly from the film industry, will privately review the films and award the best projects. All of the winners will receive the official laurel and an achievement certificate. The winner's announcements will be released through our social media to help promote the films.
Awards & Prizes:
Best narrative short film
Best first time filmmaker short
Best student short
Best documentary short
Best animation short
Best experimental short
Best horror short
Best dance short film
Best sci-fi short
Best Covid film
Best music video
Best web series
Best women empowerment short
Best human rights‘ film
Best LGBTQ short
Best female director
Best male director
Best original screenwriting
Best unproduced short script
Rules & Terms
1. The festival is open to short films of all production techniques, forms, genres and budgets.
2. The primary contact completing the submission process must be authorised to submit the film for consideration including permission from a distributor or sales agent representing the film and must have obtained necessary permissions for the inclusion of copyrighted music and/or images within the films. With this submission, the applicant confirms that they possess all rights necessary for the screening of the submitted film at this film festival.
3. Films must have been completed after 30 September 2015 with a maximum duration of 50 minutes including credits.
3. Films previously submitted to previous editions of the festival will not be considered. If substantial structural changes have been made to the film since a previous submission, please contact us through email to discuss your entry.
4. The festival has no premiere status rule, and accepts works that are available online.
5. The festiva does not have the facility to apply refunds. Please ensure your film meets the eligibility criteria before submitting.
6. Applicants may enter as many eligible films as they wish. A separate entry form, upload and additional entry fee is required for each film submission.
7. Discounts for multiple submissions must be sought before the films have been submitted. Multiple discounts cannot be applied retrospectively after the films have already been submitted.
8. The festival accepts submissions via FilmFreeway. You are able to upload your film as a digital file via a secure external link, or to provide a password-protected Vimeo link, once your registration details have been completed. Dublin film festival guarantees that your film will never be used in any way other than that to which you agree and will not be available online to the public.
9. Please ensure that your upload adheres to the specifications supplied by FilmFreeway.
10. Please submit your film digitally.
12. It is up to the applicant to ensure that the preview copy is in full working order.
13. For all enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
14. If the original language of any dialogue or text featured in the film is not English, the preview and screening copy must be subtitled in English, unless this is at variance with the filmmaker’s intention.
15. Submitted films are viewed by two or more members of the selection team. All programming selections are at the discretion of the Director, whose decision is final.
16. The festival will not provide comments on films prior to submission, nor reasons for rejection of a submitted film,
17. The festival will not confirm the receipt of submissions and preview copies. All applicants will be notified via e-mail about the selection or rejection of their film.
18. There are no fees for participating in the festival competitions. Participants are not entitled to claim rental or other fees for the screenings of their films at the festival.
19. In the event of the live festival being unable to go ahead due to extreme circumstances such as the COVID-19 crisis, the festival will take place online. Films will be screened on a password-protected VoD hub for a period of no more than 48 hours, geo-blocked for public access, but available for all accredited international industry attendees. Selected filmmakers will be informed in advance of this change, and will have the opportunity to withdraw their film from selection if they so wish. In the event of withdrawal, submission fees will not be refunded.
20. In addition to the reproduction of stills of selected films for all the Festvial publications and press, selected films may also be screened as part of preview screenings to promote the event .
21. At the point of payment on your submission you will be asked if you have read and agreed with the festival’s regulations. By agreeing to proceed with your submission you are agreeing to these regulations and your application can then be processed. Entry of a film is binding and implies acceptance of these regulations.
22. In the event of disagreement concerning the interpretation of the regulations, the interpretation of the festival will take precedence.
23. Failure to comply with these regulations may result in the submission being disqualified.
24. These regulations are subject to change without prior notice.
25. Full delivery instructions will be provided on notification of selection.
26. It is the responsibility of the submitter to inform the festival of any change to the onward delivery address, otherwise the festival reserves the right to return the screening copy to the contact address as specified during submission.