"This is a festival built by artists for artists and the people who love their work. - Terry Kiser (Weekend at Bernie's, Rachel, Rachel), Festival Co-Founder
For one weekend each year, the Ouray International Film Festival invites filmmakers, cinema scholars, and movie buffs to the “Little Switzerland of America” located in the heart of the Colorado Rockies.
Less than an hour drive from Telluride, Ouray is home to world-famous hot springs, nineteenth-century hotels, epic hiking trails, and the historic Wright Opera House where most of the festival programming takes place.
In June 2022, come join award-winning actor Terry Kiser and the rest of the festival team for a weekend of jury-selected film screenings, conversations among filmmakers and scholars, networking opportunities, parties, and custom awards. All in a mountain town that has been consistently ranked on one of the best vacation destinations in Colorado.
A jury, comprised of the festival's Executive Team and a group of invited guests, determine winners in approximately eight categories. Winners in each category are awarded custom medallions that are hand-crafted by local Colorado artisan Lisa Issenberg.
* All films must be submitted electronically through filmfreeway.com.
* All submissions must have been completed no earlier than January 1, 2020.
* Each submitter may only submit one entry per category.
* Films that were not selected in previous years are not eligible to resubmit this year.
* Foreign-language films must supply English subtitles.
* While we enjoy hosting premiers, we welcome submissions from films that have screened at other film festivals.
* Films that have screened theatrically, on television, or online are not eligible for submission.
* We do not accept works-in-progress at this time.
We encourage submissions in the following five categories:
Narrative Feature Films (40 minutes or more)
Documentaries Feature Films (40 minutes or more)
Short Films (40 minutes or less)
Student Short Films (40 minutes or less)
International Cinema (40 minutes or less; the majority of the film must be in a language other than English)
Music Videos (music videos may be available online as long as their production and posting occurred after Jan. 1, 2020. Original video file must be submitted via FilmFreeway).
We encourage animators to submit their work in any category!
* By submitting your film to the Ouray International Film Festival, you grant permission to the festival to screen your film at the festival if your film is selected.
* Accepted films grant that they have secured all the necessary permissions to enter this film to the Ouray International Film Festival and that the film does not infringe the rights, including copyright, of any third party. This includes use of music and literary material.